White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
Good with Rios and Crain. It would be interesting to see what the packages being floated for Sale are.
Which team has 4 top-50 prospects?

And no declining veterans that the Sox know and love so well, please. Don't use him, or anyone else, to build another ceiling 85 win team.

This is a trade suggestion I like.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-s...at-must-happen
Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Astros, but they're surely not trading four of them for Sale, when Cosart or Appel could pitch at the same level within 2-3 years.

Let's be realistic, there's no way a team is going to completely sell the farm for Sale. We may get two A-level prospects/young MLB players and some lesser prospects with upside in the lower minors.

In which case, it would depend on who's coming back.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Astros, but they're surely not trading four of them for Sale, when Cosart or Appel could pitch at the same level within 2-3 years.

Let's be realistic, there's no way a team is going to completely sell the farm for Sale. We may get two A-level prospects/young MLB players and some lesser prospects with upside in the lower minors.
Key word COULD. Very few will or do. But obviously the Astros wouldn't trade for him....they're years away from contending themselves.

As for two A- prospects, better not tell that to the Cubs who think they're getting an A for Garza (which, of course, they won't). And that's why you keep Sale, as teams won't even give up a prospect who even projects to be as good as him, if he hits maximum potential and things go perfectly.

The Astros made a terrific trade getting 2 A/A- prospects for Pence who was then very good but never a difference maker.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:28 PM
WSI High Priest

If Sale goes anywhere, it will be Texas IMHO.

I have said this a lot, will say it again, but a combo of Profar-Perez-Olt-Grimm or even a bounce back guy like Feliz, I would do it. I LOVE Chris Sale, I hope we keep him, but a few teams CAN get him if they wanted
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Texas, St Louis, and Boston have the goods.

I'd personally love a return of Taveras and Wacha plus Wong/Adams etc. Though I still believe any Sale trade rumors are bogus.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Sale is the guy you want to build around. I can't imagine the Sox get anywhere close to the return you should for a player like that.

This team has an enormous amount of money coming off the books the next 2 years. Don't be dumb. Shed more salary early, and make sound investments. This team can be rebuilt pretty quick with money alone.

I don't believe in this idea that you keep it together and add a guy or two though. This team isn't even close.

If you can dump Peavy's money on someone, could invest in Josh Johnson with Don Cooper in the house. I don't see many hitters in the free agent market that make sense for the Sox until 2015 though. They need some complete studs to step in soon to replace Konerko's contributions and upgrade Dunn's position. Maybe hold on to Rios to make sure you have a guy around in 2015 if you think you can get a team together by then.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Sale is the guy you want to build around. I can't imagine the Sox get anywhere close to the return you should for a player like that.

This team has an enormous amount of money coming off the books the next 2 years. Don't be dumb. Shed more salary early, and make sound investments. This team can be rebuilt pretty quick with money alone.

I don't believe in this idea that you keep it together and add a guy or two though. This team isn't even close.

If you can dump Peavy's money on someone, could invest in Josh Johnson with Don Cooper in the house. I don't see many hitters in the free agent market that make sense for the Sox until 2015 though. They need some complete studs to step in soon to replace Konerko's contributions and upgrade Dunn's position. Maybe hold on to Rios to make sure you have a guy around in 2015 if you think you can get a team together by then.
You cant build this team on money alone, not even close, not with the paltry farm we have. You have to restock the farm and supplement between home grown quality and top free agents. Right now, looking at 2015, the Sox do not have a number 2 SP (assuming Danks never comes back 100% from the surgery but remains a quality 3)... you have a 1, a 3, and a collection of back end arms. 2015 the Tigers will still have Verlander and Scherzer, minus a trade/injury.....

Offensively, you have an 8 or 9 hitter in Gordon and you have a 7 or 8 hitter MAYBE in Phegley. Nothing in the farm resembles a middle of the order hitter by 2015. It won't be easy.

You don't keep Rios, he will be like 34 or 35 at that point.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I don't see many hitters in the free agent market that make sense for the Sox until 2015 though. They need some complete studs to step in soon to replace Konerko's contributions and upgrade Dunn's position. Maybe hold on to Rios to make sure you have a guy around in 2015 if you think you can get a team together by then.
I don't think he would come to White Sox since he is a Boras guy, but how about Ellsbury???? Has had some injury issues, many of which have been caused by his effort going after balls, but he is a solid hitter and a great base-stealer. Rumors here in New England say he is going to Cubs.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Choo would be a great pickup, though I imagine he'll be going for a pretty penny. Having a bat like that in the 2 hole would definitely stabilize the offense, though he'd probably have to hit third with this lineup.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Choo would be a great pickup, though I imagine he'll be going for a pretty penny. Having a bat like that in the 2 hole would definitely stabilize the offense, though he'd probably have to hit third with this lineup.
Why would the Reds move him?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Why would the Reds move him?
I believe he is a free agent after this season. These posts are about signing him.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

His splits are pretty ****ty! Could end up a platoon player....

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Rios was pulled for Casper Wells in the top of the 7th. He's not injured and the game day thread says he was seen hugging teammates in the dugout.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 PM
WSI Personality

twitter is blowing up

Robert T Simon ‏@RobertSimonEsq 1m
@mlbtraderumors @Ken_Rosenthal Alex Rios headed to Pirates. Package includes at least Hanson. Did they part with Polanco or Taillon? TBD
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 PM
WSI Personality

Brian Hamilton ‏@BHam2421 2m
Sounds like Alex Rios to #Pirates for Alan Hansen. Great deal for #WhiteSox if true.

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 15m
Alen Hanson, Pirates SS prospect, pulled from his game nearly the same time Rios pulled from this one. Coincidence? Stay tuned.

my favorite:
Fornelli ‏@SouthSideAsylum 7m
BREAKING: Alex Rios traded to the Rangers for Matt Garza
Followed by Scott Merkin and 4 others

Last edited by Gammons Peter; 07-19-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Closed Thread