White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM
VenturaBlvd VenturaBlvd is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Sale was robbed, charity MVP for Rivera

For sure. Just spent 3 innings voting for Sale. I should have known better.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 772
Default

1) It was good to see the American League win the game.
2) It was good to see Chris Sale get the win.
3) The win gives the White Sox home field advantage when they host the World Series this fall.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
Dibbs Dibbs is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Downers Grove
Posts: 1,894
Default

Nothing wrong with the charity MVP for Mariano. He deserves it. Great showing for Sale. Having a guy like that can accelerate a rebuilding process.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM
SOXPHILE SOXPHILE is online now
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest Suburbs
Posts: 3,796
Default

Fix was in. Rivera should not have gotten the MVP, but I knew he would. In NY, his last All Star appearance, etc. Short of him getting lit up, he was gonna get it. Kinda reminds me of the the farce that was the 1992 NBA All Star Game, in Orlando. Magic Johnson comes back for one more game, it was in Orlando, the Magic, get it ?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
CoopaLoop CoopaLoop is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Des Plaines
Posts: 1,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Nothing wrong with the charity MVP for Mariano. He deserves it. Great showing for Sale. Having a guy like that can accelerate a rebuilding process.
Agreed. Always cool to have send offs for all time greats.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
DSpivack DSpivack is online now
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Evanston
Posts: 28,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
Fix was in. Rivera should not have gotten the MVP, but I knew he would. In NY, his last All Star appearance, etc. Short of him getting lit up, he was gonna get it. Kinda reminds me of the the farce that was the 1992 NBA All Star Game, in Orlando. Magic Johnson comes back for one more game, it was in Orlando, the Magic, get it ?
It's the All-Star Game MVP, who really cares who wins it.
__________________
Attendance records:
09 : 3-2.
10 : 2-3.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM
amsteel amsteel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,201
Default

If the game is supposed to matter the accolades within the game should too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Soxman219 Soxman219 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Munster, Indiana
Posts: 3,118
Default

#SaleMVP is trending on twitter
__________________
Setbacks are setups for comebacks
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM
CHISOXFAN13 CHISOXFAN13 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oak Lawn
Posts: 5,292
Default

Leyland's explanation for pitching Rivera in the eighth was pretty funny.

Sale wins it any other year, but I have no problem with Mo winning it. Just wish he would have closed it out.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 PM
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 23,539
Default

Idiotic explanation for the guy who ran onto the field tonight.
http://www.nydailynews.com/twitter-d....1400666#bmb=1
__________________
Bullpen wanted
Good arms now being accepted at 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 AM
cards press box cards press box is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,868
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
In a pitching duel like this, Sale should be the MVP.
Absolutely right. Six up, six down for Chris Sale with 2 K's. Sale had the longest and best pitching performance in a 3 hit shutout for the winning team and no AL offensive player had a standout night. Oh, and Sale was the first AL pitcher to throw two perfect innings in an All-Star game since Roger Clemens in 2001. And Sale won the game!

Sale absolutely should have been the MVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Sale was robbed, charity MVP for Rivera
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Nothing wrong with the charity MVP for Mariano.
I disagree. First of all, when Cal Ripken got his "charity MVP" in his final All-Star Game in 2001, who was the real deserving MVP? In my view, the MVP of the 2001 All-Star Game should have been Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez who went 2-3 with a homer.

So, with the two most prominent "charity All-Star MVP's" of our lifetime (and, by the way, Ripken and Rivera are the only players to be named All-Star MVP in their final season), two White Sox players got screwed of MVP awards that they earned.

And that is what really sucks about charity awards in sports. Players and teams are supposed to get what they earn. Awarding "charity trophies" messes that up. Let's not forget that sporting events are about what happens between the lines. They are not supposed to be popularity contests, for crying out loud.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 AM
soxnut1018 soxnut1018 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
And that is what really sucks about charity awards in sports. Players and teams are supposed to get what they earn. Awarding "charity trophies" messes that up. Let's not forget that sporting events are about what happens between the lines. They are not supposed to be popularity contests, for crying out loud.
It's an all star game.
__________________
"Occasionally I will rock our scouts with a little quote or two from Lil Wayne. No one can put together a phrase better than that gentleman." -Bears GM Phil Emery
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,218
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Absolutely right. Six up, six down for Chris Sale with 2 K's. Sale had the longest and best pitching performance in a 3 hit shutout for the winning team and no AL offensive player had a standout night. Oh, and Sale was the first AL pitcher to throw two perfect innings in an All-Star game since Roger Clemens in 2001. And Sale won the game!

Sale absolutely should have been the MVP.



+1



I disagree. First of all, when Cal Ripken got his "charity MVP" in his final All-Star Game in 2001, who was the real deserving MVP? In my view, the MVP of the 2001 All-Star Game should have been Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez who went 2-3 with a homer.

So, with the two most prominent "charity All-Star MVP's" of our lifetime (and, by the way, Ripken and Rivera are the only players to be named All-Star MVP in their final season), two White Sox players got screwed of MVP awards that they earned.

And that is what really sucks about charity awards in sports. Players and teams are supposed to get what they earn. Awarding "charity trophies" messes that up. Let's not forget that sporting events are about what happens between the lines. They are not supposed to be popularity contests, for crying out loud.
Absolutely agreed. If you want to honor a legend like Rivera or Ripken, given them a "Lifetime Achievement Award" or some such. Don't do it every year; just when appropriate, like for Ripken and Rivera.

The profound disrespect for the Sox galls me, because if Rivera were a White Sox and Sale were a Yankee, Sale would have gotten the MVP.
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Absolutely agreed. If you want to honor a legend like Rivera or Ripken, given them a "Lifetime Achievement Award" or some such. Don't do it every year; just when appropriate, like for Ripken and Rivera.

The profound disrespect for the Sox galls me, because if Rivera were a White Sox and Sale were a Yankee, Sale would have gotten the MVP.
Well if Rivera was a White Sox he probably wouldn't have 5 world series rings and be anywhere as well known as is his today, hence it wouldn't even be a debate for the MVP.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,337
Default

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already since the Sox hosted the All-Star Game. I'm figuring that we'll be waiting another 20 years to host again since that'll take us to 2033, which will be the 100th anniversary of the 1st All Star Game (which was played at Comiskey Park).

The Mets had to wait 49 years to host again. I wonder if that's a record long wait for a franchise to host an ASG?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.