White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Sale was robbed, charity MVP for Rivera

For sure. Just spent 3 innings voting for Sale. I should have known better.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI Personality

1) It was good to see the American League win the game.
2) It was good to see Chris Sale get the win.
3) The win gives the White Sox home field advantage when they host the World Series this fall.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nothing wrong with the charity MVP for Mariano. He deserves it. Great showing for Sale. Having a guy like that can accelerate a rebuilding process.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fix was in. Rivera should not have gotten the MVP, but I knew he would. In NY, his last All Star appearance, etc. Short of him getting lit up, he was gonna get it. Kinda reminds me of the the farce that was the 1992 NBA All Star Game, in Orlando. Magic Johnson comes back for one more game, it was in Orlando, the Magic, get it ?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Nothing wrong with the charity MVP for Mariano. He deserves it. Great showing for Sale. Having a guy like that can accelerate a rebuilding process.
Agreed. Always cool to have send offs for all time greats.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXPHILE View Post
Fix was in. Rivera should not have gotten the MVP, but I knew he would. In NY, his last All Star appearance, etc. Short of him getting lit up, he was gonna get it. Kinda reminds me of the the farce that was the 1992 NBA All Star Game, in Orlando. Magic Johnson comes back for one more game, it was in Orlando, the Magic, get it ?
It's the All-Star Game MVP, who really cares who wins it.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

If the game is supposed to matter the accolades within the game should too.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

#SaleMVP is trending on twitter
Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Leyland's explanation for pitching Rivera in the eighth was pretty funny.

Sale wins it any other year, but I have no problem with Mo winning it. Just wish he would have closed it out.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Idiotic explanation for the guy who ran onto the field tonight.
http://www.nydailynews.com/twitter-d....1400666#bmb=1
Old 07-17-2013, 12:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
In a pitching duel like this, Sale should be the MVP.
Absolutely right. Six up, six down for Chris Sale with 2 K's. Sale had the longest and best pitching performance in a 3 hit shutout for the winning team and no AL offensive player had a standout night. Oh, and Sale was the first AL pitcher to throw two perfect innings in an All-Star game since Roger Clemens in 2001. And Sale won the game!

Sale absolutely should have been the MVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Sale was robbed, charity MVP for Rivera
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Nothing wrong with the charity MVP for Mariano.
I disagree. First of all, when Cal Ripken got his "charity MVP" in his final All-Star Game in 2001, who was the real deserving MVP? In my view, the MVP of the 2001 All-Star Game should have been Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez who went 2-3 with a homer.

So, with the two most prominent "charity All-Star MVP's" of our lifetime (and, by the way, Ripken and Rivera are the only players to be named All-Star MVP in their final season), two White Sox players got screwed of MVP awards that they earned.

And that is what really sucks about charity awards in sports. Players and teams are supposed to get what they earn. Awarding "charity trophies" messes that up. Let's not forget that sporting events are about what happens between the lines. They are not supposed to be popularity contests, for crying out loud.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
And that is what really sucks about charity awards in sports. Players and teams are supposed to get what they earn. Awarding "charity trophies" messes that up. Let's not forget that sporting events are about what happens between the lines. They are not supposed to be popularity contests, for crying out loud.
It's an all star game.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Absolutely right. Six up, six down for Chris Sale with 2 K's. Sale had the longest and best pitching performance in a 3 hit shutout for the winning team and no AL offensive player had a standout night. Oh, and Sale was the first AL pitcher to throw two perfect innings in an All-Star game since Roger Clemens in 2001. And Sale won the game!

Sale absolutely should have been the MVP.

+1

I disagree. First of all, when Cal Ripken got his "charity MVP" in his final All-Star Game in 2001, who was the real deserving MVP? In my view, the MVP of the 2001 All-Star Game should have been Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez who went 2-3 with a homer.

So, with the two most prominent "charity All-Star MVP's" of our lifetime (and, by the way, Ripken and Rivera are the only players to be named All-Star MVP in their final season), two White Sox players got screwed of MVP awards that they earned.

Absolutely agreed. If you want to honor a legend like Rivera or Ripken, given them a "Lifetime Achievement Award" or some such. Don't do it every year; just when appropriate, like for Ripken and Rivera.

The profound disrespect for the Sox galls me, because if Rivera were a White Sox and Sale were a Yankee, Sale would have gotten the MVP.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Absolutely agreed. If you want to honor a legend like Rivera or Ripken, given them a "Lifetime Achievement Award" or some such. Don't do it every year; just when appropriate, like for Ripken and Rivera.

The profound disrespect for the Sox galls me, because if Rivera were a White Sox and Sale were a Yankee, Sale would have gotten the MVP.
Well if Rivera was a White Sox he probably wouldn't have 5 world series rings and be anywhere as well known as is his today, hence it wouldn't even be a debate for the MVP.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already since the Sox hosted the All-Star Game. I'm figuring that we'll be waiting another 20 years to host again since that'll take us to 2033, which will be the 100th anniversary of the 1st All Star Game (which was played at Comiskey Park).

The Mets had to wait 49 years to host again. I wonder if that's a record long wait for a franchise to host an ASG?