White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 01:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

I really think the reason Hawk has become so unlistenable is Stone. When he is paired with Wimpy in their short runs he's a different guy. The hatred between him and Stone, along with the Sox play, is making for terrible TV.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM
WSI Regular

Forget Costas, they should get Boers and Bernstein from the Score to host the program. After all, Hawk claims those two guys actually invented baseball, football, basketball and hockey.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I really think the reason Hawk has become so unlistenable is Stone. When he is paired with Wimpy in their short runs he's a different guy. The hatred between him and Stone, along with the Sox play, is making for terrible TV.
So you are suggesting the lack of hatred between Hawk and Wimpy? Or for that matter, Hawk and whoever he's working with!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I actually think the broadcasts have been better this year than last season. They seem to be making more of an effort to engage each other in conversations about the game and the issues afflicting our team. I don't sense nearly as much tension between them as I did last year. One thing I do know is that Hawk, Stone, Farmer, and DJ are all earning their money this year. Those four guys need to describe 9 innings (sometimes more) of a truly awful and dead ass baseball team just about every single day.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-15-2013, 06:23 PM
WSI Personality

I understand that Hawk enjoys his job (most of the time). If he understood how much his abilities have declined, how tired his act is, would he want to continue?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe they can hire a new broadcaster, leave Hawk in the booth and mute his mic. Just don't tell him. That way everyone's happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 07-18-2013, 09:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's on tonight at 6 pm on the MLB Network. I plan to sit back, relax and strap it down.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
So you are suggesting the lack of hatred between Hawk and Wimpy? Or for that matter, Hawk and whoever he's working with!
Compared to he and Stone basically ignoring each other all the time, yes.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Will there be a special introduction from Yaz?
Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI Regular

To be fair to Stone, Harrelson doesn't really offer much in terms of conversational hooks to bring Stone into the discussion.

Stone is very knowledgeable, but I've heard he's kind of a jerk to be around outside the booth.

I personally think they both should go, and the Sox should put a completely new team there.

I used to dislike DJ, but I actually think he does a better job on the radio than he did on TV, so maybe you leave the radio crew alone.

But clearly the TV broadcast needs a major overhaul, especially if they are going to be bad for a few seasons, since Hawk is absolutely insufferable when the team is playing poorly due to his personality and homer mentality.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

In what I'm sure will go down as one of the strangest interviews ever, Ken Harrelson was on the WSCR morning show this morning.

In the interview, and I'm not making this up, Harrelson said the he (Ken) and he (Hawk) are different people, and many a time Hawk had to tell Ken to get out of the way. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he was just trying to illustrate different aspects of his single personality, but he just kept going and going even speaking of his 2nd personality in the third "person".

Still and all though, it was completely Harrelson. Create a second personality and you create a deniability for ever having done anything stupid, embarrassing or wrong. Just blame it on the other guy who occupies your head.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingXerxes View Post
In what I'm sure will go down as one of the strangest interviews ever, Ken Harrelson was on the WSCR morning show this morning.

In the interview, and I'm not making this up, Harrelson said the he (Ken) and he (Hawk) are different people, and many a time Hawk had to tell Ken to get out of the way. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he was just trying to illustrate different aspects of his single personality, but he just kept going and going even speaking of his 2nd personality in the third "person".

Still and all though, it was completely Harrelson. Create a second personality and you create a deniability for ever having done anything stupid, embarrassing or wrong. Just blame it on the other guy who occupies your head.
I heard it too, and boy was it bizarre.

But an interesting point I learned today... Hawk played in the '72 Open Championship at Muirfield.

I also just found this interesting piece on Hawk from SI in '66. I always thought his stories were a bit far-fetched and that he was embellishing a bit. Maybe I should take his stories more seriously...

Old 07-18-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Personality

From what I know Hawk is signed up to broadcast the White Sox for a few more years. That being the case, I would think Stone would probably be the one to leave. I've always been under the impression that Stone doesn't especially like announcing for the White Sox. He's made a number of comments in the past about the White Sox attendance and his comments weren't good. I've met him a few times, both as a player and announcer. I think the one best word I could use to describe him would be arrogant. I hope he's gone after this season. At his age I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't hookup with another full time job as an announcer.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:17 PM
WSI High Priest

FYI the stories about Stone are... TOTALLY... true. He is one of the biggest jerks ever away from the booth.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
I used to dislike DJ, but I actually think he does a better job on the radio than he did on TV, so maybe you leave the radio crew alone.
I agree, although I think that DJ still leans a bit too heavily on goofy catchphrases. "Ya-ka-tow," anyone?