White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
WSI Prelate

Tuffy Rhodes was being heralded as Babe Ruth after one game.

We are looking nearly as silly.

Flowers homered in the opener. Some likely thought, "Well, it was OK to not have AJ!"

Not saying Phegley won't be good or even great, but come on. Let's not sound like people posting on the Sox page on Facebook.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

FYI that caller was from the Sox Postgame show. I think B & B were just playing a clip.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Check back with me in April. I want to see how the league adjusts to him after they have thoroughly scouted him and if he can adjust. Then we'll know if he's the Real Deal.

All hail The Rick
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Check back with me in April. I want to see how the league adjusts to him after they have thoroughly scouted him and if he can adjust. Then we'll know if he's the Real Deal.
Actually that's still too early. I'd be hard pressed to believe in a guy after half a season in the big leagues.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
FYI that caller was from the Sox Postgame show. I think B & B were just playing a clip.
Dan & Terry are on the record as not believing in Phegley from all the way back in April/May. They'll badmouth him just to stay consistent, so don't expect any kind words from them.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Actually that's still too early. I'd be hard pressed to believe in a guy after half a season in the big leagues.
Given how much playing time he seems to be getting, three months of film at The Show, plus AAA film should be enough for most teams to spot his weaknesses and strengths.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Dan & Terry are on the record as not believing in Phegley from all the way back in April/May. They'll badmouth him just to stay consistent, so don't expect any kind words from them.
And they don't like him just because he's a Sox prospect. Which is kind of my point. They'll go out of their way to piss on the Sox organization. Not that the Sox organization doesn't deserve criticism for what we've seen this year. But no reason for hope is allowed on the South Side in Dan and Terry's world.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
Being happy is fine, just making any comparison to a Hall of Famer after less than a week in the big leagues is a bit much. I'm happy, and he's become a reason to tune in. But beyond that, success in baseball is fickle and sometimes fleeting.
Well, of course comparisons to Bench are ridiculous after just one week. But the issue is those guys assign that one outlandish assertion to an entire fan base and ridicule everyone who is hopeful that the kid will stick.

Maybe it's just schtick. You'd like to think so.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
And they don't like him just because he's a Sox prospect. Which is kind of my point. They'll go out of their way to piss on the Sox organization. Not that the Sox organization doesn't deserve criticism for what we've seen this year. But no reason for hope is allowed on the South Side in Dan and Terry's world.
I'm a regular listener to B&B and they've actually been Phegley "supporters" from at least as far back as spring training. Sure, they'll have a little fun with fans suggesting he's the second coming of Johnny Bench, but they've been pretty positive about him. Or, at least 'positive' for them. Also, they had him on the show on 7/9. You can listen to the interview at the Score's website.

Bernstein's a Sox fan. His attitude wouldn't be at all out of place on this board. To suggest they don't like him simply because he's a Sox prospect doesn't ring true at all.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:24 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

No one is calling Phegley "Rookie of the Century"!!!

Remember this article?
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=1109407
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
It is, of course, possible that Phegley's health issues are resolved and being healthy, he is showing the talent that made him one of the better catchers in college baseball while at Indiana.

Phegley is certainly a bright spot right now and, hopefully, a harbinger of the good things to come from the young talent that the Sox may acquire in the upcoming deadline deals that everyone anticipates.
Hopefully this. The book has not been written about him yet. Once the film is broken down, let's hope he's still a spark for us.

If we could get an above average defensive catcher who can hit above .250, I'd be ecstatic. Then, I'd take someone like Flowers as a back-up. There's a long career ahead of him if he can do a good job as a back-up.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Given how much playing time he seems to be getting, three months of film at The Show, plus AAA film should be enough for most teams to spot his weaknesses and strengths.
Identifying strengths and weaknesses are one thing, but actually executing a game plan against a hitter is another. I've just seen too many young guys tear it up for half a season (or even an entire season) just to tank the very next year.

Being a Hoosier and Sox fan, I'm pulling for Josh all the way.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 PM
WSI High Priest

The night I watched him, I saw some pretty sloppy play behind the plate. He can hit, not sure how good the defense is (he's been successful at throwing out runners).

I'm excited by his play. I read a prediction of .300 hitter with low .OBP and high power. That's awesome. Let's not use the word Bench for about 3 years if possible.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:55 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I'm a regular listener to B&B and they've actually been Phegley "supporters" from at least as far back as spring training. Sure, they'll have a little fun with fans suggesting he's the second coming of Johnny Bench, but they've been pretty positive about him. Or, at least 'positive' for them. Also, they had him on the show on 7/9. You can listen to the interview at the Score's website.

Bernstein's a Sox fan. His attitude wouldn't be at all out of place on this board. To suggest they don't like him simply because he's a Sox prospect doesn't ring true at all.
The bottom line is if I called B&B and compared Phegley to say, Russell Martin, I'd be laughed off the air and told Phegley has no prayer of ever becoming a .250 hitter who averages about 15 home runs in a season like Martin.

That's their schtick. That's who they are.

No thanks, I'll take a pass on the Score's website.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Identifying strengths and weaknesses are one thing, but actually executing a game plan against a hitter is another. I've just seen too many young guys tear it up for half a season (or even an entire season) just to tank the very next year.

Being a Hoosier and Sox fan, I'm pulling for Josh all the way.

This exactly how I feel as well.