White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 11:30 AM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default Catcher Josh Phegley

Matthew Pouliot thinks Josh Phegley is the new big thing.
Phegleys' eight RBI through five games is tied for the 10th highest total in big league history.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...w-yasiel-puig/

The Charlotte Observer did a on him recently:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...struggles.html
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-12-2013, 11:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

A caller on the Boers and Bernstein show referred to him as Johnny Bench. Um, guys, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Sure it's a nice start for him, but um...Gillespie started out pretty good too...so uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, let's see how a couple weeks, a month serve him before we anoint him to anything.

Now he's playing great don't get me wrong, but let's see how he keeps it going.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

So far, so good. IF he succeeds, there will still be plenty of bumps in the road. Enjoy this for as long as it lasts, and keep your fingers crossed about his future.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

All I want is someone who can catch the ball, throw out most runners trying to steal and handle the pitching staff. If the catcher hits .260 or .270 with 10-12 homers per season, that would be cool, too.

I hope this isn't asking too much.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
All I want is someone who can catch the ball, throw out most runners trying to steal and handle the pitching staff. If the catcher hits .260 or .270 with 10-12 homers per season, that would be cool, too.

I hope this isn't asking too much.

Considering what we had to start this season, this would be a God send. I as well could live with a competancy level such as this. I guess we got spoiled having Pudge and AJ wearing the tools of ignorance.

BK59
Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
A caller on the Boers and Bernstein show referred to him as Johnny Bench. Um, guys, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Sure it's a nice start for him, but um...Gillespie started out pretty good too...so uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, let's see how a couple weeks, a month serve him before we anoint him to anything.

I heard that caller. He said that Phegley ''kind of reminds me of Johnny Bench''.....in B & B's world,that translated to the entire delusional White Sox fan base saying that he is the next Johnny Bench,so they went on and on about that opinion for the next hour.

Those guys hate Hawk so much,it has not spilled over to the Sox in general. They worship Theo so much,he can do no wrong,while Hahn and the Sox are just not as smart as Theo.

It is baseball....fans and media always try to compare players to past stars. Bench was short and stocky,right handed and swung for power,hence the comparison to Phegley who has hit 3 homers and 8 rbis in his first five games....who should fans compare him to at this point? Tyler Flowers?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post

Wow, I thought it was tough to beat some of the posters here in terms of ridiculous expectations for callups and soon to be callups, but that takes the cake!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Wow, I thought it was tough to beat some of the posters here in terms of ridiculous expectations for callups and soon to be callups, but that takes the cake!
Hey, his metrics right now are similar to Adam Dunn, and everyone hates him!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
WSI Guru

He's 4-for-20. People need to calm down.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
He's 4-for-20. People need to calm down.
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut 75% of those 4 hits were dingers. So over the course of 162 games, he's on pace for 75 homers!!! Look out home run king!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I heard that caller. He said that Phegley ''kind of reminds me of Johnny Bench''.....in B & B's world,that translated to the entire delusional White Sox fan base saying that he is the next Johnny Bench,so they went on and on about that opinion for the next hour.

Those guys hate Hawk so much,it has not spilled over to the Sox in general. They worship Theo so much,he can do no wrong,while Hahn and the Sox are just not as smart as Theo.

It is baseball....fans and media always try to compare players to past stars. Bench was short and stocky,right handed and swung for power,hence the comparison to Phegley who has hit 3 homers and 8 rbis in his first five games....who should fans compare him to at this point? Tyler Flowers?
Yeah, the whole perception is amusing to me. Not just B & B, but in general.

Sox fans are subject to scorn for being excited about Josh Phegley, whose three home runs have been off David Price, Matt Garza and Anibal Sanchez -- three established MLB starters. Yes, it's only 20 ABs and he could still flame out, but I don't see the harm in being happy about the handful of things we have to be happy about as Sox fans.

Cubs fans are allowed to be excited every time Baez hits a home run in Double-A or Almora goes 3-for-4 in low-A ball. Why shouldn't Sox fans be allowed to be happy about a prospect coming up to the majors and getting a few big hits against established MLB pitchers?

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

He's clearly on the juice.

Seriously though, let's wait a little longer before we make ridiculous comparisons. Heck, even waiting a full year of games might be a mistake. Just look at Geovanny Soto.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post

It wouldn't put it past me that Bernstein has his buddies call in to the show to spew this crap. He's got to tell the world how smart he is.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Yeah, the whole perception is amusing to me. Not just B & B, but in general.

Sox fans are subject to scorn for being excited about Josh Phegley, whose three home runs have been off David Price, Matt Garza and Anibal Sanchez -- three established MLB starters. Yes, it's only 20 ABs and he could still flame out, but I don't see the harm in being happy about the handful of things we have to be happy about as Sox fans.

Cubs fans are allowed to be excited every time Baez hits a home run in Double-A or Almora goes 3-for-4 in low-A ball. Why shouldn't Sox fans be allowed to be happy about a prospect coming up to the majors and getting a few big hits against established MLB pitchers?
Being happy is fine, just making any comparison to a Hall of Famer after less than a week in the big leagues is a bit much. I'm happy, and he's become a reason to tune in. But beyond that, success in baseball is fickle and sometimes fleeting.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

It is, of course, possible that Phegley's health issues are resolved and being healthy, he is showing the talent that made him one of the better catchers in college baseball while at Indiana.

Phegley is certainly a bright spot right now and, hopefully, a harbinger of the good things to come from the young talent that the Sox may acquire in the upcoming deadline deals that everyone anticipates.