White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Yes they have been. These same players won 85+ games last year. That was not 30 games above their head.
The ridiculous hyperbole doesn't help.
I note Quintana, whom you claim is well below average, outpitched Verlander, as he has done all season.
It's hyperbole to take also-rans and say their also-ran performance is somehow below expectation.

It's hyperbole to claim Verlander has been outpitched by Quintana. Before yesterday, Verlander had Quintana in EVERY pitching category. Today, he has a .04 advantage in a single category, ERA. Even now, he's not outpitching Verlander. Not even close.

It's hyperbole to say that this team is last year's squad. It's not. It's got old players who regressed last year, the year before, and now this year. That's not bad luck or unexpected production. That's a natural progression that every reasonable person saw coming. It's unfair to not expect regression simply becuase we barely lost the division last year with a ****ty team. It's unfair not to expect Dunn to suck. There is significant precedent. It's unfair not to expect our pitchers to spend significant time hurt or ineffective. They've proven to be made of glass. It's not unfair to have expected our defense to be bad. We replaced solid and exceptional defenders with guys that had no place on the diamond, and got a career season out of our shortstop defensively that now people want to act like is the expectation. That's unreasonable, it was the only year he was that good. Blame yourself for that. And most importantly, it is not unfair to expect players like Flowers, Viciedo, et al to completely bust. What's not fair is saying that it is unfair. How is it unfair? Because the team told you they weren't garbage? Because ten vocal posters mirrored that this offseason based on nothing but their gut and a word from the GM that opposed the view of every expert imaginable? Sorry, they are garbage and they always were. Next year, they'll still be garbage.

This team isn't going to lose 100 games because they're having career worst seasons. This team is going to lose 100 games because they're miserably beyond hope of rectification 100 loss bad. Luck doesn't cause that. You have to be bad to do that. We are bad. Accept it. The more you cling to the false notion that we're not, the more miserable you will be.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Question: If the Sox don't get the offers they are seeking and decide to stand pat rather than sell below market value, how would any of you feel about that?
I'd hope they'd sell. I think they'll need the salary relief. What benefit do we have in keeping a guy like Thornton. What we may be able to work out is a multiple pitcher deal: Thornton + Lid for prospects.

As far as comparisons to last year, I think we were healthier last year along with more production from Peavy. You also had AJ's offense and PK's too. Throw in Alexei stinking it up and you have quite a difference.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Speaking of trading Sale, ya gotta wonder with his mechanics, that skinny arm and so on, is he a surgery waiting for a happening? Maybe a trade should be entertained

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 07-11-2013, 08:30 AM
WSI Personality

I keep reading where Hahn says the White Sox will build their team around their starting pitching. If that's true perhaps the White Sox won't make any major trades before the deadline. If Hahn keeps the starting pitching we have, the only way he could improve this team in the offseason is sign some free agents who can hit. There are numerous free agents who can hit and help this team. (K. Morales, Mclouth, and McCann) Keeping our starting pitching and adding some free agents who can hit would be the fastest and easiest way to turn this team around. They might make some minor moves before the deadline but it looks to me as if nothing major will happen.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

"Chris Sale is ours, and you can't have him."

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/7/1...ffffffffffffft
Old 07-11-2013, 08:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
Speaking of trading Sale, ya gotta wonder with his mechanics, that skinny arm and so on, is he a surgery waiting for a happening? Maybe a trade should be entertained
Oh, please. Not again! Round 36 of the [not so] great debate: Chris Sale v. Inevitable Tommy John Surgery.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
"Chris Sale is ours, and you can't have him."

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/7/1...ffffffffffffft
Great share, thank you

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I'd hope they'd sell. I think they'll need the salary relief. What benefit do we have in keeping a guy like Thornton. What we may be able to work out is a multiple pitcher deal: Thornton + Lid for prospects.

As far as comparisons to last year, I think we were healthier last year along with more production from Peavy. You also had AJ's offense and PK's too. Throw in Alexei stinking it up and you have quite a difference.
Actually the Red Sox are at least looking at Rios as well. They have had a lot of missed games by outfielders. With Ellsbury most likely leaving after this year, maybe a Thornton-Rios package might get us a couple of their 2nd tier prospects
Old 07-11-2013, 05:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Actually the Red Sox are at least looking at Rios as well. They have had a lot of missed games by outfielders. With Ellsbury most likely leaving after this year, maybe a Thornton-Rios package might get us a couple of their 2nd tier prospects
We should get a good prospect for Rios. Not elite, but right after that.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
We should get a good prospect for Rios. Not elite, but right after that.
They have 2 studs in AAA ( SS and CF) who are considered untouchable especially considering Ellsbury's situation. But they have another SS/3B who has been tearing up in ML ( hitting .387 over 50 games) since recalled 6 weeks ago. He is probably also untouchable now. They also have 3 young third-basemen--ML-AAA-AA. Maybe the AA will be available.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
They have 2 studs in AAA ( SS and CF) who are considered untouchable especially considering Ellsbury's situation. But they have another SS/3B who has been tearing up in ML ( hitting .387 over 50 games) since recalled 6 weeks ago. He is probably also untouchable now. They also have 3 young third-basemen--ML-AAA-AA. Maybe the AA will be available.
Tell the Red Sox to anti up. If they want Rios and Thornton the Sox should stand their ground and demand Iglesias and the AA prospect or one of the studs (prospect) or move on too another team.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN 28m One of the outfielders the Rangers are looking at is Alex Rios of the White Sox, who is under contract for 2014, at $12.5m, option for '15.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Tell the Red Sox to anti up. If they want Rios and Thornton the Sox should stand their ground and demand Iglesias and the AA prospect or one of the studs (prospect) or move on too another team.
I know it won't happen, but I'd love Bogaerts for Rios and Thornton.

"If he hit somebody, we canít charge the mound because heís too big." -Adrian Beltre on Adam Dunn
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
Absolutely. While we can't wait forever to kick start this rebuild, there's no reason not to demand max value this deadline on Rios. There's clear competitive interest in him and settling doesn't help Hahn or this franchise in any future - immediate or otherwise. I would settle for one real boom-or-bust stud who may be a bit off and extras, but it has to be centered around a potential impact player.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018 View Post
I know it won't happen, but I'd love Bogaerts for Rios and Thornton.

From all I have read, Bogaerts and Bradley are untouchable. I am guessing Iglesias is also now in that group after his showing since being called up. That makes Middlebrooks expendable but he is in a hitting funk in AAA. My guess is White Sox would go for their AA 3rd baseman who is highly regarded. Red Sox unfortunately continue to win and their bullpen seems to be holding in. But they need a lefty.
Closed Thread