White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 46,798
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Question: If the Sox don't get the offers they are seeking and decide to stand pat rather than sell below market value, how would any of you feel about that?
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #137  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,586
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Nope.
Yes they have been. These same players won 85+ games last year. That was not 30 games above their head.
The ridiculous hyperbole doesn't help.
I note Quintana, whom you claim is well below average, outpitched Verlander, as he has done all season.
  #138  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,586
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Question: If the Sox don't get the offers they are seeking and decide to stand pat rather than sell below market value, how would any of you feel about that?
Any player whose contract expires at the end of this year should be dumped on deadline day if you aren't getting fair value. But I can't imagine why we wouldn't get fair value.
Any player whose contract doesn't expire, should be withheld, if fair value isn't there.
A guy like Dunn will always have more value in trade in his contract year, because of his salary and because the other team has no trust that he can hit decently the following year.
  #139  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:58 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 17,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Question: If the Sox don't get the offers they are seeking and decide to stand pat rather than sell below market value, how would any of you feel about that?
I'd buckle down for three more years or so of similar records while *not* improving the future at all.

In short, I'd be majorly pissed.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #140  
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I'd buckle down for three more years or so of similar records while *not* improving the future at all.

In short, I'd be majorly pissed.
To be more precise, I'll rephrase my question as this: Which would upset you more, either 1) the Sox did not sell below market because they did not get any better offers, or 2) the Sox did sell below market because those were the best offers they got?

I'm not sure which I prefer myself, since there are certain players I want to see go at almost any cost. I don't want to have a giveaway either, though.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
  #141  
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 6,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
To be more precise, I'll rephrase my question as this: Which would upset you more, either 1) the Sox did not sell below market because they did not get any better offers, or 2) the Sox did sell below market because those were the best offers they got?

We wont know what was offered in return, who they are offering to give up or what is the market value. I feel as though its impossible to answer.
  #142  
Old 07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,586
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
To be more precise, I'll rephrase my question as this: Which would upset you more, either 1) the Sox did not sell below market because they did not get any better offers, or 2) the Sox did sell below market because those were the best offers they got?

I'm not sure which I prefer myself, since there are certain players I want to see go at almost any cost. I don't want to have a giveaway either, though.
Depends on who we're talking about. They can sell Crain, Konerko, Lindstrom and Thornton for below value if they have to.
I'd hold Rios and Peavy to next year.
  #143  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is online now
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 15,512
Default

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 11m
Per @nickcafardo, #RedSox have looked at #WhiteSox Matt Thornton, Matt Lindstrom and Addison Reed. Have heard price for Thornton is steep.


Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo 53m
The Red Sox are looking everywhere for relief. Interested in White Sox trio Addison Reed, Matt Thornton and Matt Lindstrom
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
  #144  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 17,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
Have heard price for Thornton is steep.
Why, is this four years ago?!
  #145  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,586
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Why, is this four years ago?!
No kidding.
  #146  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Harry Potter Harry Potter is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,229
Default

Ken Rosenthal
Attention, #WhiteSox. Time to entertain trade offers for Chris Sale.

Hereís why: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago-white-sox-should-make-pitcher-chris-sale-available-071013 Ö

Quote:
If Iím Hahn, Iím not shopping Sale to all 29 other clubs. No, Iím doing this quietly, targeting only a select few contenders with rich farm systems ó say, Texas, Boston, Arizona and St. Louis.

And, if I canít get a monster return ó the type of haul that the Rangers received for Mark Teixeira at the 2007 non-waiver deadline (Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz, Matt Harrison, Jarrod Saltalamacchia) ó then Iím not moving Sale at all.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 3-2
Next Game: Fri 4/25 vs. Rays

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
  #147  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Harry Potter Harry Potter is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,229
Default

More from article

Quote:
The current team is unwatchable. The Tigers are the beast of the division, while the Indians, Royals and Twins all appear better positioned than the White Sox for the future. And it’s not as if the Cubs are going to embarrass the Sox and win a World Series anytime soon, not when they’re going through a dramatic reconstruction themselves.


I know this is Hahn’s first year as GM. I know the White Sox under Williams were a go-for-it franchise that never wanted to concede. Well, times have changed. And dramatic action is necessary.
  #148  
Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,586
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Sure they should entertain it...probably do it...if they knew they'd get a Tex haul. But they won't be offered that and you'll never know that's what you got until you have it anyway.
  #149  
Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Sure they should entertain it...probably do it...if they knew they'd get a Tex haul. But they won't be offered that and you'll never know that's what you got until you have it anyway.
The BIG difference between dealing Tex vs. Sale is that Tex was a pending FA due to make a huge salary, while Sale is still cost-controlled. I wouldn't do it unless a similar package plus an established all-star came back.
  #150  
Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Flight #24 Flight #24 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
To be more precise, I'll rephrase my question as this: Which would upset you more, either 1) the Sox did not sell below market because they did not get any better offers, or 2) the Sox did sell below market because those were the best offers they got?

I'm not sure which I prefer myself, since there are certain players I want to see go at almost any cost. I don't want to have a giveaway either, though.
Here's the problem: If you think the market value for Thornton is a class A prospect (however you define that), and other teams are only offering you class B (B<A), then it's not that you're only getting offers below market value, it's that the market value is B and your estimate that it's A is incorrect.

That's what market value means. Now you could decide he's worth more to you than the market value and keep him (i.e. you decide that you have no replacements so it's worth more to you to keep him than for other teams to trade for him), but that's different from determining what his MV is.

Anyone who's not here for at least 2 years should be shopped. 2015 is the first year you can hope to contend IMO, and that's if the stars align, 2016 is more likely to be the earliest you'll see some results.
__________________
"You don't quit. You don't go home before it's time. You don't come out of a game, even if you are in pain and feel as if you can't go one more step"
"Never give up, Never, never, never give up."
- Luther Head after Elite 8 win v. Arizona
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.