White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 4,952
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Last night is just an example of how the Sox just butcher opportunities. Ventura should have been under orders to use Thornton only against lefties. Instead, he gives him an inning.
Given that you can't use Crain, who do you want to pitch the 8th inning? Other than Reed, pick your bum.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 6 - 3

March 31 W
April 10 W
April 26 L
May 10 L
May 28 W
June 1 W
June 14 L
July 4 W
July 18 W

Next Game: August 30
  #122  
Old 07-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 7,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Given that you can't use Crain, who do you want to pitch the 8th inning? Other than Reed, pick your bum.
Ill go with Casper.
  #123  
Old 07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,878
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Given that you can't use Crain, who do you want to pitch the 8th inning? Other than Reed, pick your bum.
Whomever. Use the worst guy if you have to.
Winning the game is secondary to primping and preening these players to be traded and/or to be developed for the future. That's why throwing our starters 120 innings is inane at this point. The front office should be on Ventura about that nonsense.
  #124  
Old 07-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Whomever. Use the worst guy if you have to.
Winning the game is secondary to primping and preening these players to be traded and/or to be developed for the future. That's why throwing our starters 120 innings is inane at this point. The front office should be on Ventura about that nonsense.
Spot on. Robin doesn't seem capable of not managing to win. Right now, we win by putting guys in the best chance to succeed, and then get the maximum value for them. Thornton goes out for a week straight and gets 1 or 2 LH outs then leaves, maybe he gets dealt. He goes out and does...that... and teams look elsewhere.

Probably the biggest kick in the gut last night was not only being swept by the Cubs, but the fact their trade parts shined while ours looked worthless.

At this point, would anyone not trade rosters and farm systems with the Cubs if you had a chance?
__________________
  #125  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
all*star quentin all*star quentin is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: White Sox USA
Posts: 3,611
Default

Robin and Rick met for 30 minutes today.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-...oes-well-peavy
  #126  
Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,878
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by all*star quentin View Post
Robin and Rick met for 30 minutes today.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-...oes-well-peavy
I would hope there was a lot more to the meeting that just keeping him apprised...like finding out why the team tanked under ventura's leadership, and how Hahn wants players used to maximize their trade value.
I can't imagine that they'll do anything but DFA Wise when he returns. There's no point in continuing to clown around with 35 year old veterans who can't hit.
  #127  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 AM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 9,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I would hope there was a lot more to the meeting that just keeping him apprised...like finding out why the team tanked under ventura's leadership, and how Hahn wants players used to maximize their trade value.
I can't imagine that they'll do anything but DFA Wise when he returns. There's no point in continuing to clown around with 35 year old veterans who can't hit.
It could easily be thrown back on KW and Hahn as to why he was "stuck" with guys who can't perform or stay healthy. You could say that Coop is a miracle worker with the starters having between $24 and $39 million in starting pitching on the DL at any given time so far (Floyd and Danks/Peavy).
__________________
  #128  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,878
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
It could easily be thrown back on KW and Hahn as to why he was "stuck" with guys who can't perform or stay healthy. You could say that Coop is a miracle worker with the starters having between $24 and $39 million in starting pitching on the DL at any given time so far (Floyd and Danks/Peavy).
Yes, that would explain why we aren't contending. But the players are playing well below their talent level, overall and have been tanking.
  #129  
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
PorkChopExpress PorkChopExpress is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I would hope there was a lot more to the meeting that just keeping him apprised...like finding out why the team tanked under ventura's leadership, and how Hahn wants players used to maximize their trade value.
I can't imagine that they'll do anything but DFA Wise when he returns. There's no point in continuing to clown around with 35 year old veterans who can't hit.
Unless they trade Rios, De Aza, and possibly Tank. Even if they hold on to Viciedo, they may still want a veteran OF to use from time to time. It's not like he's costing much.
  #130  
Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 AM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Spot on. Robin doesn't seem capable of not managing to win. Right now, we win by putting guys in the best chance to succeed, and then get the maximum value for them. Thornton goes out for a week straight and gets 1 or 2 LH outs then leaves, maybe he gets dealt. He goes out and does...that... and teams look elsewhere.

?
Sometimes the way a team uses a player is at the request of the other team. The opposing GM may want to see a player in certain situations and Hahn may do that with the hope of getting a higher return.
  #131  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
PalehosePlanet PalehosePlanet is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln Sq./North Cntr.
Posts: 4,618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I would hope there was a lot more to the meeting that just keeping him apprised...like finding out why the team tanked under ventura's leadership, and how Hahn wants players used to maximize their trade value.
I can't imagine that they'll do anything but DFA Wise when he returns. There's no point in continuing to clown around with 35 year old veterans who can't hit.


If we don't trade any of our current OF'ers then I agree. If we do, however, there is no point in dumping him if we have no one in the minors ready to take his place. You keep him around as a temporary place-holder, more or less, until we have better options.

Look at the Cubs for instance, they have a whole bunch of castoffs, career backups, AAAA type players on their roster while they await players from either the minors or an FA signing to take their place.
__________________
  #132  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:38 AM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Yes, that would explain why we aren't contending. But the players are playing well below their talent level, overall and have been tanking.
Nope.
  #133  
Old 07-10-2013, 11:39 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
[/B]

If we don't trade any of our current OF'ers then I agree. If we do, however, there is no point in dumping him if we have no one in the minors ready to take his place. You keep him around as a temporary place-holder, more or less, until we have better options.

Look at the Cubs for instance, they have a whole bunch of castoffs, career backups, AAAA type players on their roster while they await players from either the minors or an FA signing to take their place.
Right - was thinking of the Marlins and guys like Greg Dobbs, too. Every team needs those bodies.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #134  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM
CPditka CPditka is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,096
Default

Buster_ESPN: The White Sox have been asking for major-league ready or near-ready prospects in their trade talks.

__________________
www.twitter.com/donaldandersen
  #135  
Old 07-10-2013, 01:24 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPditka View Post
Buster_ESPN: The White Sox have been asking for major-league ready or near-ready prospects in their trade talks.
Question: If the Sox don't get the offers they are seeking and decide to stand pat rather than sell below market value, how would any of you feel about that?
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.