White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 04:57 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Wrong fish. Unless you like old, retired fish.
Eh, he still might be better than 2/3 of our starting OF
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

.... and don't forget Jay Blunk, you have to say Jay Blunk every time you say John McDonough.

As much as I admire how McDonough has elevated the Blackhawks relevancy in this town, I don't think that there is a chance of this happening. McDonough's next step is to move up as either Bettmann or Selig's replacement.

The Sox should borrow heavily from his playbook on the marketing and business side, including poaching his video production crew (Evidently, we could avoid some of this year's embarrassments ) I'm not so sure what impact he has had on winning or losing, though.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I am a skeptic that McDonough could turn the Sox around.
The Blackhawks had years of losing,and getting high draft picks to stock their roster. Not sure how much McDonough had to do with that.
The core players of Keith, Seabrook, Sharp were already on the roster when he took over. Kane and Toews were just entering their rookie seasons, and already on the roster as well. The only main guy not on the roster was Hossa, but all he did was replace Martin Havlet. McDonough's job was to market the team. Putting the games on TV didn't take rocket science. My wife, who knew nothing about hockey prior to 2007, kept saying this. Although, his connections to WGN didn't exactly hurt, either. Yes, the current front office of the Hawks had something to do with the success, but the timing was just perfect for them. They took advantage of what they had, and more power to them.

Quote:
Sox have not drafted well,and have not had top picks to boot.
So, this year,they will end up with a top pick...time to have a great draft!

I will give Rick Hahn a few years...not sure what the impact can be made from above him,really.
Right, McDonough would just market the team and make going to a Sox game cool and fun. Which, this is exactly what we, as Sox fans, frown on about the Cubs. So, this is what we want know? Personally, I don't really care. I know the ballpark enough to make my own experience happen.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I am a skeptic that McDonough could turn the Sox around.
The Blackhawks had years of losing,and getting high draft picks to stock their roster. Not sure how much McDonough had to do with that.

Sox have not drafted well,and have not had top picks to boot.
So, this year,they will end up with a top pick...time to have a great draft!

I will give Rick Hahn a few years...not sure what the impact can be made from above him,really.
I think he would be replacing Brooks not Hahn. I agree with you about McDonough's real impact with the Hawks. His timing was impeccable but when the Hawks are good they have historically sold out, and he had nothing to do with the roster.

I really don't know why he would even want the job. For the Sox to draw they have to win, and keep winning.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

McDonough's success has more to do with Toews and Kane than his own work.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM
New At WSI

McDonough President of Business Operations; Kenny Williams President of Baseball Operations.

Reinsdorf's Son is President of the Bulls and wants nothing to do with the White Sox.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

We're actually on page 2 of bringing in a hockey guy to be the president of the team?

Hell, let's hire Nick Saban to manage it.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
We're actually on page 2 of bringing in a hockey guy to be the president of the team?

Hell, let's hire Nick Saban to manage it.
He's not a hockey guy, the Hawks hired him because he was good at marketing with the Cubs (not a big challenge, really).
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
The core players of Keith, Seabrook, Sharp were already on the roster when he took over. Kane and Toews were just entering their rookie seasons, and already on the roster as well. The only main guy not on the roster was Hossa, but all he did was replace Martin Havlet. McDonough's job was to market the team. Putting the games on TV didn't take rocket science. My wife, who knew nothing about hockey prior to 2007, kept saying this. Although, his connections to WGN didn't exactly hurt, either. Yes, the current front office of the Hawks had something to do with the success, but the timing was just perfect for them. They took advantage of what they had, and more power to them.
well said. sure he made the cubs losing cool but harry carry did more for the cubs with bringing people in. as for the hawks...the only move besides winning hockey that the hawks needed was for writz to die or sell and put them on tv. When that happened the fans they had came back.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

I would not welcome McDonough in particular but certainly someone like him. The White Sox need someone from outside the organization to come in and evaluate things. In fact, they needed it a long time ago.

But nothing like this would ever happen. Jerry Reinsdorf would have to admit that he is not the baseball genius he thinks he is. So instead the team will go for several more years unable to compete in a weak division.

Besides, there is a reason this organization keeps hiring in-experienced people.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 AM
WSI High Priest

I don't think he would have any interest- but I would welcome with open arms a marketing/operations professional who also has a good knowledge of the Chicago market and the history/culture of the White Sox.

Other than the 1st few years of Brooks' tenure- between "recent Brooks" and Rob Gallas- very mediocre performance in this area.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
WSI High Priest

I'll help him unpack his bags. What they are doing currently is NOT working. In all areas.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis11 View Post
McDonough President of Business Operations; Kenny Williams President of Baseball Operations.

Reinsdorf's Son is President of the Bulls and wants nothing to do with the White Sox.
Why would you want KW to be head of Baseball Operations?

He's the architect of the current mess-
Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post

Right, McDonough would just market the team and make going to a Sox game cool and fun. Which, this is exactly what we, as Sox fans, frown on about the Cubs. So, this is what we want know? Personally, I don't really care. I know the ballpark enough to make my own experience happen.
Read the game experience threads. I'm not sure about the "cool" part but a healthy dose of "fun" would be a welcome change.

Furthermore, more fans = more $; more $ = better players/healthier franchise (in theory).

The motivations of others who attend games makes no difference to me. If they are going because it's trendy, fine. If they're casual fans who are really just looking for a place to take the kids, also fine...
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Why would you want KW to be head of Baseball Operations?

He's the architect of the current mess-
I agree but KW is Reinsdorf's guy and will be there as long as he wants to be.