White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
This is the worst Sox team I have seen ever in my life. Worse than the 1989 Sox.
I witnessed the 1970 team and never in my worse nightmares did I believe I would ever see a repeat of that season but here we are in 2013 and it looks like it might happen. The good news is things can turn around in no time, the 71 Sox under Chuck Tanner and some nice trades by Roland Hemond improved by 23 games and won 79 games. Richie Allen came aboard in 1972 and we almost won the division. We went 87-67 in 72 in a strike shortened season and played .565 ball which comes out to 92-70 in a 162 game season, so theoreticly we improved by 36 games in two short years and contended for a division title and if Melton had not hurt his back the Sox might have won the division.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-09-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I witnessed the 1970 team and never in my worse nightmares did I believe I would ever see a repeat of that season but here we are in 2013 and it looks like it might happen. The good news is things can turn around in no time, the 71 Sox under Chuck Tanner and some nice trades by Roland Hemond improved by 23 games and won 79 games. Richie Allen came aboard in 1972 and we almost won the division. We went 87-67 in 72 in a strike shortened season and played .565 ball which comes out to 92-70 in a 162 game season, so theoreticly we improved by 36 games in two short years and contended for a division title and if Melton had not hurt his back the Sox might have won the division.
Yup, they climbed back to repectability and could have gone on a run except for running into those damn reborn mustached A's and Beltin' coming up lame... I even remarked to a Cubs fan friend of mine that I didnt know how he could handle losing like that year in and year out.. 70 was an inevitable crash after 20 years of almost Annies.. I never had known a Sox team that had "LOST" on such an epic scale.. What sucked even more was watching Sox prospects flourish with other organizations. When the Tigers and Mets were winning with former Sox on the roster I just used to shake my head at the woulda couldas...

The 70 team atleast played like they gave a ****.. These guys are past going thru the motions...They dont care if we see them pickin their butts, chewing on their gloves and stompin dandelions... The only thing missing is the sound of the ice cream truck in the backround distracting the pitcher so he heaves one over the backstop and heads for the street...

So with that said... Lets go 1970 White Sox !!!!!

BK59

BK59
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Yep- if Carlos May kept his thumb and Melton doesn't hurt his back- the 1972-75 White Sox would have been something.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-09-2013, 06:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1 View Post
This is the worst Sox team I have seen ever in my life. Worse than the 1989 Sox.
The '89 team showed some hope- played .507 ball in the 2nd half- acquiring Sosa, Fletcher and Alvarez + Fisk, Guillen, Calderon- and a good manager in Torborg.

The core of a very good 1990 team-
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
49 / 151 = .325 (.3245)

yeah, I punched up 154 on the calculator. Which would make 52-110 a worse record.

That 1932 team wasn't the worst either. Yikes!
I was wondering if somebody would bring that up. One of the bizarre episodes of a team that has seen it's share of them.

Last edited by Railsplitter; 07-09-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: oversight
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

The 1987 White Sox were on a pace to catch the 1970 squad-they were also at 34-52. Then they rallied with a 19-9 September and finished at 77-85. Now I am not saying the 2013 squad has that in them-after all, they are lifeless, gutless, heartless, brainless and every other -less, and are the worst team ever created (and I hope Kenny Williams pays for this!) but there is always hope that this team won't top the 1970 Sox. Don't give up.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:36 AM
WSI High Priest

2013 White Sox 35-52 --
1970 White Sox 30-55 4 GB

July 9, 1970

White Sox win at Milwaukee, 6-5.

Aparicio goes 4-5, May and Herrmann homer,

Jerry Crider picks up the win over Skip Lockwood.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
The 1987 White Sox were on a pace to catch the 1970 squad-they were also at 34-52. Then they rallied with a 19-9 September and finished at 77-85. Now I am not saying the 2013 squad has that in them-after all, they are lifeless, gutless, heartless, brainless and every other -less, and are the worst team ever created (and I hope Kenny Williams pays for this!) but there is always hope that this team won't top the 1970 Sox. Don't give up.

Well done, sir...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM
WSI High Priest

2013 White Sox 37-55 --
1970 White Sox 31-58 4.5 GB

Last game before the All Star break- July 12, 1970

White Sox win at Kansas City, 10-5.

Aparicio goes 3-5, Ken Berry 2-5, with 2 doubles and 4 RBIs, Bobby Knoop 4-5.

Tommy John picks up the win over Dick Drago.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:43 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
LOL, man, I doubled over on this one, funniest post in awhile.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Boy, I hope the 2013 Sox do a lot better in the second half and stave off comparisons to the 1970 Sox.

But if the race is on, then I suppose The Race Is On.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
They started the dive too late. You can't be .500 in late May if you want to achieve that kind of notoriety. They needed to commit to full out tank mode in early April if they wanted to win less than 50 games...
The 1970 White Sox were two games under .500 in mid-May. Going into a scheduled May 17 Sunday doubleheader and riding a four-game winning streak, there was a Don Gutteridge quote in the Tribune about sweeping "and then we'll be .500."

This White Sox team doesn't compare in futility to the 1970 team. Bill Melton was moved to right field in July because he was making so many errors at third base, including a dropped pop up that left him with a broken nose. In the other corner, Carlos May is one of my favorite players of all time, but the year after his mortar injury didn't help his defense. Once after fielding a ball down the third-base line, he missed the cut-off man with a throw in the stands behind third base.

Lack of defense, despite having Herrmann, Aparicio, Knoop and Berry to play up the middle, was a huge problem. The team gave up 100 unearned runs and gave up enough earned runs to have the worst ERA in the American League. It wasn't even close. They were about one-third of a run worse than the next worse team, the Brewers, who the year before had been the expansion Pilots.

The only pitcher to start at least 12 games with an ERA less than a run above the league average was Tommy John. The only other pitcher other than John with more than 200 innings was Gerry Janeski, who finished second in starts on the team. He was a rookie who pitched 205 of his 280 big-league innings that year. A few players barely hung on in the majors after being traded from the 1970 White Sox. I think there were 10 players on that team who never played in the majors after 1970.

The 1970 White Sox were in the bottom half of the league in runs scored and gave up more runs than anyone else by a wide margin.

The 1970 team makes the current team look like a contender.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The 1970 White Sox were in the bottom half of the league in runs scored and gave up more runs than anyone else by a wide margin.

The 1970 team makes the current team look like a contender.
Really, pitching is the only edge this current Sox team has over that one. This year's Sox won't lose 106 games, but if (or when) they do trade away most or all of the major pieces...oh boy.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI High Priest

This year's Sox have already won more games than what is probably the worst team in AL history: the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics who went 36-117 that year.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKalltheway View Post
Really, pitching is the only edge this current Sox team has over that one. This year's Sox won't lose 106 games, but if (or when) they do trade away most or all of the major pieces...oh boy.
Pitching is a big difference. If you have pitching, you don't need much hitting to win a championship. The 1970 White Sox were among the lowest scoring teams in the league, although they exploded a few times, 22 runs against the Red Sox to give Floyd Weaver his only major league win, 11 runs in the ninth against the Red Sox to win a 13-5 game (Wilbur Wood doubled in that inning). About 50 of their games were decided by one run, and they lost two thirds of those. They lost a lot of games because they didn't hit. They lost a lot more games because they didn't pitch well. One Friday night they built an 8-1 lead through five against the A's and lost 9-8.

About 50 games were decided by five or more runs, and they lost about two thirds of those. They lost about two thirds of the rest of the games. So they weren't totally inconsistent.

Essentially they had one reliable starting pitcher, and even he would be gone in two years. At the June 15 trade deadline, they traded for two starters, one more dreadful than the other, the other being one of the two Bob Millers to play for the 1962 Mets. In addition to having only one reliable starter, they had only one reliable reliever. Wilbur Wood may have been the only pitcher from the 1972 team who pitched any significant innings for the 1970 White Sox, which seems extreme for the pre-free agency days.

The pitching in 1970 was far worse than the 2013 White Sox. The defense in 1970 played even worse than this year's team. If the offense was better in 1970, it wasn't much better.