White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #106  
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,244
Blog Entries: 5
Default

I would hope Mark talks highly of Nick, as he is his father
__________________
  #107  
Old 07-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I continue to be baffled that so many people believe it will take the Sox four or five years to return to contention.

This year is obviously cooked, and I'm pretty sure (but not 100 percent sure) the Sox won't be very good next year either. But I wouldn't rule out having a good team again by 2015. It just depends on the moves Hahn makes over the next 18 months or so.

The Sox aren't going to do the same thing they're doing on the other side of town, nor should they. I hear people grump all the time about the Sox "not having a plan." Well, how do we know they don't have a plan? I'm sure they do have a plan; they just don't feel compelled to announce it to the whole world.
It could indeed take 5 years for the Sox to get back into contention. I'm not saying I think that will happen. But, I don't find that possibility hard to imagine.

Of course, the point is that there is no reason that it needs to take 5 years to rebuild. The Sox will have some bad, expensive contracts coming off the books in the next year or two. They have a decent core of 4 lefty starting pitchers to build around. Finally, it sounds like maybe there's finally some signs of hope that talent currently at the lower minor league levels may be ready to help the team in a couple of years. So, maybe Rick Hahn will have this team back as a contender by 2015.

Still, I really can't blame fans for being cynical, angry, and pessimistic at this point in time. It's a brutal season for all of us to endure and it's for the most part been a rather disappointing 4.5 seasons since the last playoff appearance. 2013 is the kind of season that makes cynics out of even optimistic fans. It's been 5 years since the Sox made the playoffs. It's not a stretch to think that they might take another 5 to get back there. Personally, I don't think that's the case. But I'm not going to say it "won't" happen.
  #108  
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 10,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I would hope Mark talks highly of Nick, as he is his father
I also was meaning to reference someone who is viewed as a top catcher of his class. Perhaps Nick can develop into a ML catcher, but it doesn't sound like he has a lot of experience. You do have success with conversions (ex. SS to pitcher), but I'd rather have someone here in the pipes who already has a great grasp on the position. A 36th-rounder who hasn't caught really don't instill confidence in me that "he's the guy."

Perhaps they identify Phegley and Flowers as their catchers for 2014 (I don't mind keeping Flowers as a back-up).
__________________
  #109  
Old 07-08-2013, 08:44 PM
#1swisher #1swisher is offline
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 60610
Posts: 16,732
Default Crosstown

David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 33m

A flock of major league scouts in attendance tonite and they're certainly not here to see Julio Borbon
__________________
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
  #110  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1swisher View Post
David Schuster ‏@Schumouse 33m

A flock of major league scouts in attendance tonite and they're certainly not here to see Julio Borbon
Almost all there to see Garza.... Thornton didn't help his cause, lord does this team just suck ....even the cubs have it better than us...
__________________
  #111  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 PM
24thStFan 24thStFan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,221
Post

Trade Thorton now before everyone else figures out he sucks.
__________________
  #112  
Old 07-08-2013, 11:53 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24thStFan View Post
Trade Thorton now before everyone else figures out he sucks.
Got a hot flash for you all.....
__________________
Ya Ta Hey, Black Crow.
  #113  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:08 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,952
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
It could indeed take 5 years for the Sox to get back into contention. I'm not saying I think that will happen. But, I don't find that possibility hard to imagine.

Of course, the point is that there is no reason that it needs to take 5 years to rebuild. The Sox will have some bad, expensive contracts coming off the books in the next year or two. They have a decent core of 4 lefty starting pitchers to build around. Finally, it sounds like maybe there's finally some signs of hope that talent currently at the lower minor league levels may be ready to help the team in a couple of years. So, maybe Rick Hahn will have this team back as a contender by 2015.
As each day passes and the players look worse and worse, any return we get for them diminishes greatly. At this point, it looks like we'll get nothing for anyone currently on the ML roster (whom we want to trade) except for Rios, and he's hitting poorly himself. So how do you rebuild in a couple of years? The only way is to take more bad contracts like the ones we have now.
  #114  
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM
balke balke is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
As each day passes and the players look worse and worse, any return we get for them diminishes greatly. At this point, it looks like we'll get nothing for anyone currently on the ML roster (whom we want to trade) except for Rios, and he's hitting poorly himself. So how do you rebuild in a couple of years? The only way is to take more bad contracts like the ones we have now.
Or wait 2 years for a ridiculous amount of money to come off the books. At least the Sox can shake things up. I don't get excited about anyone on this team. The way people are salivating over Phegley after 9 at bats should show how desperate the fans are for some new faces.
  #115  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:18 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 18,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
Or wait 2 years for a ridiculous amount of money to come off the books. At least the Sox can shake things up. I don't get excited about anyone on this team. The way people are salivating over Phegley after 9 at bats should show how desperate the fans are for some new faces.
Amen. The Kids Can Play Part II should really be a possibility here. How can anyone not support a blow up right now? At this rate, we'll challenge the Astros for worst record.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #116  
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
As each day passes and the players look worse and worse, any return we get for them diminishes greatly. At this point, it looks like we'll get nothing for anyone currently on the ML roster (whom we want to trade) except for Rios, and he's hitting poorly himself. So how do you rebuild in a couple of years? The only way is to take more bad contracts like the ones we have now.
Maybe not. Lefties are hitting .176 against Thornton whereas righties are hitting .333. The Red Sox, for example, need a left-hander, as their guy just went down for the season. In their division they need a lefty for late game against Cano and Davis. But Thornton may not bring a top prospect since righties are lighting him up, but hopefully he could go for a second tier player.
  #117  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Amen. The Kids Can Play Part II should really be a possibility here. How can anyone not support a blow up right now? At this rate, we'll challenge the Astros for worst record.
The way this team is right now, I wouldn't be upset about a top 3 pick next year....or even the top pick. Carlos Rodon from NC State would be a great get and up fairly fast.

With a top of the rotation of Sale, Rodon, Danks I would imagine they could be competitive fairly quickly.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
  #118  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:53 PM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 5,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Maybe not. Lefties are hitting .176 against Thornton whereas righties are hitting .333. The Red Sox, for example, need a left-hander, as their guy just went down for the season. In their division they need a lefty for late game against Cano and Davis. But Thornton may not bring a top prospect since righties are lighting him up, but hopefully he could go for a second tier player.
So he's a glorified LOOGY. Or not so glorified. That makes sense.
  #119  
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
SCCWS SCCWS is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
So he's a glorified LOOGY. Or not so glorified. That makes sense.
One other major factor. Who else needs a lefty??? If any of the other AL East teams have the same need the Red Sox now have, the value of Thornton goes up if he is the best lefty available. For example, the Red Sox may pay more to fill the need while keeping the player away from the Yankees or O's.
  #120  
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,952
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Last night is just an example of how the Sox just butcher opportunities. Ventura should have been under orders to use Thornton only against lefties. Instead, he gives him an inning.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.