White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 02:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Meh, I still don't regret subscribing to MLB.TV for the year. I knew the dark times of White Sox ball were coming sooner or later. Not enough youth to replace the age.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
In fairness, we have almost a completely new coaching staff, new offensive game plan, a legit tight-end in Bennett, etc. This isn't your typical Bears pre-season so yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Beats the hell out of watching the Sox come up with new ways to lose.
We?

You're not going to learn a single thing with these reports from camp. Go to every NFL camp and you'll notice one thing- they all look the same. The way the NFL is structured now with practice time limits and when they can and can't hit, there's very little for them to show during practice. Most of the work goes on in film work and in the GM's office.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
I'm young (23), so I don't remember many bad Sox teams. This one right here is the worst Sox team I have ever seen. No one up to bat has a plan, no one on this team can field properly, and the pitching has NO offensive help AT ALL. I never thought I'd see a Sox team have 51 losses before the all-star break. I don't know what else to say what has already been said about this team. What a mess.
I am old enough to have seen some of the train wrecks in the 80s, but this is about as bad as it gets. Having said that, I was disgusted by the constantly underachieving that happened in the 90s almost more than this. I'm disgusted a team that won the World Series only returned to the playoffs once. My point being, sometimes these types of seasons need to happen, and they can be easier to deal with because you let it go for a year or two and return when the franchise gets it's act together. (By "return" I mean watching games regularly.)

Ventura never wanted this role. For all the praise, he needs to show he actually wants to do this. His team died on him last year after being in first for 100 games, and they are one of the worst Sox teams ever this year. That is not a good start to a manager's career.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I The Sox were coming off a year where they spent 110+ days in first place and expected to contend again for a division title. Contending was their plan for 2013 and it has obviously been a failure.
The organization finally got bit in the behind for resting on the laurel of being a contender, rather than actually accomplishing anything.. So the Sox were in first for a good part of 2012.. who cares? they choked down the stretch and didn't go to the postseason.. that's the bottom line.. were the reasons WHY they choked addressed? No, they werent

People have commented as to why the Sox don't draw... Stone commented that the Sox didn't draw in 2012 even though there were in first.. Sox fans aren't stupid, they can sniff a winner.. They drew in 06 cause the majority of the 05 team was in tact plus they added Thome.. give me a frikkin break
Old 07-08-2013, 03:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
My point being, sometimes these types of seasons need to happen, and they can be easier to deal with because you let it go for a year or two and return when the franchise gets it's act together. (By "return" I mean watching games regularly.)

Ventura never wanted this role. For all the praise, he needs to show he actually wants to do this. His team died on him last year after being in first for 100 games, and they are one of the worst Sox teams ever this year.
Bingo.. My sentiments exactly.

Major MLB Market. Big City. Large Fanbase.. ability to spend $$$.. Close to the worst team in MLB despite being in the top 10 in payroll.. Tampa and Pittsburgh with a mere fraction that payroll and contending... it's downright shocking, yet .. I'll stop now, but .. what Pudge said.. sometimes these seasons need to happen
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
We?

You're not going to learn a single thing with these reports from camp. Go to every NFL camp and you'll notice one thing- they all look the same. The way the NFL is structured now with practice time limits and when they can and can't hit, there's very little for them to show during practice. Most of the work goes on in film work and in the GM's office.
Please. You're going to call out the "we" on a sports fan message board of all places? Let me make it a little clearer - I will gladly watch almost anything other than maybe soccer to help me forget the White Sox for a while and that includes the NFL pre-season. I'm not watching because I think I'm going to "learn" something but thanks for explaining the NFL to me.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I think it is unfair to compare what the Cubs are doing and what the Sox are now dealing with. The Cubs went into this season knowing they would be awful and building for 2 or 3 years down the road. The Sox were coming off a year where they spent 110+ days in first place and expected to contend again for a division title. Contending was their plan for 2013 and it has obviously been a failure. The wheels are coming off the wagon this season and the team is going to be changing gears soon. We simply have to wait for the trades to happen before we can know for sure what Hahn's specific plan B is now that plan A has been a disaster. The Sox front office keeps things very close to the vest and don't use the media to hype upcoming roster decisions. Phegley and Simon Castro could be the first part of plan B being put in motion.
You honestly think the Sox went into this year thinking that they had a legitimate shot at winning the division (or a wild card)? They got rid of one of their steadiest offensive contributors in AJ and replaced him with a glorified AAAA backstop. The Keppinger deal was just filler and wasn't going to put us over the hump.

Even the most optimistic among us didn't figure we had much of a shot this year to say nothing of the collective opinion of the media that had the Sox pegged as a .500 team, at best.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I think it is unfair to compare what the Cubs are doing and what the Sox are now dealing with. The Cubs went into this season knowing they would be awful and building for 2 or 3 years down the road. The Sox were coming off a year where they spent 110+ days in first place and expected to contend again for a division title. Contending was their plan for 2013 and it has obviously been a failure. The wheels are coming off the wagon this season and the team is going to be changing gears soon. We simply have to wait for the trades to happen before we can know for sure what Hahn's specific plan B is now that plan A has been a disaster. The Sox front office keeps things very close to the vest and don't use the media to hype upcoming roster decisions. Phegley and Simon Castro could be the first part of plan B being put in motion.
Good post. Let's not define the Sox within the context of the Cubs. It's two different situations. Just because we don't know what the Sox are planning doesn't mean the front office doesn't have a plan.

I do realize the Cubs came out and said, "We're rebuilding. It's going to be a long process. Be patient with us." That's nice. Good for them. It seems some fans are expecting the Sox to make a similar annoucement. Well, what if the Sox have no intention of undertaking a Cubs' style rebuild? They aren't going to come out and announce that when that's not their intention. Why would they?

IMO, the Sox are aware they can't afford to do what the Cubs are doing. A total rebuild might make sense from a pure baseball perspective, but it would be a highly questionable choice from a business perspective. I don't think Sox fans will support a long-term rebuilding project. Further, the Sox are already slipping into irrelevance in the city, and I don't think they can afford to be irrelevant for four or five years. After that, it would take multiple years of success to bring the fans back.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 07-08-2013, 05:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You honestly think the Sox went into this year thinking that they had a legitimate shot at winning the division (or a wild card)?
Yes the organization did believe they had a shot. They chose to allocate their dollars to bringing back Jake Peavy instead of AJ. You don't bring back Jake Peavy this season if you thought you were going to be a .500 team. They had Flowers pegged as the #1 catcher heir for the last few years as a younger, cheaper alternative to the aging AJ. They were expecting a lot more out of Flowers and he has been a flop. Flowers ended up proving to everyone that he is just a backup but I don't believe the Sox viewed him as "AAAA" as you put it. They thought highly of him or they wouldn't have handed him the reigns. Keppinger was supposed to be a great bat handler, be the ideal #2 hitter, cut down on the strikeouts, and make the Sox offense less HR reliant as they were in 2012. Obviously, none of these moves have worked out at all and I'm not trying to defend them but I believe they were all made with an eye towards contending this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Good post. Let's not define the Sox within the context of the Cubs. It's two different situations. Just because we don't know what the Sox are planning doesn't mean the front office doesn't have a plan.

I do realize the Cubs came out and said, "We're rebuilding. It's going to be a long process. Be patient with us." That's nice. Good for them. It seems some fans are expecting the Sox to make a similar annoucement. Well, what if the Sox have no intention of undertaking a Cubs' style rebuild? They aren't going to come out and announce that when that's not their intention. Why would they?
Yep. I also don't expect much in the way of announcements either. It's just not in their nature to call press conferences to say "we have a plan and please bear with us". Under the stewardship of KW, the team operates in the shadows. I don't expect this to change under Hahn. The only info you get comes from leaks from other GMs letting the media know they talked to the Sox about a certain guy. The trades and roster moves they make in the next 1 to 6 months will show the fans what direction the franchise is headed, not a catchy marketing phrase like the "Kids Can Play" nor a GM holding a press conference talking about a rebuild.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
You honestly think the Sox went into this year thinking that they had a legitimate shot at winning the division (or a wild card)? They got rid of one of their steadiest offensive contributors in AJ and replaced him with a glorified AAAA backstop. The Keppinger deal was just filler and wasn't going to put us over the hump.

Even the most optimistic among us didn't figure we had much of a shot this year to say nothing of the collective opinion of the media that had the Sox pegged as a .500 team, at best.
I think they did. The problem was they weren't willing to do what it took to have a good chance to turn the tables. They made a weak effort to shore up the offense, and hurt the defense with the small effort they made (Keppinger). And they signed Wise to be the top bench bat, which wasn't close to a serious effort.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yep. I also don't expect much in the way of announcements either. It's just not in their nature to call press conferences to say "we have a plan and please bear with us". Under the stewardship of KW, the team operates in the shadows. I don't expect this to change under Hahn. The only info you get comes from leaks from other GMs letting the media know they talked to the Sox about a certain guy. The trades and roster moves they make in the next 1 to 6 months will show the fans what direction the franchise is headed, not a catchy marketing phrase like the "Kids Can Play" nor a GM holding a press conference talking about a rebuild.
Agreed. And what if a rebuild isn't in their plans? They can't come out and say, "Dear Sox fans, Here are the players we intend to acquire via trade and during free agency next offseason ... We hope to return to contention next year." That would be ridiculous.

This whole idea that the organization needs to make some sort of announcement of its future direction seems nonsensical to me. Their words mean nothing anyhow. It is their actions and results that count.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I would SO MUCH rather have seen this result than a team hovering near .500 and hanging on to this mess.

Kenny Williams deserves NO validation for the mess he shaped this roster into.
He tried to wring every last ounce out of some has-beens, and he got the last juice in 2012.

This team has been plodding down this slope for a while. It has been time to clean house, and it is about to get underway.

I'd rather see some young and hungry kids standing on the dugout steps watching the game than a bunch of overpaid, fat, and happy former studs sitting in the back of the dugout looking at tee times.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yes the organization did believe they had a shot. They chose to allocate their dollars to bringing back Jake Peavy instead of AJ. You don't bring back Jake Peavy this season if you thought you were going to be a .500 team. They had Flowers pegged as the #1 catcher heir for the last few years as a younger, cheaper alternative to the aging AJ. They were expecting a lot more out of Flowers and he has been a flop. Flowers ended up proving to everyone that he is just a backup but I don't believe the Sox viewed him as "AAAA" as you put it. They thought highly of him or they wouldn't have handed him the reigns. Keppinger was supposed to be a great bat handler, be the ideal #2 hitter, cut down on the strikeouts, and make the Sox offense less HR reliant as they were in 2012. Obviously, none of these moves have worked out at all and I'm not trying to defend them but I believe they were all made with an eye towards contending this year.
It may be the "there's no book on him" burst, but at least Phegley is providing some excitement. I don't mind Flowers as a back-up, but I don't like him as a starter. If Phegley is a potential starter for us though, we may need a veteran guy to help tutor him.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox expected Danks to be a contributor,and did not expect Gavin Floyd to have a season ending injury in May.

They added Lindstrom,and Keppinger.
The offense was pretty good last year until the last two weeks of Sept.

Sox had a perfect storm of PK going down, Floyd going down, Keppinger and flowers sucking, and Gordo being hurt for two months.

They needed everything to fall in place,but this team could have contended all season again,and maybe win,but everything that could go wrong ...did.

One of those years. Blow it up,and start over,and get some high draft picks.