White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 09:58 AM
WSI Personality

Default Phegley Give Me Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCIASOXFAN View Post
Totally agree. From every place I have looked they are still ranked bottom 5 on the farm. This still hasn't stopped me from following all of our "top" prospects though a few times a week. Thompson looks great and Anderson is looking awesome at A ball so far. Of course Phegley gives me hope.
Our new rallying cry and a new Sox legend begins.

"Phegley gives me hope."

I now call him Hope Phegley.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
And you called the rookie they were going to have close one of the greatest pitching prospects in baseball. You were as wrong as anyone who thought the Sox could contend, but by all means continue posting like you know more than anyone else even though the facts are you don't.
He's young and will still succeed. And I totally said he could falter and they could easily trade Nick Castellanos for a premium closer (which they probably will).

And I'm pretty sure I didn't use a word like "greatest" to describe him. He isn't even the "greatest" relief prospect, just a really good one.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kenny View Post
Our new rallying cry and a new Sox legend begins.

"Phegley gives me hope."

I now call him Hope Phegley.
I've read what the scouts say and have watched video and agreed with them. But then he comes up here and still produces. **** it, I'm on board. Phegley's awesome, even if he doesn't make sense.

He seriously can't catch though. Maybe he's the long term solution at first base.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Detroit will probably trade for a closer if it keeps up. I think K-Rod is going to be one of the big prizes at the deadline. I am hoping Baltimore goes after him, but I doubt it. Papelbon is also out there.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Detroit will probably trade for a closer if it keeps up. I think K-Rod is going to be one of the big prizes at the deadline. I am hoping Baltimore goes after him, but I doubt it. Papelbon is also out there.
Imagine ESPN's coverage if Boston were to reacquire Papelbon. Wow. That would make Tebow appear overlooked by our friends in Bristol.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMoney View Post
KW (with Hahn's 'assistance') sure left him with a steaming pile of dog **** to work with.
Heck, if you're a GM and you like to wheel and deal, this is the job for you.
We do have assets....what do we do with them?
Starting pitchers, unless their top of the rotation, are more valuable in off-season deals than inseason deals, as they are what get you to the playoffs. We have 3 viable lefty starters that we could trade (plus a fourth that we won't trade)...can you take one and get a couple of quality position players out of him?
Can Phelgely hit? If so, can he play outfield?
Relievers are more valuable in in-season trades than offseason, as they are easy to sign in the offseason. Time to do some deals.
This would be a fun job for a GM.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM
WSI Prelate

On a different note, I heard a few Madden comments about his offense...he says that they aren't expanding the strike zone and swinging at pitches they can hit. It would be nice to have that ethic in this organization. Maybe we can hire one of his guys as manager next year.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
No matter how bad the Sox are, baseball still beats the **** out of boring NFL training camp news and preseason games. I can't believe people are actually looking forward to that crap. No thanks, I'd rather wash my lawn.

It's too bad the Sox are woefully out of the race before the All-Star break. The summer just isn't as fun without pennant race baseball. Hopefully, the rebuilding period the Sox are about to enter won't last too long.
What? You can't wait for the breathless reports about how awesome Jay Cutler looked hitting Brandon Marshall on a 5 yard out in only helmets two months before the beginning of the season?
Old 07-08-2013, 02:17 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
On a different note, I heard a few Madden comments about his offense...he says that they aren't expanding the strike zone and swinging at pitches they can hit. It would be nice to have that ethic in this organization. Maybe we can hire one of his guys as manager next year.
Remember the Dave Martinez rumors replacing Ozzie.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
It depends?

If a guy is just sitting there with limited range, ala Derrick Jeter, then he better have a .980+ fielding percentage to compensate.

If a guy has some of the best range at his position (and it's a position that it matters, like up the middle), keeping it in the .965 range is acceptable. Alexei's a little lower than that, but he's not way off either. And his range has been just as spectacularly above average as it's always been. There's no reason for someone to come in and look at our defense, point at Alexei, and say "that's the problem". Because he isn't even part of the problem. He's been above average.
He's a huge part of the problem. His errors are seemingly always deciding factors in the loss of the game. You can flaunt Sabermetrics all you want, and fielding range, and whatever, but the reality is he isn't a winning player ,much like a lot of the rest of them and their pathetic OBP's. Whether they could get anything better at this point is another argument.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The same Maddon who bunted in the first inning yesterday? Ventura would be skewered if he did that.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
He's a huge part of the problem. His errors are seemingly always deciding factors in the loss of the game. You can flaunt Sabermetrics all you want, and fielding range, and whatever, but the reality is he isn't a winning player ,much like a lot of the rest of them and their pathetic OBP's. Whether they could get anything better at this point is another argument.
Errors are just easier to quantify so the reactions are always stronger. Nobody sits and watches games and says...okay this week the shortstop didn't get to 5 balls that ended up as hits that most other shortstops would get. Or, in Alexei's case, this week he reached 5 extra balls over the next tier of shortstop that should have been hits. But he's saving runs a lot more often than he's giving them up. He's saving more runs than most shortstops in baseball. Errors are only a piece.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:00 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
What? You can't wait for the breathless reports about how awesome Jay Cutler looked hitting Brandon Marshall on a 5 yard out in only helmets two months before the beginning of the season?
In fairness, we have almost a completely new coaching staff, new offensive game plan, a legit tight-end in Bennett, etc. This isn't your typical Bears pre-season so yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Beats the hell out of watching the Sox come up with new ways to lose.

I'm actually jealous of my friends that are Cubs fans. Whether it works or not, time will tell, but at least there's a "plan." I have no clue what the Sox are even attempting to do. Even if they decide to blow it up, some of our most trade-able commodities are injured (Konerko/Peavy/Crain) or cold as ice (Rios). Instead of converting them into legitimate prospects, Hahn will probably have to take AAAA players and pick up some of their salary to boot. It honestly couldn't get much worse. And while I applaud their relatively new drafting philosophy (higher ceiling kids), it may be several more years before any of them - Walker, Thompson, Barnum, Hawkins, and Anderson - are on the MLB roster. What's more troubling is that all of them are K-ing at an alarming rate. For a team that can't hit, this doesn't bode well for the future.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Default The Heckler

Sox have announced they will shoot off fireworks anytime a Sox runner is advanced to 2B for the duration of the season.

http://www.theheckler.com/2013/07/08/white-sox-to-shoot-off-fireworks-anytime-they-advance-a-runner-to-second-base/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=white-sox-to-shoot-off-fireworks-anytime-they-advance-a-runner-to-second-base
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
I'm actually jealous of my friends that are Cubs fans. Whether it works or not, time will tell, but at least there's a "plan." I have no clue what the Sox are even attempting to do. .
I think it is unfair to compare what the Cubs are doing and what the Sox are now dealing with. The Cubs went into this season knowing they would be awful and building for 2 or 3 years down the road. The Sox were coming off a year where they spent 110+ days in first place and expected to contend again for a division title. Contending was their plan for 2013 and it has obviously been a failure. The wheels are coming off the wagon this season and the team is going to be changing gears soon. We simply have to wait for the trades to happen before we can know for sure what Hahn's specific plan B is now that plan A has been a disaster. The Sox front office keeps things very close to the vest and don't use the media to hype upcoming roster decisions. Phegley and Simon Castro could be the first part of plan B being put in motion.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin