White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
True, but a big part of it is they are looking to dump Ethier, and they are going to have to take on big salary and give up prospects to get it done(that is if they want a player actually worth the salary). If they traded for Garza, I can't see the Cubs taking on Ethier so they probably have to give up just as many prospects. Besides, the Dodgers have demonstrated they'd rather spend to get the better player. They seem to be interested in making more of a statement to their fans. Being in the NL West, acquiring Peavy would tell their fans they are going all out more than acquiring the others, I would think.
With that offense in that division they should be making a serious run this year. With Ramirez back they have a legitimate shot at going deep in the playoffs if they can find the pitching. They looked all kinds of scary last night when I went to the game here in SF.

Kershaw, Ryu, Peavy and Greinke is one of the best top 4's in the game. And pitching in the NL Peavy would be even more deadly...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 PM
WSI Guru

The Dodgers acquired Nolasco from the Marlins for basically a bucket of balls, so perhaps they're still in the market for Peavy too. The main piece was Josh Wall, a 2nd round pick from '05 who has a 5.60 ERA in AAA now.

2014 Attendance Record: 3-5; 0.375
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Didn't Carlos Quentin have, by far, the best season of his career with the Sox?
Yes, his first full major league season. Then he went downhill and then headed back up with the Padres.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The Dodgers acquired Nolasco from the Marlins for basically a bucket of balls, so perhaps they're still in the market for Peavy too. The main piece was Josh Wall, a 2nd round pick from '05 who has a 5.60 ERA in AAA now.
Utter giveaway..except that they are picking up full salary i believe, which was want Miami probably wanted most.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Utter giveaway..except that they are picking up full salary i believe, which was want Miami probably wanted most.
That always seems what Loria wants. He either puts together a high-priced team to win a WS or he shoots for a payroll under $50 million that sheds most major talent. Nolasco was 20% of their team salary. After him, I'm not sure if anyone is making over $3 million.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
That always seems what Loria wants. He either puts together a high-priced team to win a WS or he shoots for a payroll under $50 million that sheds most major talent. Nolasco was 20% of their team salary. After him, I'm not sure if anyone is making over $3 million.
Besides last year's gimmick opening up the ballpark taxpayers paid for (and way overpaid for), has he ever done this?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The Dodgers also received international signing bonus slot number 96 (yeah, that is what it is called) which gives the Dodgers an additional $197,000 to spend on international free agents.

So, the Dodgers' willingness to assume all of Nolasco's salary netted them a mid level starter for the rest of this season and additional latitude to sign international prospects.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Besides last year's gimmick opening up the ballpark taxpayers paid for (and way overpaid for), has he ever done this?
You're right. I forgot he wasn't around there in '97 when they won the series and when they raised payroll in '05, their huge payroll jump was only to $60 million. When they won the series in '03, their payroll was only $45 million.

My bad on that one.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:14 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

With the marginal at best prospects the Dodgers gave up they still have pieces to make another move at the deadline.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.