White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I never really thought of Konerko as a real trade piece, anyway. I'm more worried about Crain in that regard.
Especially since the reports were that Konerko was untouchable anyways.

But, yeah, Crain being injured stinks.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Hey, Konerko out of the lineup again!

Tough to trade pieces when few of them are healthy enough to play.
It is so Sox to have the one year you can have a firesale to rebuild and the pieces are not healthy to trade.

This sucks.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I wouldn't even rule out 2014. Baseball is so unpredictable which is part of what makes it a great game. Nobody saw the Sox being contenders last year and they were. The Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels were supposed to run away with everything this year and not one of them is above .500. I will reserve judgment on 2014 until I see what moves Hahn makes.
Agreed.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Hey, Konerko out of the lineup again!

Tough to trade pieces when few of them are healthy enough to play.
Yeah but Keppinger has got that OPS up to .570! Wooohooo! That's an Ozzie type of DH right there.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalehosePlanet View Post
Yeah but Keppinger has got that OPS up to .570! Wooohooo! That's an Ozzie type of DH right there.
With this lineup, the Kotsay/Jones monster would actually be one of the more productive spots in the order.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I never really thought of Konerko as a real trade piece, anyway. I'm more worried about Crain in that regard.
Exactly. Konerko's not getting traded, let's just stop thinking that's going to happen.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I wouldn't even rule out 2014. Baseball is so unpredictable which is part of what makes it a great game. Nobody saw the Sox being contenders last year and they were. The Blue Jays, Dodgers, and Angels were supposed to run away with everything this year and not one of them is above .500. I will reserve judgment on 2014 until I see what moves Hahn makes.
I don't rule 2014 out, but I don't give it a high probability. If you look at who we'll likely give up here in trades and lose in free agency, we'll probably be replacing them with prospects or veterans on the downside of their career. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence in competing for a championship. I more think of 2014 as a chance to see what we've been building the last couple years and what we got out of trades we will likely make.

The one thing that makes me feel we can be competitive is our starting pitching staff. A healthy Danks and Peavy behind Sale could give us a shot. If we can find Dunn hitting above .220, that would be huge too.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM
New At WSI

I've heard some rumblings that teams are starting to show interest in John Danks. I wouldn't mind a rotation of Sale, Peavy, E. Johnson, Santiago and Quintana next season with Axelrod as the 6th starter. They also have a guy like Charlie Leesman who could be a spot starter and a reliever in the bullpen.

I really like the way the pitching is constructed and you know that the Sox will be looking for SP in any trade of Danks, Rios, Al. Ramirez, Crain, Thornton and Lindstrom.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM
WSI Regular

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/7...medium=twitter

Red Sox interested in Matt Thornton
Old 07-07-2013, 04:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager729 View Post
I've heard some rumblings that teams are starting to show interest in John Danks. I wouldn't mind a rotation of Sale, Peavy, E. Johnson, Santiago and Quintana next season with Axelrod as the 6th starter. They also have a guy like Charlie Leesman who could be a spot starter and a reliever in the bullpen.

I really like the way the pitching is constructed and you know that the Sox will be looking for SP in any trade of Danks, Rios, Al. Ramirez, Crain, Thornton and Lindstrom.
That's fine, if they give us something good for Danks. IN general, you aren't going to get much for overpaid players (which Danks, at this point, is). But he's certainly pitching well. But if it's a salary dump, I would prefer we pass. We probably need to move a lefty, in our situation, and I'd suggest Quintana.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastball23 View Post
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/7/7...medium=twitter

Red Sox interested in Matt Thornton
If he was throwing better, that $6 million option for new year may be enticing to some teams. Relief pitcher is definitely a position where if you're throwing well that you can pitch for ages.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Interesting question just came to mind: will Crain be representing the Sox on the team, or will he be wearing a different uniform? It may depend on his health and the impact of that on a trade.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That's fine, if they give us something good for Danks. IN general, you aren't going to get much for overpaid players (which Danks, at this point, is). But he's certainly pitching well. But if it's a salary dump, I would prefer we pass. We probably need to move a lefty, in our situation, and I'd suggest Quintana.
I think if it's a dump, and someone picks it all up, you trade Danks. There's no guarantee on his shoulder. Don't forget, that surgery was highly experimental. "Success" cases for that surgery include Johan Santana. That's all. And that's considered the success case. He's had so many setbacks/surgeries since then. And he's the most positive example available of someone having a torn shoulder capsule repaired through surgery.

The failures include Mark Prior, Dallas Braden, and Chien-Ming Wang. And while it's positive to see numbers results, it's obvious this is not John Danks we are watching on the mound. It's also worth noting that all of those players came back rough, got better, and then suffered setbacks that ultimately ended their effectiveness.

Last edited by blandman; 07-07-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-07-2013, 11:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I think if it's a dump, and someone picks it all up, you trade Danks. There's no guarantee on his shoulder. Don't forget, that surgery was highly experimental. "Success" cases for that surgery include Johan Santana. That's all. And that's considered the success case. He's had so many setbacks/surgeries since then. And he's the most positive example available of someone having a torn shoulder capsule repaired through surgery.

The failures include Mark Prior, Dallas Braden, and Chien-Ming Wang. And while it's positive to see numbers results, it's obvious this is not John Danks we are watching on the mound. It's also worth noting that all of those players came back rough, got better, and then suffered setbacks that ultimately ended their effectiveness.
With Danks, I would agree that it might be best to trade him. $42.75 million is a lot to have tied into someone over 3 years with arm problems. Add on top of that, if we are going to pare off a lot of talent soon, we have to ask how competitive we will be in 2014. If we trade him away and are a top starter away from something big, trading Danks could be a huge mistake. If we keep him but are in rebuilding mode, it could be a huge expenditure that cannot be invested in the future.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:50 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I've been begging for a decent catcher in the draft. Maybe there will be a good one with our high pick next year. I doubt we get a decent catching prospect here in return. With our success in getting SP seemingly out of thin air with Coop, I'd rather get someone who can start up the middle somewhere in late 2014 or 2015.
Nick Parent, who just completed his junior year at Cal State Monterey Bay, is planning to sign with the White Sox and forgo his senior year of college.

“He flew into Chicago last Monday for the workout and did pretty good,” Mark Parent said. “He plays first and third but they’re going to see if he can catch. What (assistant player development director) Del Matthews said is, ‘As long as he brings his bat, he’ll be all right.’ He swings it pretty good.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/whit...ther-son-combo
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Closed Thread