White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 AM
WSI Regular

David O'Brien ‏@ajcbraves

#Braves inquired about Peavy, but I get impression it was a just-in-case thing when couple of their starters were struggling.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

http://www.thesportsbank.net/the-ban...rs/#more-87135

Some interesting speculation.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRob View Post
Is that just some dude's blog? Just very random, listing guys who will be on our block, teams who have needs, then their top 5 prospects. The Dbacks are not trading us Adam Eaton for anyone other than Sale, we are not getting Taillon from the Pirates, just kind of a random article.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Is that just some dude's blog? Just very random, listing guys who will be on our block, teams who have needs, then their top 5 prospects. The Dbacks are not trading us Adam Eaton for anyone other than Sale, we are not getting Taillon from the Pirates, just kind of a random article.
It's simply speculation just like everyone elses. I think the names are just who's available doesn't mean we are going to get them.

I'd think about Sale moving as well depending on the haul. The Sox are going to be rebuilding for the next 3 or 4 years. What's really the point of keeping him, unless people want to go out every time he starts since he will be the only draw the next few years?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
It's simply speculation just like everyone elses. I think the names are just who's available doesn't mean we are going to get them.

I'd think about Sale moving as well depending on the haul. The Sox are going to be rebuilding for the next 3 or 4 years. What's really the point of keeping him, unless people want to go out every time he starts since he will be the only draw the next few years?
Because he's a great, young and cheap starter, and those don't come around too often. Any attempt at re-building will be made much more difficult if he's dealt.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Because he's a great, young and cheap starter, and those don't come around too often. Any attempt at re-building will be made much more difficult if he's dealt.
That is a huge maybe. I love Chris Sale, think he is great, if some team offers to overpay and throws 5 top 100 prospects our way with 2 in the top 30, you do it without thinking twice.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
That is a huge maybe. I love Chris Sale, think he is great, if some team offers to overpay and throws 5 top 100 prospects our way with 2 in the top 30, you do it without thinking twice.
That you might do, but I doubt a team pays that much. I don't recall any trade involving 5 top 100 prospects. How many teams have 5 prospects in the top 100?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That you might do, but I doubt a team pays that much. I don't recall any trade involving 5 top 100 prospects. How many teams have 5 prospects in the top 100?
I think the point being made is no one on this team should be untouchable, including Sale. A good G.M always listens to offers. If you can get 2 or 3 100 top prospects and 1 or 2 younger reeady to play right now guy they should listen.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Yeah, the biggest single haul I can remember a team getting was when the Tigers traded top Top 10 prospects to Miami for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis, and for those of you who think swapping the proven Sale for a ton of prospects that will help this rebuild, buyer beware, the two top prospects Detroit let go in that deal were Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller... A pair of guys who have turned out to do absolutely nothing in the Majors.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 07-03-2013, 07:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, the biggest single haul I can remember a team getting was when the Tigers traded top Top 10 prospects to Miami for Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis, and for those of you who think swapping the proven Sale for a ton of prospects that will help this rebuild, buyer beware, the two top prospects Detroit let go in that deal were Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller... A pair of guys who have turned out to do absolutely nothing in the Majors.
I completely agree. I doubt we would ever get value for a young stud like Chris Sale. He's already at an elite level (albeit on the verge of a major injury *cough* Blandman). Why would you trade a young, elite pitcher for someone who has a chance to be an elite player? Or even two players who have a chance to be elite?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I completely agree. I doubt we would ever get value for a young stud like Chris Sale. He's already at an elite level (albeit on the verge of a major injury *cough* Blandman). Why would you trade a young, elite pitcher for someone who has a chance to be an elite player? Or even two players who have a chance to be elite?
Because there is zero chance of building a competitive team around him. The Sox need to rebuild, and there's no guarantee Sale will last five years.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
I think the point being made is no one on this team should be untouchable, including Sale. A good G.M always listens to offers. If you can get 2 or 3 100 top prospects and 1 or 2 younger reeady to play right now guy they should listen.
I have no idea what the average day for a GM plus his team of underlings is like, but is it possible that by announcing that Sale is unavailable, they are reducing the distractions from trading the other chips that would inevitably come if teams thought Sale might be available? I would think that without the announcement, every phone call from a GM would first include inquiries about Sale. There would also likely be calls from GMs who are only interested in Sale and nobody else on the team. He's obviously the biggest prize available on the White Sox. Maybe Hahn et al do not want to deal with that headache or are worried that they might lose out on some good deals for the other players because they will be too busy talking to other GMs about trades for Sale that won't happen.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Because there is zero chance of building a competitive team around him. The Sox need to rebuild, and there's no guarantee Sale will last five years.
That's bull****, the Tigers went from completely dysfunctional, back-to-back 100-loss seasons to the World Series in 3 seasons. And the Sox already have quite the head start on them; between Sale, Danks, Quintana, and Santiago you already have potentially 80% of a solid MLB rotation.

It would be one thing if Sale was in his late 20s/early 30s, but even if this is a 4 or 5 year rebuild that still makes him 28-29 years old at that point. Barring a truly, truly mind blowing offer, trading him now doesn't make a whole lot of sense, when you're looking to acquire young, impact players who will help the team win in the future, I got news for you, Sale's 24 years old and already the best pitcher in the American League... You're just not going to find many guys who will top that.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
WSI Personality

Default Prospects

Seattle traded one of their best pitchers to Detroit a few years ago for a bunch of prospects. One of the so called top prospects they received was Casper Wells. To trade Sale for prospects is crazy.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Well it's a good thing then that a rebuild won't take 5 years.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Closed Thread