White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 03:14 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Except they're not even doing that right now, meaning we're lucky to get any kind of consistent offense going.
Yes, that is what live and die means.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM
WSI Regular

We need to blow it all up - keeping Sale only if guys like Hawkins and Anderson work out in the next year or two. We should get as many draft picks as we can from Rios, Peavy, Crain, Viciedo, Ramirez, Dunn/Konerko/Danks (probably not much there), and keep making signings like we did today with Micker Zapata. Problem is we'll need about 10 of them in order to find the one or two who will actually be starters on a major league team. Everyone knows our minor league system needs a total rework. We need to come to the realization that we're going to be bad for while - and that being bad is necessary to reload to compete for a world series title. We don't have the $$$ necessary to simply buy our way to the playoffs - and that model is sketchy at best - see the 2013 Yankees/Angels as prime examples.

If we're lucky we restock by the 2016 season and compete with Sale leading the way. I think until then we need to keep our 2005 World Series DVD's handy.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsPg View Post
We need to blow it all up - keeping Sale only if guys like Hawkins and Anderson work out in the next year or two. We should get as many draft picks as we can from Rios, Peavy, Crain, Viciedo, Ramirez, Dunn/Konerko/Danks (probably not much there), and keep making signings like we did today with Micker Zapata. Problem is we'll need about 10 of them in order to find the one or two who will actually be starters on a major league team. Everyone knows our minor league system needs a total rework. We need to come to the realization that we're going to be bad for while - and that being bad is necessary to reload to compete for a world series title. We don't have the $$$ necessary to simply buy our way to the playoffs - and that model is sketchy at best - see the 2013 Yankees/Angels as prime examples.

If we're lucky we restock by the 2016 season and compete with Sale leading the way. I think until then we need to keep our 2005 World Series DVD's handy.
Teams cannot trade draft picks in Major League Baseball
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
OMG, ABC is showing "The Bachelorette"! That show is terrible -- quick, ABC owes us people watching TV an explanation! OMG, "Monsters University" only got 2 stars -- Pixar owes us fans an explanation!

I can't think of any one who pays ABC thousands of dollars a year for their "entertainment". I can see why a season ticket holder would feel that way, they have invested in the team's success. The White Sox reach out to their season ticket holders in order to secure their renewals. Players call ticket holders and tell them they are playing to win for you, our fans. Season ticket holders respond by renewing their tickets. These condescending comparisons are ridiculous, no offense.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Teams cannot trade draft picks in Major League Baseball
You're right, meant prospects - A and AA only prospects are what we need...
Old 07-02-2013, 03:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I can't think of any one who pays ABC thousands of dollars a year for their "entertainment". I can see why a season ticket holder would feel that way, they have invested in the team's success. The White Sox reach out to their season ticket holders in order to secure their renewals. Players call ticket holders and tell them they are playing to win for you, our fans. Season ticket holders respond by renewing their tickets. These condescending comparisons are ridiculous, no offense.
This is from the message Boyer sent to season ticket holders the past off-season:

"Last year no one knew how Robin would be. Obviously for us to be competitive all last season, we have a lot of wind in our sails. Its very encouraging. When it comes to the gate, the White Sox could use some encouragement. The teams attendance has declined for six straight seasons and last season fell below 2 million for the first time since 2004."

The White Sox could use some encouragement at the gate...but it is unreasonable for the people providing that encouragement to have some interest or expectation in the team's success? Hey, if ABC said give me money for some quality programming, yeah, I'd probably not be happy after I gave them several thousand dollars and watched them roll out some garbage. I'd probably even make a phone call or two.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
This is from the message Boyer sent to season ticket holders the past off-season:

"Last year no one knew how Robin would be. Obviously for us to be competitive all last season, we have a lot of wind in our sails. Its very encouraging. When it comes to the gate, the White Sox could use some encouragement. The teams attendance has declined for six straight seasons and last season fell below 2 million for the first time since 2004."

The White Sox could use some encouragement at the gate...but it is unreasonable for the people providing that encouragement to have some interest or expectation in the team's success? Hey, if ABC said give me money for some quality programming, yeah, I'd probably not be happy after I gave them several thousand dollars and watched them roll out some garbage. I'd probably even make a phone call or two.
Poor choice of words by Brooks, but to his defense, he has nothing to do with the Baseball Side. If the Sox were winning, and Kenny/Hahn had put out anything close to a good team, maybe they draw 2.5 million fans.

Its hard to blame Brooks. People were FIRED UP over his fair and aggressive pricing plans and family plans. And then, we got the rude reminder that, oh yah, the White Sox suck, and even a 15 dollar ticket is probably too much to spend on this collection of stiffs.

Probably the best thing for the White Sox would be some kind of Cubs strategy, aggressive in the draft, sell vets for prospects, sign vets to short term, tradeable deals, move them for specs etc. Collect an abundance of talent of a couple of years in the farm and hope for the best.

Otherwise, there is just about NOTHING to be excited about at the MLB level. Sale is fantastic, I like Reed, some of the young arms are really nice, but thats it. We do not have 1 hitter, 1, with an OPS over .800. That is just pathetic. Right now the best thing to do is sell beckham before his average comes back down, see if someone buys into Dunn's incredible June, and see what we can get for Rios.

We robbed Peter to pay Paul for years, it caught up to us. We are in baseball hell right now, with a coinflip between what is worse, our mlb roster or our farm, which are both bottom 5-8 in the league.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Poor choice of words by Brooks, but to his defense, he has nothing to do with the Baseball Side. If the Sox were winning, and Kenny/Hahn had put out anything close to a good team, maybe they draw 2.5 million fans.

Its hard to blame Brooks. People were FIRED UP over his fair and aggressive pricing plans and family plans. And then, we got the rude reminder that, oh yah, the White Sox suck, and even a 15 dollar ticket is probably too much to spend on this collection of stiffs.

Probably the best thing for the White Sox would be some kind of Cubs strategy, aggressive in the draft, sell vets for prospects, sign vets to short term, tradeable deals, move them for specs etc. Collect an abundance of talent of a couple of years in the farm and hope for the best.

Otherwise, there is just about NOTHING to be excited about at the MLB level. Sale is fantastic, I like Reed, some of the young arms are really nice, but thats it. We do not have 1 hitter, 1, with an OPS over .800. That is just pathetic. Right now the best thing to do is sell beckham before his average comes back down, see if someone buys into Dunn's incredible June, and see what we can get for Rios.

We robbed Peter to pay Paul for years, it caught up to us. We are in baseball hell right now, with a coinflip between what is worse, our mlb roster or our farm, which are both bottom 5-8 in the league.
I wasn't trying to blame anyone, I was just demonstrating that it is reasonable, at least to me, for ST holders to have an expectation from the team when the team is saying we need you to pay more for our success. (I guess he was saying we need more of you to pay a little less, but the point is, we need our fans to buy more tickets) I don't have a problem with what Boyers said at all.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Banned

Ok, let's say it's not ABC TV, but HBO. You could pay thousands of dollars for that. Or Netflix, where you also buy their product. Or Rolling Stone magazine.

If you don't like the product they're selling, don't buy it, but I think it's hilarious to say that you are OWED an explanation for something that, quite frankly, you are but a teeny tiny percentage of what goes into the product, is hilarious.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Ok, let's say it's not ABC TV, but HBO. You could pay thousands of dollars for that. Or Netflix, where you also buy their product. Or Rolling Stone magazine.

If you don't like the product they're selling, don't buy it, but I think it's hilarious to say that you are OWED an explanation for something that, quite frankly, you are but a teeny tiny percentage of what goes into the product, is hilarious.
WRONG. If you are a season ticket holder, it is too late. You have bought a season of tickets and I doubt you can ask for your money back. So season ticket holders have the right to ask for an explanation. If the company you work for is having major problems, don't you have the right to ask management for an explanation???
Old 07-02-2013, 05:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
WRONG. If you are a season ticket holder, it is too late. You have bought a season of tickets and I doubt you can ask for your money back. So season ticket holders have the right to ask for an explanation. If the company you work for is having major problems, don't you have the right to ask management for an explanation???

The company only has to answer to stock holders. I doubt that many employees ever get to meet or even discuss the problems within a company with the president.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
The company only has to answer to stock holders. I doubt that many employees ever get to meet or even discuss the problems within a company with the president.
Just to name a few companies that have apologized in recent years to customers: JC Penny. Bank of America, Dominos Pizza. Makers Mark, Fed Ex, Toronto Maple Leafs
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccws View Post
just to name a few companies that have apologized in recent years to customers: Jc penny. bank of america, dominos pizza. Makers mark, fed ex, toronto maple leafs
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Just to name a few companies that have apologized in recent years to customers: JC Penny. Bank of America, Dominos Pizza. Makers Mark, Fed Ex, Toronto Maple Leafs
An apology is a far cry from a remedy. We'll try harder to please our customers in the future, just blah, blah, blah.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
An apology is a far cry from a remedy. We'll try harder to please our customers in the future, just blah, blah, blah.
Actually, Maple Leafs revamped their roster after the apology and made the playoffs for 1st time in years this season. So their blah blah blah worked.

Red Sox sent their season ticket holders an apology after last season. Seems like their blah blah blah is also working

Last edited by SCCWS; 07-02-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: sp