White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah, I've seen those 3-D movies they sucked. You should check out one of the new ones, worth the extra 3 bucks...
At the time it was a big deal as was Cinerama and CinemaScope, all to combat Television.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
You had to love Hahn's aggression in this draft. You don't fix a farm in a year, but 2 or 3 more years of this, especially with well executed trades at the deadlines, and we could see a much brighter future ahead of the Sox. Between the draft and the international period (where our farm just hit a monster Home Run), you likely will see 6 of our top 10 being new names added this year (maybe more if you assume we could land some top specs for Rios and Peavy if/when they are dealt).
What happened in the international draft?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
What happened in the international draft?
There isn't an international draft. The international signing period starts tomorrow. According to Kiley McDaniel as of about a week ago, the Sox reportedly have a deal to sign one of the top prospects in Micker Zapata. Toolsy, powerful, 16 year old outfielder.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
9th highest payroll. 25th highest attendance. They owe us an apology?
:
I like the cut of your jib. That kind of fan-friendly empathy for people's frustrations will get you far in this organization. I encourage you to contact HR if you ever want a position in our marketing/PR departments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Fans go to the park for Ws, for which we are tied for 27th.
They don't go to the park to watch payrolls for the sake of payroll.
Some people think we should be packing the ballpark because the Sox were in 1st place for a few months during the middle of last season before finishing out of the running yet again.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Some people think we should be packing the ballpark because the Sox were in 1st place for a few months during the middle of last season before finishing out of the running yet again.
I don't think anyone has said that but good try

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 07-02-2013, 10:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
No. I think Kittle took a trip to Manhattan or something...
3D/amped up sound - nope - saw it right here in lovely Chicago. You can still see "regular" movies for $12 some places, I think.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
3D/amped up sound - nope - saw it right here in lovely Chicago. You can still see "regular" movies for $12 some places, I think.
You just got to know where to go, theatre my wife and I go to is $6 matinee, $8 evenings... first run.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Yeah, I've seen those 3-D movies they sucked. You should check out one of the new ones, worth the extra 3 bucks...
All 3 D movies successfully do for me is give me a headache.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think that I have an explantion for the 2013 Sox -- they are having a really bad season. And here are eight reasons why:

(1) Some players, like Alejandro De Aza and Nate Jones, who exceeded expectations last year are underperforming this year;

(2) The Sox have had a lot of injuries: three starting pitchers have missed significant time (Floyd, Danks and Peavy, with Floyd out for at least 2013), Gordon Beckham missed most of the first half and Dayan Viciedo was out for a while;

(3) Paul Konerko is coming to the end of his great big league career and is in decline;

(4) Lack of depth on the big league club and in the minors has been a problem;

(5) The Sox miss A.J., pure and simple;

(6) The Sox defense has really underperformed. This one is really hard to explain, as Gillaspie is an upgrade on Kevin Youkilis defensively. Maybe the drop from AJ to Tyler Flowers and the presence of Adam Dunn at 1B instead of Konerko accounts for the defensive collapse. I don't know;

(7) The Sox do not get on base enough and lack team speed; and

(8) The Sox are really shaky up the middle. Flowers cannot catch and cannot hit. Alexei Ramirez is having a pretty mediocre 2013 despite stealing more bases this year. His power has been way down and his fielding has been eratic. Beckham has been fine but is just coming back from an injury. De Aza is really a fourth outfielder.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

OMG, ABC is showing "The Bachelorette"! That show is terrible -- quick, ABC owes us people watching TV an explanation! OMG, "Monsters University" only got 2 stars -- Pixar owes us fans an explanation!

Guys, this Sox team is lousy, but I didn't pay for any of the players on this team, I'm not a financial investor on this team, and Reinsdorf & Co. are not accountable to me.

I'm a fan. I'm still going to the games TO ENJOY MYSELF WITH FRIENDS & FAMILY, and if they turn around and win 100 games in a row, I still have to go to work tomorrow. If they LOSE 100 games in a row, I still have to go to work tomorrow.

Too funny...
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I think that I have an explantion for the 2013 Sox -- they are having a really bad season. And here are eight reasons why:
the condensed version. I'll give you TWO reasons why.. or at least two MAIN reason why:

the WS are not hitting home runs. Last year, they finished near the top in all of MLB in HR's.. This year, with 1/2 practically gone.. way, way off that pace..lower half in MLB.

Defense. Last year, the WS were #1 in MLB with least errors and best fielding percentage. This year, just a few percentage points in fielding from the BOTTOM in MLB. Remarkable. You'd be hard pressed to find a team in the history in MLB to from 1st to near the bottom in successive seasons.

The Home Run issue has finally come back to bite the organization. There is no way around the fact that HR's have cured a lot of ills offense-wise, and the KW era is a testament to building a team around the HR.. also this year not only are the HR's down, but the BB's are way down, further compounding the issue.

The Defense is a real head scratcher. Left field this year has been a nightmare.. Up the middle, the WS miss AJ more than they anticipated. Other than that, you would have to question how does a team in 2012 have the focus on the field, and in 2013 have no focus whatsover...??? You would probably have to be privvy to the attitude in the dugout and clubhouse on a daily basis to answer that question.

Defense and the Home Run.. with even SLIGHTLY better numbers in both of those categories, you would be talking about an entirely different season in 13'

Is the Organization accountable to the fans? Yes and No. I believe the Organization failed in addressing some of the pressing issues coming into 2013. They continue to live and die by the HR. The chemistry and attitude in the clubhouse has got to be the only explanation for the horrific defense.

I'm sure no one in a position of authority at 35th and Shields enjoys being the laughingstock of MLB at this point, and I can't believe for a second that JR would be happy with a drastically reduced payroll, record low attendance, and out of contention by Memorial Day.

There are people being paid a lot of money in the WS organization whose reputations are on the line. But, Bottom line, the fear of all fans that have been around since the early days of the Sunshine Boys regime is that Reinsdorf's loyalty will trump his decision to put people in power that could potentially fix what is wrong with this team and fix it pronto..

Last edited by captain54; 07-02-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post

(1) Some players, like Alejandro De Aza and Nate Jones, who exceeded expectations last year are underperforming this year;

(2) The Sox have had a lot of injuries: three starting pitchers have missed significant time (Floyd, Danks and Peavy, with Floyd out for at least 2013), Gordon Beckham missed most of the first half and Dayan Viciedo was out for a while;

(3) Paul Konerko is coming to the end of his great big league career and is in decline;

(4) Lack of depth on the big league club and in the minors has been a problem;

(5) The Sox miss A.J., pure and simple;

(6) The Sox defense has really underperformed. This one is really hard to explain, as Gillaspie is an upgrade on Kevin Youkilis defensively. Maybe the drop from AJ to Tyler Flowers and the presence of Adam Dunn at 1B instead of Konerko accounts for the defensive collapse. I don't know;

(7) The Sox do not get on base enough and lack team speed; and

(8) The Sox are really shaky up the middle. Flowers cannot catch and cannot hit. Alexei Ramirez is having a pretty mediocre 2013 despite stealing more bases this year. His power has been way down and his fielding has been eratic. Beckham has been fine but is just coming back from an injury. De Aza is really a fourth outfielder.
Nicely done (even if it's a little off topic from the OP). I think you're pretty dead on - can't point at one thing, it's many. My comments on two items: AJ's absence has had a greater impact than even *I* thought, and Ramirez' defensive woes this year are the biggest mystery of all.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
There isn't an international draft. The international signing period starts tomorrow. According to Kiley McDaniel as of about a week ago, the Sox reportedly have a deal to sign one of the top prospects in Micker Zapata. Toolsy, powerful, 16 year old outfielder.
Thanks. Here's the story just posted in the Trib:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,3585851.story

Old 07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

As long as the Sox play at the Cell, they will live or die by the HR. that's just the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
As long as the Sox play at the Cell, they will live or die by the HR. that's just the way it is.
Except they're not even doing that right now, meaning we're lucky to get any kind of consistent offense going.