White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger View Post
What his comment meant to me was that more people there meant that he'd have to work harder.

For some reason I've been leaving the park the last few seasons feeling like my family and I have been more of a burden to the operation than the reason it exists in the first place. Depressing.

I'm going to take a break and wait to hear if things improve. Right now I feel my money can be spent better elsewhere.
Brooks now has the kids in the red shirts on the ramps after the games telling you "thanks for coming and have a nice day", which seems more like trying to seal the hole in hull of the Titanic with a band-aid than trying to actually solve real problems inside the park.

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-30-2013, 10:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
It is hard to mess up a polish from the grill (unless the bun is stale) along with the old stand-by of churros. I mean, you cannot mess up fried dough with sugar on it. I made the mistake of trying those Hooters wings from the upper deck stand last time I was there. Those turned out to be a disappointment, as was the chicken fingers platter from the main concession stand on the previous visit. For now on it's Polish/churros or Jimmy John's on 35th Street, unless I'm in Club Level or in JR's suite.
You say that, but the couple times I tried churros at the park last season they were stale.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
You say that, but the couple times I tried churros at the park last season they were stale.
Friend of mine yesterday went to get a burger at the "rotunda in the batter's eye" (aka, FAN DECK), was gone for about a half hour because they were arguing with her that it's not just a burger anymore, it's a burger basket, etc etc etc, and she came back with a pretzel from the 2003 all-star game. Thankfully I have my SC membership in case any of my friends wants real food with good service. I don't mean to be picky, but whoever shows up at that place should get their asses kissed IMO with what they're forced to watch on the field. Anyone at that first game friday deserved a medal not the bum's rush.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

The response I received from Brooks

Quote:
Thank you for the note. This is the second email along these lines this weekend. As you likely know, we have Sportservice running our concessions (vendors) on our main levels and Levy Restaurants does so on the Club Level. They were made aware of the promotion on Friday. Why they did not staff appropriately is inexcusable.

We absolutely failed. We knew that the weather forecast looked good and we had 1,000,000 in Grant Park. The promotion was publicized. Our expectation was that the outfield would get hit by fans. Why we didn't have vendors is overly irritating and I completely understand your frustration. I would be upset too.

I cannot turn back time but please know that notes like this do help us get better. You can be certain that this will be discussed today. We cannot control what happens on the field but we certainly can control what happens off of it. I am sorry we failed you on something so easy to control.

As far as any sort of new policy for giveaway items, that is new news to me. I will check to see if there is something new and what the thinking was behind it. I would not be surprised if there was any sort of new policy but I will find out. Again, inexcusable. I will report back to you.

Brooks

2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

What a joke. If the ballpark wasn't the main place I see my friends in the summer I'd eat the rest of my tickets.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanger View Post
For some reason I've been leaving the park the last few seasons feeling like my family and I have been more of a burden to the operation than the reason it exists in the first place. Depressing.
I feel the same exact way. I get that the service industry is tough, but part of the job is putting on a happy face. Certainly no excuse for making the customer feel unappreciated.

I've criticized Brooks in the past, but I'm heartened to see from his note to Harry Potter (An aside: The idea of Brooks writing a note to the actual Harry Potter is making me laugh.) that he's frustrated about what's going on. Ultimately, the buck stops with him, but the first step is acknowledging failure, and I think he's there, to some degree anyway.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM

New rule: If there's a major league baseball game being played, you open the ****ing concession stands AND have venders/ushers in the park. You know, like every other major league sports team. Now I wish about 30000 would have shown up from the parade............

Even yesterday, the concourse was packed for family day and some of the PERMANENT STANDS WERE CLOSED. Come on. This is ridiculous.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM

I sat through the dark days at the United Center when there were about 3 grand at the game and I basically had a section of seats to myself on the 300 level. Guess what? ALL THE STANDS WERE OPEN AND THERE WERE VENDERS AND USHERS. I'm sick of this "staffing to the projected attendance" bull****. Staff the ****ing park or hire a company that will. I can't believe that sportservice doesn't have to answer to somebody from ballpark operations. That's ridiculous.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
I assume someone in the organization reads the board, but I also assume they realize catering to the small fraction of hard core Sox fans' opinions on the board is not good business.
I'm sorry, but this can't just be an issue the small/hardcore fraction of the fan base is noticing. If any of the fans who show up to the Cell have been to any other sporting event in this city, or anywhere else, you can't help but notice. The Sox failures in customer service are glaring, IMO.

The problem is, the casual fan showing up at the ballpark once or twice a year sees this and they just won't come back. The hardcore fans will come, but will be the loudest bitchers in the bunch. Maybe they should start listening to someone/something other than their damn surveys, because this organization - top to bottom - has become a joke.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerko View Post
I sat through the dark days at the United Center when there were about 3 grand at the game and I basically had a section of seats to myself on the 300 level. Guess what? ALL THE STANDS WERE OPEN AND THERE WERE VENDERS AND USHERS. I'm sick of this "staffing to the projected attendance" bull****. Staff the ****ing park or hire a company that will. I can't believe that sportservice doesn't have to answer to somebody from ballpark operations. That's ridiculous.
They've been doing this for years- at the old ballpark- any big spike in walk up (great weather, hot streak,etc)- and they would "choke" on the volume- because only a few ticket windows would be open.

Concession stands closing down in the 7th inning, etc.

I've visited 23 different MLB ballparks- I have NEVER experienced the b.s. that you witness at the Cell.

When I've gone to a different ballpark (usually work travel related) then visited the Cell within a week or so- the difference is "jarring".
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

I went to a Twins/Angels game in the mid 1980's on a "Hat Day" where the Twins organization was evidently stunned to see a crowd of about 40,000 show up (given there were about 5,500 the night before).

I think two vending stands were open, there were ZERO walking vendors and it was a complete disaster. My fiance (now my wife) stood in line for 5 innings to get me a beer (which was a major reason I married her).

All that being said - The Twins took out a full page ad apologizing for not being prepared for such a crowd in the next day's paper.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Regular

The new in and out policy was a mess on Sat. Seems they tried to enforce it by not letting anyone out until all the Pierce statues were given away.
Some people walked out without getting scanned too.
Maybe they changed it since people might have been doubling up on giveaways?

Did anyone notice too that the Porta Potties were missing near
the band stage near Gate 5 too?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
They've been doing this for years- at the old ballpark- any big spike in walk up (great weather, hot streak,etc)- and they would "choke" on the volume- because only a few ticket windows would be open.

Concession stands closing down in the 7th inning, etc.

I've visited 23 different MLB ballparks- I have NEVER experienced the b.s. that you witness at the Cell.

When I've gone to a different ballpark (usually work travel related) then visited the Cell within a week or so- the difference is "jarring".
All part of this franchise being run like a small market team, hell you probably don't see stuff like this in the minors.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 07-01-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
"Yea, let's take off the white sock from the road uniforms, let's get rid of dollar dog days, oh and we should change the montage at the beginning of the game. Who will notice?"
"In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't..."

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazz32 View Post
The new in and out policy was a mess on Sat. Seems they tried to enforce it by not letting anyone out until all the Pierce statues were given away.
Some people walked out without getting scanned too.
Maybe they changed it since people might have been doubling up on giveaways?

Did anyone notice too that the Porta Potties were missing near
the band stage near Gate 5 too?
Think they pulled some porta potties for the parade route? You have to have food and bathroom for your fans. Lack those two things and you have a big problem.