White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
No explanation needed, anyone with baseball sense sees what happened. What are they planning in the future? Keep your eyes and ears open, we will see. Actions speak louder than words.
Auctions speak louder than words. We're about to see one, please. I hope Hahn has the skills of a Frank Lane hidden somewhere. Since Hahn is the German word for rooster, I hope he's not chicken.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:09 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Auctions speak louder than words. We're about to see one, please. I hope Hahn has the skills of a Frank Lane hidden somewhere. Since Hahn is the German word for rooster, I hope he's not chicken.
Auctions are a tangible good for money. I sure hope that is not what this organization has in mind. Unless it is the total organization up for auction.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Fans go to the park for Ws, for which we are tied for 27th.
They don't go to the park to watch payrolls for the sake of payroll.
The point is that the team continues to have a high payroll despite struggling to get fans into the park. They don't owe us ****. The players aren't living up their end of the bargain. It's that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 PM
WSI High Priest

The Sox owe us nothing, and we owe them nothing. As much as I love the White Sox, and will never cheer for another team, they are a product that I can choose to enjoy or ignore. Like an expensive car that is a disaster and breaks down all the time, the price they spend means nothing to the fan base. They may as well have a 30 million payroll if this is the results they get. They pay executives a lot of money to find talent and put out a competitive team. Kenny Williams did his job a couple times over his GM tenure and got promoted. Rick Hahn was highly touted, but yet to prove he can find young talent (will take a few years to see the results of this).

For almost 6 years now the White Sox have given us a product that has the talent of a .500 ball club and they hope everything goes right and we sneak into the playoffs.

Until they figure it out, Fans will just continue to ignore them. If Sony kept putting out TV's that were the 10th most expensive in a market of 100 options, and the picture just sucked, year after year, people would stop buying them until Sony proved they could make a good TV. Sony would then have 2 options, sell the ****ty TV for less money, or make a better TV.

The White Sox choose to sell us a ****ty tv for less money this year. Maybe in the future they will figure it out.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
The point is that the team continues to have a high payroll despite struggling to get fans into the park. They don't owe us ****. The players aren't living up their end of the bargain. It's that simple.
Or one could point to the fact we spend money poorly, and our executives, starting with Kenny, are not really that great at their job.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
I'm sure they will be crippled by the $30 they don't get from you.

I don't know why people think the teams they are fans of owe them anything. I think there's quite a few franchises in MLB that have proven you don't even need fans to make money. What do you want? A weekly State of the Sox address? Them to post opinion polls on certain players and make deals based on the fans' desires? It's their team. They're going to run it however they want. They don't owe us a dang thing.
Sorry, but that's the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever read. He wasn't saying there should be a weekly address or polls, you just said that to make yourself look all smarty pants . Of course they owe the fans an explanation of what they are going to do to fix this if they expect ANY to show up for the rest this season and beyond. The longer it becomes apparent they have no idea what they are doing the less fans are going to come and watch this debacle. That's like saying a car company doesn't owe consumers an explanation for why the car blows up after 70,000 miles. If they want any business they will provide a solution and an explanation. I have serious doubts this group has a clue personally. All KW and associates should have been shown the door after it became apparent they were not capable of putting together a consistent playoff contender. Instead, KW was promoted and his right hand man was made GM. That is the definition of baseball insanity. The White Sox need a fresh start with new blood in the front office.

Last edited by mahagga73; 06-30-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:27 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
So they have a high payroll , so what? Did it ever occur to you pretty much every player on the team is overpaid and KW and company have done a poor job and deserve criticism.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:32 PM
WSI Personality

The good news is the Sox are worse than the Cubs. We will get a higher draft choice than they will.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
He got Billy Pierce, Nellie Fox, Minnie Minoso and Sherm Lollar for very little in return. This helped jump start the go go era. It would be great if Hahn could channel his inner Frank Lane.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
Sorry, but that's the biggest bunch of nonsense I've ever read. He wasn't saying there should be a weekly address or polls, you just said that to make yourself look all smarty pants . Of course they owe the fans an explanation of what they are going to do to fix this if they expect ANY to show up for the rest this season and beyond. The longer it becomes apparent they have no idea what they are doing the less fans are going to come and watch this debacle. That's like saying a car company doesn't owe consumers an explanation for why the car blows up after 70,000 miles. If they want any business they will provide a solution and an explanation. I have serious doubts this group has a clue personally. All KW and associates should have been shown the door after it became apparent they were not capable of putting together a consistent playoff contender. Instead, KW was promoted and his right hand man was made GM. That is the definition of baseball insanity. The White Sox need a fresh start with new blood in the front office.
But the car company DOESN'T owe the consumer any explanation. Again, it would make sense, it engages the consumer, but if Chevy made a car called the lightning rod and it sold a lot of units each year, and it also died at 75k miles every year, and Chevy told you nothing, then the ball is in your court as a consumer. If you are a chevy loyalist, but you continue to buy a lightning rod, you are wrong, not Chevy. The only way Chevy has to build a better car is by making the lightning rod a reliable vehicle.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
So they have a high payroll , so what? Did it ever occur to you pretty much every player on the team is overpaid and KW and company have done a poor job and deserve criticism.
Did anybody say that KW and the front office didn't deserve criticism?

I think the point is there's a difference between a team that's just not trying and a team that tries and fails horribly. The White Sox front office/ownership was trying to be good (maybe not trying hard enough, but they were trying). They aren't the Marlins. You can criticize the way things turned out all you want, but it's silly to want them to explain themselves - what happened is fairly obvious to anybody who's been watching and knows anything about baseball.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Did anybody say that KW and the front office didn't deserve criticism?

I think the point is there's a difference between a team that's just not trying and a team that tries and fails horribly. The White Sox front office/ownership was trying to be good (maybe not trying hard enough, but they were trying). They aren't the Marlins. You can criticize the way things turned out all you want, but it's silly to want them to explain themselves - what happened is fairly obvious to anybody who's been watching and knows anything about baseball.
I personally don't expect an explanation , I am not saying that , but it would be nice , as well as some sort of evidence they know what they are doing. The condition of the farm system , what is being done to fix that, whatever they are doing is not working. And the people responsible are promoted ,lol.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Then don't ****in get worked up over it. It's sports, guys. SPORTS. Sometimes your favorite baseball team is just bad. The Sox were basically irrelevant in the mid-to-late '90s, buried behind the dynasty Bulls and the Sammy & Co. Cubs and low and behold, they wound up having arguably the best decade in team history immediately following.

Getting all pouty and throwing a temper tantrum about how you're "owed" an explanation isn't going to make anything better. If JR came out tomorrow and talked about how ****ty the team was or fired Hahn or Ventura would that really make watching Gordon Beckham tackling Gillaspie in the 9th more palatable? Would it make watching Viciedo or De Aza lose track of the number of outs in the inning better? No, the team would still be ****ty. Just have to ride it out until they're not ****ty any more.
That is a pretty narrow view of the original poster's comments, and you may be seeing it with a pre-conceived notion of the original poster that I don't have, which is fine. But I interpret it differently. I look at how the Bears approach to their public relations changed so drastically with Angelo and Lovie out. The new GM has been pretty transparent, or at least as much as he could be without tipping his hand. Not only is it refreshing, it's been well received and actually makes me want to watch and root for the organization. It's called PR, marketing, whatever you want to call it. I think Hahn's recent comments about being sick about this team are a step in that direction. But I have no problem with what the original poster has said. This organization is a mess right now, period. It's not JR who needs to say something, that is not his role, but at least the GM, or even Kenny if he is still involved. It would be nice if after the trade deadline someone came out and gave us at least a hint about where it's all going. Heck, even the Cubs at this point are doing a million times better at explaining their plan.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our 3-4-5 hitters. Or our closer.

"I'm sorry that you don't like our third baseman and our shortstop. Or our left fielder and our right fielder.

"I'm sorry people feel this way about our club. But I also want you to know something about that:

"We don't care."

-Kenny Williams before start of 2005 season
Old 06-30-2013, 08:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge View Post
That is a pretty narrow view of the original poster's comments, and you may be seeing it with a pre-conceived notion of the original poster that I don't have, which is fine. But I interpret it differently. I look at how the Bears approach to their public relations changed so drastically with Angelo and Lovie out. The new GM has been pretty transparent, or at least as much as he could be without tipping his hand. Not only is it refreshing, it's been well received and actually makes me want to watch and root for the organization. It's called PR, marketing, whatever you want to call it. I think Hahn's recent comments about being sick about this team are a step in that direction. But I have no problem with what the original poster has said. This organization is a mess right now, period. It's not JR who needs to say something, that is not his role, but at least the GM, or even Kenny if he is still involved. It would be nice if after the trade deadline someone came out and gave us at least a hint about where it's all going. Heck, even the Cubs at this point are doing a million times better at explaining their plan.
I agree ,though I'm not a Bear's fan. And yes, if JR did come out and clean house IT WOULD make watching this team much more bearable.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Any "explanation" would be awkward since it would involve Hahn highlighting the mistakes his boss made- ****ed up, barren farm system, overpriced veteran contracts for Dunn, Danks, etc., weak talent assessment or development (Viciedo, Flowers) and hiring a manager with zero experience at any level.

Like if Hoyer and Epstein were reporting to Hendry.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."