White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Rios to Pittsburgh makes a ton of sense, but the tricky part is for the Pirates to be able to afford him. If Rios gets traded this season, I would like to see him go to the Pirates. It would be nice to get our hands on one of those early picks, namely Austin Meadows or Reese McGuire.
http://www.piratesprospects.com/2013...rrit-cole.html
I thought you couldn't trade draft picks until one year after they were drafted.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Turns out you can't trade for June picks. Oh well. I think the Pirates still have plenty of growing talent in that system.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I thought you couldn't trade draft picks until one year after they were drafted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Turns out you can't trade for June picks. Oh well. I think the Pirates still have plenty of growing talent in that system.
Ah...the way to get around this is PTBNL.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Ah...the way to get around this is PTBNL.
Isn't there a limited window of time before the PTBNL must be named?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Isn't there a limited window of time before the PTBNL must be named?
I'm not sure. I just know it's been used to trade people that can't because of draft date.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I'm not sure. I just know it's been used to trade people that can't because of draft date.
I'm pretty sure a PTBNL hasn't been a player recently drafted. Usually it's a player announced a few weeks or a few months later. I can't recall any trade where it's nearly one year later.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm pretty sure a PTBNL hasn't been a player recently drafted. Usually it's a player announced a few weeks or a few months later. I can't recall any trade where it's nearly one year later.
Ah you're right. It seems a PTBNL must be sent within 6 months.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Ah you're right. It seems a PTBNL must be sent within 6 months.
Thanks, didn't know there was an exact rule.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
there's no point in trading veterans for the sake of trading them.
Unless they want to slash salary.
I agree, the prudent thing may be to hold onto some of these guys and dump them next year at this time. Danks would be sold at low ebb, one of the practices that put us into this mess. Unless they want to slash salary
Old 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I thought the rule was you can't trade them during the season in which they are drafted rather than a full year, in which case the PTBNL trick would work. However, I wasn't able to find a definitive answer with a quick google search.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Konerko's not going to get traded when the Hahn says everyone but Sale and Konerko is available, it probably means that Paul's not going to waive his 10/5 rights. I have a pretty strong feeling that this is his last season and he wants to retire as a member of the White Sox.

Danks is worth holding on to because he's not likely to fetch any return that has any more potential future value than he does, his peripherals so far have been pretty good other than the dramatic increase in HR allowed which is probably just the calling card of a guy who is rebuilding his arm after surgery.

I think there's a chance people expecting the Sox to just gut the team for the sake of gutting it may be in for a bad surprise, the Sox are in the driver's seat with most of their more tradeable players; Peavy, Rios, and Alexei all have deals that go through the 2014 year, and the Sox don't exactly have a plethora of young kids in AA and AAA knocking on the door of the Majors, there's no point in trading veterans for the sake of trading them.
I have a feeling there will be a mandate to dump at least some $$$. Management sees the attendance and isn't going to want to take a bath paying for salary $$$ with reduced revenue coming in. If 2014 is a rebuilding year, they'll also want to get the payroll well under $90-100 million. Konerko and Floyd coming off puts you below $100 million, barring any other raises. If we're able to dump Rios and Dunn, there is another $20-30 million there depending on what we'd have to eat on Dunn. Then you start looking at Peavy, Ramirez, Crain, and Thornton and a lot of $$$ are freed up.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:33 PM
WSI Prelate

I certainly hope not because eating some Rios and Peavy salary is going to be critical in getting a quality return for those players.
And dealing with a team like the Pirates, who need a Rios, likely will require some salary eating to get good prospects, of which they have several.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I certainly hope not because eating some Rios and Peavy salary is going to be critical in getting a quality return for those players.
And dealing with a team like the Pirates, who need a Rios, likely will require some salary eating to get good prospects, of which they have several.
I doubt it. Both of those deals are pretty team friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
If we can essentially use some of these deals to buy extra prospects off teams willing to part with them, I'm all for it.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Not according to the Pirates' MO. Their highest paid player is at 7 million, and their payroll is already some 40% higher than last year. Of course, paying to get over .500 and paying to win a World Series are two completely different circumstances.
Closed Thread