White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 03:25 AM
WSI Prelate

I haven't been to a game since opening day and this thread only makes me feel better about my decision.

**** the Sox, for a while at least.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM
WSI Personality

OTOH...We got to the stadium just at the start of game 1. Rain had just ended 15 minutes or so prior to the start of the game, and our usher was ready with hand towels and dried off our seats for us. Great service.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:28 AM
WSI Personality

I always sit in the upper deck on the 1st base side and the last few home games I've attended (including Friday's game 1 and Saturday for the Pierce statue) I've noticed the permanent polish sausage stand by section 524 hasn't been open. Not sure if something's wrong with the grill or if it's closed for attendane reasons, but it does suck having to walk al the way to the 3rd base side just to buy a polish with grilled onions.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM
WSI Prelate

I know that this won't help matters at all but has anyone emailed Brooks to tell him about this stuff? The team sucks and he can't help that but the White Sox keep trying to market their product as fun at the old ballpark and how fun it is to go to a White Sox game, the evidence in these threads suggest that the White Sox will not be getting many repeat customers unless the team wins.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm wondering how this Vendor job works these days. When I was a vendor in 1962 there was no one to tell you to work or stay home. The guys that showed up game after game got the best items to sell. If your showed up once a homestand you got to sell Ice Cream or Lemonade when the temp was in the 40s. I was a kid and showed up quite a bit but was too young to sell beer but believe it or not peanuts were the next best thing and I usually got them to sell. A lot of the old guys got to sell programs at the gate which was good and then sold collectibles. The old guys also got hot dogs.
I'm also wondering if they work on commission these days, we got 25 percent, if they are on commission these days they could be making a fortune selling beer.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

If it takes emailing Boyer about these problems for him to learn about them then that's a major problem. He, or somebody from the organization, should be reading this board daily, and correcting problems pronto (along with contacting the people who posted complaints to apologize and make good).
Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
If it takes emailing Boyer about these problems for him to learn about them then that's a major problem. He, or somebody from the organization, should be reading this board daily, and correcting problems pronto (along with contacting the people who posted complaints to apologize and make good).
I have no doubt that the White Sox do not look at this board, it seems to me that the White Sox marketing department operates in a bubble. "Yea, let's take off the white sock from the road uniforms, let's get rid of dollar dog days, oh and we should change the montage at the beginning of the game. Who will notice?"
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

I assume someone in the organization reads the board, but I also assume they realize catering to the small fraction of hard core Sox fans' opinions on the board is not good business.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:44 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'm also wondering if they work on commission these days, we got 25 percent, if they are on commission these days they could be making a fortune selling beer.
They get a commission. I know that in 2010, the in-stands beer vendors got $.50 a bottle. Before you think they were making out like bandits, the Twins that year were paying their in-stands beer people $1.00 per bottle.

All hail The Rick
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
They get a commission. I know that in 2010, the in-stands beer vendors got $.50 a bottle. Before you think they were making out like bandits, the Twins that year were paying their in-stands beer people $1.00 per bottle.
So they are not getting 25%.
What does a beer go for this year, if its 8 bucks they would get a 2 dollar commission, sounds like they are getting around 6 or 7 %.
Beers were a buck a bottle in 1962 and the guys got a quarter a bottle which compared to what you say the guys are getting now was very good.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-30-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I know that this won't help matters at all but has anyone emailed Brooks to tell him about this stuff? The team sucks and he can't help that but the White Sox keep trying to market their product as fun at the old ballpark and how fun it is to go to a White Sox game, the evidence in these threads suggest that the White Sox will not be getting many repeat customers unless the team wins.
I've emailed Brooks a number of times over the past few years- including the "annual complaint thread" I started after Opening Day.

I'll give him credit for always responding- but the responses are mostly rationalizations, defensiveness, "our surveys tell us were doing the right things",etc.- so I've given up. He started off very strong in his role- but like most, if not all of the White Sox organization, it's time for a change.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I e-mailed Brooks about my experiences this weekend (lack of vendors, utter confusion over the change in the in/out policy, etc.). If I get a response, I will gladly share with the board.

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 06-30-2013, 06:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I've emailed Brooks a number of times over the past few years- including the "annual complaint thread" I started after Opening Day.

I'll give him credit for always responding- but the responses are mostly rationalizations, defensiveness, "our surveys tell us were doing the right things",etc.- so I've given up. He started off very strong in his role- but like most, if not all of the White Sox organization, it's time for a change.
I agree with you on Brooks. He is a bright man, but he is part of a stagnant organization. A change would do him good, too.

The complaints on this thread are nothing new. The White Sox have never been good in the customer service end of things. It is one of many reasons for bad attendance.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I priced out the DH using a code a couple days ago, and it ended up being slightly less than that promotion anyway.

Also, if it let in more people so he could make more money selling beer, why would it be stupid?
What his comment meant to me was that more people there meant that he'd have to work harder.

For some reason I've been leaving the park the last few seasons feeling like my family and I have been more of a burden to the operation than the reason it exists in the first place. Depressing.

I'm going to take a break and wait to hear if things improve. Right now I feel my money can be spent better elsewhere.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:58 PM
WSI Guru

It is hard to mess up a polish from the grill (unless the bun is stale) along with the old stand-by of churros. I mean, you cannot mess up fried dough with sugar on it. I made the mistake of trying those Hooters wings from the upper deck stand last time I was there. Those turned out to be a disappointment, as was the chicken fingers platter from the main concession stand on the previous visit. For now on it's Polish/churros or Jimmy John's on 35th Street, unless I'm in Club Level or in JR's suite.