White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox don't owe any of us a thing. You don't have to buy the product.

The most foolish thing the FO could do is go public with their rebuild strategy before the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post

The most foolish thing the FO could do is go public with their rebuild strategy before the deadline.
I agree with you in the sense that we don't have to buy the product.
The difference is that our love of the Sox does not come down to a real product, following a sports team is an emotional thing built up over years of passion for the team. It's not like screw Chevrolet, I'm going to buy a Ford or the hell with Dell I'm going to get an Apple. The Sox are part of us and we are part of them and it hurts me deeply when I see what's happening with this franchise.
I could see lousy players under Veeck and the Allyns, they never had the money to compete but JR and company are a different story, they came in with grand ideas and building a great tradition. The Sox have averaged a record of 83.5 and 78.5 in JRs 32 years as owner, like someone said, some are spoiled by mediocrity.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-30-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Does not the visiting team get some part of the gate receipts any more?

The larger picture is how many fans up there in Chicago feel the same way?
If I was a season ticket customer I would be demanding my money back (never happen) and would sure as hell cancel for next year.
I'm sure they will be crippled by the $30 they don't get from you.

I don't know why people think the teams they are fans of owe them anything. I think there's quite a few franchises in MLB that have proven you don't even need fans to make money. What do you want? A weekly State of the Sox address? Them to post opinion polls on certain players and make deals based on the fans' desires? It's their team. They're going to run it however they want. They don't owe us a dang thing.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm with you, Little Nell.

One reason nothing has been said could very well be that they don't have a plan. Merely dumping players in a disastrous season is not a plan.

What's disconcerting about the organization is it doesn't seem to be honest with itself. The Sox suffered a big collapse in 2012. Losing Pierzynski and adding Keppinger was far from a formula for success in 2013. The current roster obviously has major problems. Looking at the everyday lineup of position players, there's not much there for the future. Perhaps Beckham. Maybe Gillaspie. An optimist might say Viciedo. That's it, and that's probably stretching it.

And then there's the issue of the sorry state of the minor-league system. When major changes were called for to fix this, some people responsible for the atrocious drafting and player development were actually promoted.

So, yes, what's the plan for fixing this mess? I believe part of that requires an honest look in the mirror, but that seems like a longshot.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post

I don't know why people think the teams they are fans of owe them anything.
Because they receive exemptions from critical federal laws and because the taxpayers, in many cases, built their stadiums and otherwise subsidized them financially.

It's also good business to keep your customers apprised of what's going on. They don't have to, but it's a good practice.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Because they receive exemptions from critical federal laws and because the taxpayers, in many cases, built their stadiums and otherwise subsidized them financially.
So do millions of other businesses and people. If every person/entity that received those monies owes us an explanation of how they're running their business/lives, that's all we'd hear every day all day.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:23 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post

I Do believe that I don't HAVE to buy the product, but yet we do. For a company or organization to say, "sorry you spent your hard earned dollars on our crappy product, but we didn't twist your arm to do it" is a sure sign of an organization sprinting towards the bottom.

I too would like to hear of a plan, but at this point it wouldn't have a positive benefit. Also, would it be truthful? What you might hear would only tick you off more (e.g. "the fans need to buy more tickets").
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Looking at the everyday lineup of position players, there's not much there for the future. Perhaps Beckham. Maybe Gillaspie. An optimist might say Viciedo. That's it, and that's probably stretching it.
My nomination for understatement of the year.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Little Nell before I make even the shortest and simplest of posts I remind myself someone is likely to tell me in words and/or emoticons what a complete and worthless idiot I am. I'm with you. The team has me beyond exasperation. Believe me if they continue to flounder for a few more years, and the Cubs have even the most modest upturn they will be beyond irrelevant. They're close to that now. I understand the passion and the frustration. We cancelled our Tropicana Dome trip too.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Sure, we're owed an explanation. That doesn't mean we'll get it though. The chairman isn't going to alienate even more of the fan base by being brutally honest. If he did, the attendance would go back to the late 90s levels. No right-thinking owner is going to say "We suck, there's no clear plan, go spend your money elsewhere."
Old 06-30-2013, 01:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Little Nell before I make even the shortest and simplest of posts I remind myself someone is likely to tell me in words and/or emoticons what a complete and worthless idiot I am. I'm with you. The team has me beyond exasperation. Believe me if they continue to flounder for a few more years, and the Cubs have even the most modest upturn they will be beyond irrelevant. They're close to that now. I understand the passion and the frustration. We cancelled our Tropicana Dome trip too.
We are the 5th team in popularity in Chicago right now and the Fire one day might overtake us as more as more kids are playing soccer these days.
As for your other point, I think most posters on this site enjoy the site and post intelligent insights, there seems to be a few who have joined only to demean and ridicule other members. I try not to get in arguements with people I don't know or have never met and don't ever want to meet.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Then don't ****in get worked up over it. It's sports, guys. SPORTS. Sometimes your favorite baseball team is just bad. The Sox were basically irrelevant in the mid-to-late '90s, buried behind the dynasty Bulls and the Sammy & Co. Cubs and low and behold, they wound up having arguably the best decade in team history immediately following.

Getting all pouty and throwing a temper tantrum about how you're "owed" an explanation isn't going to make anything better. If JR came out tomorrow and talked about how ****ty the team was or fired Hahn or Ventura would that really make watching Gordon Beckham tackling Gillaspie in the 9th more palatable? Would it make watching Viciedo or De Aza lose track of the number of outs in the inning better? No, the team would still be ****ty. Just have to ride it out until they're not ****ty any more.

Last edited by doublem23; 06-30-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We are the 5th team in popularity in Chicago right now and the Fire one day might overtake us as more as more kids are playing soccer these days.
Don't worry, by the time that happens, the Blackhawks will suck again and 90% of the bandwagon fanbase will be rooting for whatever hot team is happening (no disrespect to the hardcores here.)

2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Then don't ****in get worked up over it. It's sports, guys. SPORTS. Sometimes your favorite baseball team is just bad. The Sox were basically irrelevant in the mid-to-late '90s, buried behind the dynasty Bulls and the Sammy & Co. Cubs and low and behold, they wound up having arguably the best decade in team history immediately following.

Getting all pouty and throwing a temper tantrum about how you're "owed" an explanation isn't going to make anything better.
There are three or four guys here that despise Reinsdorf, and that is their agenda. This stuff is predictable at this point.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

Getting all pouty and throwing a temper tantrum about how you're "owed" an explanation isn't going to make anything better.
Maybe I should have said that management owes the fans an apology over the crappy things we have seen so far. If you are not that bothered by all this that's fine, everybody is different. I am a very emotional person when it comes to White Sox baseball and have invested over 60 years of passion with this team and if I want to be pouty and throw temper tantrums, thats my perogative.