White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Post We are owed an explanation.

JR needs to come forward an explain what's going on with this franchise. It's great that he has a great stadium contract and is making money and hardly pays any rent. Is he happy just to make money and let the fans suffer?
I want to know what the plans are for the team, no one says anything. Are we going to rebuild? Are we going to make trades. Are we going to start investing more in our Minor League program? Are we going to spend tons of money in free agents after the season. Someone needs come forward and tell us what the plan is. Right now we have a worse record than the stinking Cubs but they at least have told their fans that they are in a rebuilding phase and be patient.
Yesterday was the first time since I moved to Florida that I did not watch a Sox game on WGN, I'm only able to get games on WGN and ESPN. We also will not be making our annual trip over to TB next week to see the Sox and Rays. I will not spend one cent of my retirement income to watch a team playing like a bunch of clowns.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-30-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We also will not be making our annual trip over to TB next week to see the Sox and Rays. I will not spend one cent of my retirement income to watch a team playing like a bunch of clowns.
You show those Rays how ticked off at the Sox you are!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM
WSI Personality

even if the organization decided to go public, do you really think you'd get a straight answer?

It just very well may be that organization doesnt have a clue as to how to fix this
Old 06-30-2013, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
You show those Rays how ticked off at the Sox you are!
Does not the visiting team get some part of the gate receipts any more?

The larger picture is how many fans up there in Chicago feel the same way?
If I was a season ticket customer I would be demanding my money back (never happen) and would sure as hell cancel for next year.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:34 AM
MMXXIII

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 06-30-2013, 11:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I knew you would find it funny.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I knew you would find it funny.
I guess that's a word you could use
Old 06-30-2013, 11:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I guess that's a word you could use
I'm curious what you find funny, are you happy with the 2013 White Sox and feel no changes are needed?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I'm curious what you find funny, are you happy with the 2013 White Sox and feel no changes are needed?
Yes, this season has been so awesome, I never want it to end
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

One can not be happy with the state of the team and still not feel the fans are owed and explanation by ownership. Some of the things will become self-evident as the summer plays out anyway as players are traded away and the Sox make other decisions.

Ownership owes the fans a decent chance at the playoffs. Mostly that is done by keeping the payroll at an acceptable level and not going totally cheap. Sometimes those financial decisions don't work out. When that happens the team flounders as the Sox are this year.

Post end of window teams often see this kind of thing happen. That's where the Sox are. They never managed to get back over the hump with the current core.

That's the explanation for the current status of the Sox. It's really fairly self-evident, IMO. The rest is simply emotions. No one is happy with how bad the Sox are, but JR stepping to the mic and saying so and giving a breakdown of why it happened isn't going to change that.

I am sure there are many factors for what direction the team will take later this year, into he off season and for the years to come thereafter. I doubt the Sox have a fully formed plan for how to turn this around. Too many factors have to play out yet.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-30-2013, 11:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yes, this season has been so awesome, I never want it to end
If they keep on playing like they have it will seem like it will never come to an end.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

It's amazing how spoiled people get based on mediocrity.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
One can not be happy with the state of the team and still not feel the fans are owed and explanation by ownership. Some of the things will become self-evident as the summer plays out anyway as players are traded away and the Sox make other decisions.

Ownership owes the fans a decent chance at the playoffs. Mostly that is done by keeping the payroll at an acceptable level and not going totally cheap. Sometimes those financial decisions don't work out. When that happens the team flounders as the Sox are this year.

Post end of window teams often see this kind of thing happen. That's where the Sox are. They never managed to get back over the hump with the current core.

That's the explanation for the current status of the Sox. It's really fairly self-evident, IMO. The rest is simply emotions. No one is happy with how bad the Sox are, but JR stepping to the mic and saying so and giving a breakdown of why it happened isn't going to change that.

I am sure there are many factors for what direction the team will take later this year, into he off season and for the years to come thereafter. I doubt the Sox have a fully formed plan for how to turn this around. Too many factors have to play out yet.
Someone with an intelligent opinion!

I know when I wrote my OP I was speaking from the heart but the silence form the front office has been deafening. I still feel someone needs to speak up and tell us what the plans are for the franchise. Even before this season started most of us were scratching our head when we brought only one new player to the roster in the name of Jeff Keppinger. I was wondering right there, what's the deal for the season, did they really think that adding Kepp was the difference in over-taking the Tigers.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Save that talk until after the trade deadline, once the smoke has cleared.

1. "We still think that with the talent we have, we can add pieces and compete next year." --- GMs that really want the trade-able players may think they would have to pay more in prospects for each guy. Fans, however, would be irate, knowing that the team is screwed and is in need of VAST changes.

2. "We suck, this roster sucks, and we need to blow it up." --good luck getting top value for your players.

You shut up, make your trades, get your prospects, and then after the deadline say "these moves were made to rebuild the identity of this franchise. We are tired of spinning our wheels."
Old 06-30-2013, 12:25 PM
WSI Prelate

What they need to do is explain what they intend to do to fix it.
But they may not know yet - although not uncommon for a team with past-their-prime veterans and a lack of young talent to collapse, they just weren't ready for it.