White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
What, Hahn couldn't come to an agreement with himself to send Flowers to the minors?

Does anyone on this board seriously think that Hahn's inaction would be tolerated in New York or Boston? What's happening on the South Side this season is a joke across the board.
But that Morel move this week was a very shrewd move.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Oh, I know trades are coming. But first he should have made some kind of move in May to wake up the team and then a subsequent one to start shedding obvious lost causes such as Flowers. Additionally, a backup infielder who can play shortstop should have been acquired to rest/bench Ramirez.
Quote:
Well, maybe the first move wakes up the team. Maybe the second move stops the nonsense behind the plate. Maybe the moves send a jolt through everyone that they better get their act together or they're next.

Flash back to '83. The Sox traded a popular player in Tony Bernazard when they were floundering. Julio Cruz arrives in return and provides a spark that leads to 99 victories.

My point is you make moves to address problems. You don't just sit back and do absolutely nothing for months. Hahn allowed this season to disintegrate in record time, talking repeatedly about career norms through his paralysis. It's his job to detect problems early before they turn into bigger ones. Anybody can sit back until things unravel completely and then become a junkyard dealer.
The Sox didn't trade for Cruz until June 15. At the time, their record was 28-32. At some point, LaRussa also moved Fisk to #2 in the batting order behind a guy who would finish the season with a .340 OBP and steal 77 bases. Fisk apparently thrived on seeing more fastballs. The '83 Sox also had three established starters. The 2013 Sox are pretty much missing all those pieces. There's no comparison between the two.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBSoxFan View Post
The Sox didn't trade for Cruz until June 15. At the time, their record was 28-32. At some point, LaRussa also moved Fisk to #2 in the batting order behind a guy who would finish the season with a .340 OBP and steal 77 bases. Fisk apparently thrived on seeing more fastballs. The '83 Sox also had three established starters. The 2013 Sox are pretty much missing all those pieces. There's no comparison between the two.
Uh, comparing the quality of the 2013 and 1983 teams wasn't my point. But you knew that already and mischaracterized what I wrote anyway, right? You might as well insinuate that I think Hahn should have traded for Cruz. I'll leave it up to you if he should have done it in May or June.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
What, Hahn couldn't come to an agreement with himself to send Flowers to the minors?

Does anyone on this board seriously think that Hahn's inaction would be tolerated in New York or Boston? What's happening on the South Side this season is a joke across the board.
Sure, he could have swapped Flowers for Phegley. But I fail to see how calling up a player with no MLB experience would have pulled the team out of its slide.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-28-2013, 07:25 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Sure, he could have swapped Flowers for Phegley. But I fail to see how calling up a player with no MLB experience would have pulled the team out of its slide.
Agreed, but he still should have made the move. By the end of July, hopefully Hahn is restructuring this team. One of the positions that needs improvement is catcher. If Phegley was up now and performing well, then that gives Hahn one position he can hold off on. With so many holes, why not see if you have any internal solutions before going outside and making trades.