White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
My point is you make moves to address problems. You don't just sit back and do absolutely nothing for months. Hahn allowed this season to disintegrate in record time, talking repeatedly about career norms through his paralysis. It's his job to detect problems early before they turn into bigger ones. Anybody can sit back until things unravel completely and then become a junkyard dealer.
Flip side to that is, of course, anybody can overreact at the first sign of trouble and cause a small problem to blossom into a major one. A GM's job is to walk that line.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
I wish it was August already.
Make that September 30th, why would you want to see the same crap for 1 or 2 more months?

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-27-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
What difference would that make? It's a stop gap for the enevitable. We suck. We had to find out more about Flowers. We weren't going to rent a player.
They could have "rented" Phegley once they decided ( if they have reached that decision) Flowers is not a starting MLB catcher. As the trading season opens up next month, it would help to know if Phegley is a starting MLB catcher.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Bears training camp opens on July 25.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Icon9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Congrats Conor, at least you don't have to be on the field for a while. That grim moment sets in, when fans realize that they have to watch two ****ty baseball teams, until training camp starts.
When do the Blackhawks play again?? Come back!! I need to see one Chicago sports team that understands that losing sucks. God knows the Sox don't.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
His skills haven't diminished. I actually think he just doesn't care.
I think he's trying to tank his own trade value. I'm only half-joking.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70 View Post
When do the Blackhawks play again?? Come back!! I need to see one Chicago sports team that understands that losing sucks. God knows the Sox don't.
Fire is playing better.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
WSI Personality

I wonder how long before fans will be wearing bags on their heads.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Anyone who thinks the Sox need to spend money to 'fix' this season is wrong. Make changes, sure, but not spend money on a sunk ship.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well, maybe the first move wakes up the team. Maybe the second move stops the nonsense behind the plate. Maybe the moves send a jolt through everyone that they better get their act together or they're next.

Flash back to '83. The Sox traded a popular player in Tony Bernazard when they were floundering. Julio Cruz arrives in return and provides a spark that leads to 99 victories.

My point is you make moves to address problems. You don't just sit back and do absolutely nothing for months. Hahn allowed this season to disintegrate in record time, talking repeatedly about career norms through his paralysis. It's his job to detect problems early before they turn into bigger ones. Anybody can sit back until things unravel completely and then become a junkyard dealer.
Well stated, but this season is about finally having tangible evidence that wholesale changes need to be made.
This is a dying structure that needs to be rebuilt.

There needs to be new clubhouse leadership and an infusion of young talent across the board.

A "jolt" for this roster would have possibly inspired an 83 or 84 win season, a middling draft pick, and a delay on the inevitable destruction of the roster.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well, maybe the first move wakes up the team. Maybe the second move stops the nonsense behind the plate. Maybe the moves send a jolt through everyone that they better get their act together or they're next.

Flash back to '83. The Sox traded a popular player in Tony Bernazard when they were floundering. Julio Cruz arrives in return and provides a spark that leads to 99 victories.

This is definitely a solid argument you make. Like you, I wish we would have made at least one move to the starting nine by this point to change the mix. By June, I think we have a clear idea what this team is and where they are going. They make too many mental errors on the field and have the worst offense in the American League. Both of these facts prevent the team from going on any type of prolonged winning streak. However, it does take two organizations to make trades so perhaps Hahn hasn't gotten what he is looking for yet or believes that he will get better offers deeper into July.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
I think he's trying to tank his own trade value. I'm only half-joking.
To be clear, I was joking too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

Has it ever occured to you that maybe he has tried, but other GM's don't want any of our crap...!!! Our pitching staff is young and they have enough talent there but Hahn would be foolish at this point to part with anyone except Peavy. The regulars on the other hand, don't really have any value sans Rios...!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
Has it ever occured to you that maybe he has tried, but other GM's don't want any of our crap...!!! Our pitching staff is young and they have enough talent there but Hahn would be foolish at this point to part with anyone except Peavy. The regulars on the other hand, don't really have any value sans Rios...!!!
Yeah, that's the thing. It's hard to make an astute trade in May, especially when you're dealing from a position of weakness. You've got a roster full of guys who are going bad, many of whom are high-priced. Who the hell is going to want that? On top of that, rival GMs are gonna know that you're trying to "shake 'em up," and they'll use that as leverage against you in any deal.

I'm not saying it's impossible to make a good trade in May, but it is difficult. So, I don't blame Hahn for not pulling the trigger on an in-season trade to this point.

That said, it was a quiet offseason for the Sox. Too quiet, in fact. I would not disagree with any poster who wants to criticize Hahn for his inactivity prior to the start of this season. It's clear holes at C and 3B were not adequately addressed. That, in combination with underperformance from several veterans has caused this season to swirl down the toilet quickly.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestani View Post
Has it ever occured to you that maybe he has tried, but other GM's don't want any of our crap...!!!
What, Hahn couldn't come to an agreement with himself to send Flowers to the minors?

Does anyone on this board seriously think that Hahn's inaction would be tolerated in New York or Boston? What's happening on the South Side this season is a joke across the board.