White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Garza when healthy definitely. Nobody in their right mind would compare Peavy to Nolasco, Nolasco sucks, it's just munch being munch.
I'm not saying Nolasco is better than Peavy, only that all things considered a team looking for pitching will grab Nolasco a lot faster than Peavy, unless we intend to just give him away (which we better not).
Old 06-26-2013, 03:59 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'm not saying Nolasco is better than Peavy, only that all things considered a team looking for pitching will grab Nolasco a lot faster than Peavy, unless we intend to just give him away (which we better not).
bland they may go after Nolasco sooner because of his price tag but like many marquee trade candidates they tend to last to the very end of the deadline because they are more valuable and more bidders are bidding.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkosher View Post
bland they may go after Nolasco sooner because of his price tag but like many marquee trade candidates they tend to last to the very end of the deadline because they are more valuable and more bidders are bidding.
There's only a few teams out there that 1.) need pitching badly and 2.) have the assets necessary for a guy like Peavy

While we're on the subject of aces who are injured but might get traded, lets not forget that David Price is also out there
Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
There's only a few teams out there that 1.) need pitching badly and 2.) have the assets necessary for a guy like Peavy

While we're on the subject of aces who are injured but might get traded, lets not forget that David Price is also out there
Boston and New York both need pitching. That alone raises the market as both will overpay somewhat to compete against each other.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Other competing options on the market include Bud Norris and Lucas Harell of the Astros, Scott Feldman and Travis Wood of the flubs (who are both having good years, surprisingly), all good options that won't have a high price.
Oh for goodness sakes, Harrell is Axe.
Norris is a decent 4/5 workhorse.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

A team who I think would make a great trading partner with the Sox would be the Pirates. They can use an OFer and a SS and every one can always use pitching.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Oh for goodness sakes, Harrell is Axe.
Norris is a decent 4/5 workhorse.
I think so too. That doesn't mean someone isn't going to acquire him if they only need a back end starter.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
Boston and New York both need pitching. That alone raises the market as both will overpay somewhat to compete against each other.
I'd like to see that happen, but I don't think the Yanks want to add any salary after this season. The Red Sox are one of the teams we'd be competing to get attention from (along with the Orioles and a few teams in the NL West).

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
A team who I think would make a great trading partner with the Sox would be the Pirates. They can use an OFer and a SS and every one can always use pitching.
I don't see the Pirates picking up SP salary on an arriving team that has more coming soon. Gerrit Cole just got to the bigs, and they're talking about sending him back down because there's no room for him when everyone's healthy.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't see the Pirates picking up SP salary on an arriving team that has more coming soon. Gerrit Cole just got to the bigs, and they're talking about sending him back down because there's no room for him when everyone's healthy.
I agree that the Pirates won't take salary but for me, it has more to do with their track record than anything they have in the farm system. Time and again, they have shown a reluctance to add any significant payroll to their team and I don't see that changing now. Signing Russell Martin for $7 million per year is about as spend crazy as they have ever gotten. However, adding a Jake Peavy to their team would be a statement that they might finally be serious about going for a division title. I just don't see it happening.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I agree that the Pirates won't take salary but for me, it has more to do with their track record than anything they have in the farm system. Time and again, they have shown a reluctance to add any significant payroll to their team and I don't see that changing now. Signing Russell Martin for $7 million per year is about as spend crazy as they have ever gotten. However, adding a Jake Peavy to their team would be a statement that they might finally be serious about going for a division title. I just don't see it happening.
I don't know, if you're gonna open up a rotation spot, it's gotta be for Cole, right? He's likely to be better than Peavy down the stretch. I get what you're saying about making a splash, I just don't think rotation is where it'll be.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Banned

In relevant news: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...-possible.html

Looks like Marlins are gonna pick up all of Nolasco's salary too.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Everyone talking about the Ethier pick up potential. The Dodgers OF is kind of crowded now that Kemp is back and Puig playing so well. They have Crawford that will eventually be back soon as well.

Not to mention that there has been a butting of heads with Ethier and management.

Also, Dee Gordon is looking more of a failed prospect with what he's done in the bigs so far. The Dodgers currently have a need at SS/3B depending on where they want Hanley Ramirez to play.

I don't know diddly poo about their prospects, but anything we can get will be better than what we currently have, as long as we get market value for Peavy and Crain...Ramirez has been rather crappy this season offensively and defensively. This is also a guy that hasn't been paying much attention to the season this year, so my comments might be a bit off.

YOUR 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Banned

The other big starter out there is Yovani Gallardo
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
How many Peavy comparable options are there? Honest question. I'll give you Garza, but not Nolasco.
You are right on the money. Garza is not anywhere the pitcher Peavy is and Nolasco please give me a break. Peavy is a #1 Garza a 2 or 3 and Nolasco a 5 at best. I for one hope the Sox keep Peavy and see where they are next year and go from there.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM
WSI Personality

Icon15

Quote:
I don't know, if you're gonna open up a rotation spot, it's gotta be for Cole, right? He's likely to be better than Peavy down the stretch. I get what you're saying about making a splash, I just don't think rotation is where it'll be.
I know your kidding right? There is no way Cole is a better pitcher down the stretch or any other time than a proven number 1 starter in Peavy. Cole is a rookie with no MLB track record. Cole might be better in the long run; but in the heat of a pennant no way.