White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 12:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
By any measure? He's still one of best second basemen with the glove, I don't care what you think about this play.
He really isn't. This is just smoke n mirrors from Beckham apologists. He does one thing exceptionally well, and that's turn the double play. Otherwise, he has no range.

Do Smoak and Salty have a bunch of apologists too? I really don't know. They should start a band called Failed Prospects. DLS on vocals.

Reed probably never thought to call him off because it was a routine play. His reaction when Beckham trips over him is priceless. "What the hell are you doing here?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Reed should have called him off, but a second baseman has no business trying to play a ball in front of the mound on the 3rd base side. That's just a bad player trying to do too much. Beckham said it was stupid. DJ blasted him. Hell, even Hawk was pissed and he's the biggest Beckham excuse maker on the planet.
Quote:
Well, I give Beckham kudos for taking the blame, but if you're going to blame a player for stupidity it has to be Reed.
Agree with Taylor. Reed sees Gillaspie under the ball, Flowers has backed off, Reed has his back to Beckham, no one on the field , in the stands or watching on tv expected a 2nd baseman to come tearing in to catch the ball. Beckham was the stupid one in this case.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:34 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Well, I give Beckham kudos for taking the blame, but if you're going to blame a player for stupidity it has to be Reed.
Yeah, he just stood there staring up into the sky the entire time, not making any effort to either get out of the way, direct traffic, or even catch it (which would be wrong but at least he would be doing something). Complete deer in the headlights look.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Video:
Ventura says it's miscommunication.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...34974&c_id=cws
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM
2008 WSI Pick 'Em Champion

Come on Ventura I learned this my first day in Wallace Softball League Jr All-Stars. How about common sense? The guy running slowly on the FLAT GROUND has a better chance of catching the ball than a guy hauling ass over a mound of dirt! And yes Reed you have to say something too. I'm just glad Gordo didn't take somebody out there.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Reed probably never thought to call him off because it was a routine play.
The routine for a pop up in the middle of the infield is for the pitcher to get out of the way and direct the infielders. If he never thought to call him off because it was a routine play that only substantiates my side of the argument.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The routine for a pop up in the middle of the infield is for the pitcher to get out of the way and direct the infielders. If he never thought to call him off because it was a routine play that only substantiates my side of the argument.
Did you or anyone here expect to see Beckham come tearing in to try and catch this ball?
Old 06-26-2013, 02:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Worst fielding team in franchise history? What a bunch of jackasses. It's daily buffoonery.

I don't care how much Hawk blows Beckham. Beckham is not the smartest tool in the shed. That was one of the worst errors of this comedy-filled season. Sale should punch him.

How does every single person in that dugout keep his job?
The 1977 team was much worse defensively, and the 1970 team was worse defensively, despite being strong up the middle having gold glover at short and center, a former gold glover at second and Ed Herrmann doing most of the catching. This was not unlike a 1977 game, where the White Sox did something inexplicable to lose the lead in the ninth and came back to win it in the bottom of the inning. This year's team has some good defensive players making key mistakes. I don't know what has happened to Ramirez. And they have a shot at giving up as many unearned runs as the 1977 team, although the flies to right that landed 10 feet behind Zisk who seemed to be camped under them before they went for hits. Seriously, complain about the incompetence of 2013 White Sox baseball, but it doesn't approach how bad things were in the '70s, even in one of the two good years.

Overshadowed by the screw-up in the ninth, was how well the Sox played the rest of the game. They beat a hot prospect pitcher they had never seen before -- the very sort of pitcher we always hear they can never beat. Wheeler didn't get the loss he deserved, and if the bullpen hadn't kept the Sox from scoring the runner on third with less than two outs, Reed would have picked up his save. Reed's blown save holds a bit of justice, though considering he deserved a blown save in Seattle. And, really, Reed could have done a better job of directing traffic

Sale twice allowed the Mets to take the lead, getting off to a slow start in the first and giving up a home run later, but both times the Sox answered. They took the lead with good fundamental baseball, scoring two runs after getting just one hit, the leadoff single. The pitcher put runners at second and third, and the Sox scored them both with fundamental productive outs.

The Sox have been better lately at doing the fundamental things on offense they need to do to score runs.. If the defense was playing the way it's capable of playing, this team would be more reminiscent of a 1960s team than a 1970s team. But the way things worked out, Beckham screwing up the infield fly gave Sunday's goat a chance to be Tuesday's hero.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM
WSI Regular

Hawk wasn't the only one to lose it. I heard the call on the radio, and it was pretty amusing as well. Farmer made a quick expression of disgust and then didn't say much, but DJ went off for at least a couple minutes, saying that they weren't even watching major league baseball anymore. Pretty damn funny.

And he called in after on Rongey's postgame show and started ranting again.

I don't like either of them that much, but it must be painful to have to cover such pathetic play on a daily basis knowing we still have months of this to go, so I kind of feel bad for TV and radio guys in that respect.

No job is fun when the work is bad and unenjoyable.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSideMike View Post
Hawk wasn't the only one to lose it. I heard the call on the radio, and it was pretty amusing as well. Farmer made a quick expression of disgust and then didn't say much, but DJ went off for at least a couple minutes, saying that they weren't even watching major league baseball anymore. Pretty damn funny.

And he called in after on Rongey's postgame show and started ranting again.

I don't like either of them that much, but it must be painful to have to cover such pathetic play on a daily basis knowing we still have months of this to go, so I kind of feel bad for TV and radio guys in that respect.

No job is fun when the work is bad and unenjoyable.
That play in the 9th last night and Alexei's muffed grounder in the 8th in KC is deserving of any and all ridicule our broadcasters can dish out.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
Did you or anyone here expect to see Beckham come tearing in to try and catch this ball?
No not really.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Seriously, complain about the incompetence of 2013 White Sox baseball, but it doesn't approach how bad things were in the '70s, even in one of the two good years.
From my perspective that may or not may not be the case as I didn't see those teams, but for me this definitely in the running for the worst Sox team I've ever seen and the first Sox I remember was '81 or '82. Not sure, but they were still wearing Navy and Harold was the man as far as I was concerned.