White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 09:41 PM
WSI Prelate

No need to rush any prospect; not sure it's worth it to start the arb clock, use an option, etc. unless we know they're ready.

And it just sucks to lose another game on errors with more bad managing as the coup de grace. This playing for one run business, and fear of them scoring 1 run is a losing philosophy.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
WSI High Priest

In my eyes, there are few things more demoralizing than having an unreliable closer blow games you can win. If somebody wants to make a huge offer for Reed in the offseason, or even this season, then I would be okay with trading him, but I think he is important to hang onto. I don't think the White Sox should force any deals.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Of course, I'm an evil, evil Sox fan. I've yet to resign myself to the fact that the team is going to suck for five years. I actually think they could return to legitimate contention within about two years, well within the shelf life for a guy like Reed. So, someone would have to make me a great offer before I'd trade him.

Again, he's not untouchable. Just saying the offer would have to be very good. I wouldn't think twice about dealing Crain and Thornton.
I agree completely with this.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
It's always the same old crap. De Aza, Ramirez just never seem to have their heads in the game.God I miss the days when the Sox had great fielding and fundamentally sound players. This team needs a CF,LF,SS, and catcher.
They need to be taught how to approach and play the game properly. They have the talent to be so much better, but they get away with their continued silliness because they're never held accountable. Remember when Bobby Cox yanked Andruw Jones out of center field in the middle of a game when he didn't hustle? Jones got the message and went on to be one of the greatest defensive center fielders of all time.

Every game we have players who don't hustle or make mental blunders that call for a benching. But nothing ever happens. Ever. They play day after day after day. They get worse, and so does the team. Gee, I wonder why.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
I heard Buddy Bell on the Score yesterday morning saying that Johnson is ready now and compared him to Quintana last year coming from AA.
I was poring over the rosters and statistics for Charlotte and Birmingham and he stood out. After that Phegley and maybe Trayce Thompson. That's it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Lost today is how much Dylan Axelrod sucks.

Beach Balls, that's what he throws up there.

Need to find someone else down in the farm to take his sport.

These are wasted innings for perhaps someone you can actually build for the future with.
It seems Axelrod is running out of mojo. I was worried about this the second time through the league with him. It seems more teams are waiting him out and not chasing as much of his pitches out of the zone and then they tee off when he does challenge them. Axelrod hasn't been doing himself any favors by pitching up the zone lately too. When you throw 85mph, you simply cannot pitch up there. I think Axelrod has probably been pitching on borrowed time anyway. Peavy is going to claim a spot when he comes back and Santiago has been pitching well and has a much higher ceiling. I give the kid credit that he gets by on very little stuff but like you, I'm not 100% sure he is a long term solution in the rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedema View Post
I heard Buddy Bell on the Score yesterday morning saying that Johnson is ready now and compared him to Quintana last year coming from AA.
Johnson was promoted from AA Birmingham where he was doing well to AAA Charlotte yesterday. It seems like he is on the fast track to the big leagues for sure.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
It seems Axelrod is running out of mojo. I was worried about this the second time through the league with him. It seems more teams are waiting him out and not chasing as much of his pitches out of the zone and then they tee off when he does challenge them. Axelrod hasn't been doing himself any favors by pitching up the zone lately too. When you throw 85mph, you simply cannot pitch up there. I think Axelrod has probably been pitching on borrowed time anyway. Peavy is going to claim a spot when he comes back and Santiago has been pitching well and has a much higher ceiling. I give the kid credit that he gets by on very little stuff but like you, I'm not 100% sure he is a long term solution in the rotation.
Agreed, Axelrod's been a real asset this season, but this is absolutely as good of a player as he will be. And that's not a knock, the Sox have been desperately short of players like Axelrod for years; guys who can shuffle between AAA and the Majors and give the MLB team some much needed innings or at bats when called upon instead of the usual crapola the Sox have to rely upon. He's the definition of quality organizational depth; not going to be a star or even a regular starter, but a guy you can hand the ball to in a pinch and not **** your pants about it. But when Dylan Axelrod is on pace to throw 186 innings for your team in 33 starts, er, that's a problem.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Agreed, Axelrod's been a real asset this season, but this is absolutely as good of a player as he will be. And that's not a knock, the Sox have been desperately short of players like Axelrod for years; guys who can shuffle between AAA and the Majors and give the MLB team some much needed innings or at bats when called upon instead of the usual crapola the Sox have to rely upon. He's the definition of quality organizational depth; not going to be a star or even a regular starter, but a guy you can hand the ball to in a pinch and not **** your pants about it. But when Dylan Axelrod is on pace to throw 186 innings for your team in 33 starts, er, that's a problem.
Yep. On a good team, Axelrod is a #6 or #7 starter --the guy you bring up to start the second game of a doube header (or insert when two guys in the rotation go down with injuries like Floyd and Jake have). His stuff is so mediocre that when his location and command aren't pinpoint, he'll get rocked -- no margin for error. Like others have said, I give him credit for what he's done so far.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Axe has done his job this year. If we'd have had him as fifth starter in one of those years between 2000 and 2005, we'd probably have another division. We're not contenders with or without him, and when we are, that spot will be upgraded.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:05 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
They need to be taught how to approach and play the game properly. They have the talent to be so much better, but they get away with their continued silliness because they're never held accountable. Remember when Bobby Cox yanked Andruw Jones out of center field in the middle of a game when he didn't hustle? Jones got the message and went on to be one of the greatest defensive center fielders of all time.

Every game we have players who don't hustle or make mental blunders that call for a benching. But nothing ever happens. Ever. They play day after day after day. They get worse, and so does the team. Gee, I wonder why.
Who do you want them to put in? Jordan Danks? He does the same **** out on the field as De Aza and Ramirez. At least De Aza hasn't gotten picked off at second base while representing the tying run in the ninth inning yet.

You have to understand, these are not young players. Ramirez is 31 years old. De Aza is 29. He's been in pro ball for over a decade. The coaches aren't going to teach them how "to approach and play the game properly." These guys are who they are at this point. And in Ramirez's case, his skills appear to be in decline.

I'm past ready to move on from Ramirez, but at the same time I don't see another option in the organization. De Aza is a fourth outfielder on a good team.

This is not a good team, and frankly, I don't think there's a damn thing Ventura and the coaches can do about it. More starts for JorDanks, Wise or Casper Wells in the outfield isn't going to solve anything. Putting Keppinger at second and moving Beckham to shortstop will make the team even worse. I guarantee it. Ramirez may be sucking out there, but he's the only SS they've got.

It's up to the front office to fix this mess, IMO.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/