White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 6,273
Default


Still room for improvement.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 764
Default

Little Nell: I remember when that 1976 team won 10 games in a row.That team was much worse than the 2013 White Sox team. If that 1976 team won 10 games in a row, anything is possible. Looking back at that 2nd Bill Veeck era (1976-1980) 4 of his teams were worse than the 2013 White Sox. The only good team he had was the 1977 White Sox. There weren't too many tears shed when Veeck sold the team after the 1980 season. His teams were so bad here that I couldn't believe it a few years later when Veeck was voted into the MLB Hall Of Fame.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Brewski Brewski is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI
Posts: 484
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
These past two victories change nothing.

Great to see Crain continue his streak in spite of the De Aza-Rios debacle.

When Danks pinch-ran in a tie game I expected him to get picked off. He almost did. The guy isn't too bright.

Quintana is a keeper.

I hope Keppinger keeps hitting so we can dump him as soon as possible.
All points right on. Danks almost got rung up twice. He's straight line fast but not quick.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,842
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Little Nell: I remember when that 1976 team won 10 games in a row.That team was much worse than the 2013 White Sox team. If that 1976 team won 10 games in a row, anything is possible. Looking back at that 2nd Bill Veeck era (1976-1980) 4 of his teams were worse than the 2013 White Sox. The only good team he had was the 1977 White Sox. There weren't too many tears shed when Veeck sold the team after the 1980 season. His teams were so bad here that I couldn't believe it a few years later when Veeck was voted into the MLB Hall Of Fame.
That was the point of my post that any team can run off 10 in a row and what I was saying is what if they did run off 10 in a row, would it say to front office that we don't need to blow it up. I say some changes are needed but not a complete blow up. I don't want to touch the pitching staff. I say get whatever we can for guys like Alexei, Viciedo, Flowers and DeAza. Dunn is another story, who would want him, we might have to eat the last year of his contract. Next go into the free agent market starting with a replacement for PK as I think he retires at the end of the season. Next we have to pick up some free agents for other spots and hope our scouts do the job on who would help us and doesn't turn out to be another Dunn.
As far as Veeck goes, I was never a fan of his in 2 stints as a White Sox owner, he traded away some great talent for aging vets after the 59 World Series. I will always be grateful to him for saving the Sox from moving in late 1975 to Seattle but he came in with just enough money to buy the team and 2 years later free agency did him in. Let me add that the first 4 months of 1977 was the most fun time ever for me in my 60+ years of following the team.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-23-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Jurr Jurr is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,990
Default

This team winning ten in a row once the pressure is off would be a real test to Rick Hahn's intelligence. A large sample size has dictated that this team is mentally week, fundamentally unsound, and full of declining players.

We know what Kenny Williams would have done. He would have found a few more prospects to jettison for some random veteran, only to watch his mediocre ball club fall apart once games mattered again.

Good teams just have that "feel" about them. You kind of know it early. You DO NOT see a team 10 games under at the halfway point turn on a switch and become contenders.

This team has won 2 in a row. Even the Astros are capable of that (as we well know). Blow it up, and SOON.
__________________
"Guess what? I bought you a Hawk and DJ bobblehead on ebay. It even says 'Hawk' on Hawk's hat. Isn't that cool."
---My awesome father
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 AM
TomBradley72 TomBradley72 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Antioch, IL
Posts: 5,516
Default

Every team wins 60, loses 60- then the other 42 make the difference.

Yesterday was one of the "every team wins 60"- we tried to give it away with De Aza ****ing up a fly ball to right center and turning it into a triple, and Danks almost helped the Royals by getting picked off AGAIN in the late innings.

Even when we win- it's not really inspiring or great baseball-

So much dead weight/AAAA players on this roster (Wise, Wells, Jordan Danks, Flowers, De Aza, Omogrosso, Troncoso)-
__________________
TomBradley72
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/334c0314
2014 Record: 2-3
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Every team wins 60, loses 60- then the other 42 make the difference.

Yesterday was one of the "every team wins 60"- we tried to give it away with De Aza ****ing up a fly ball to right center and turning it into a triple, and Danks almost helped the Royals by getting picked off AGAIN in the late innings.

Even when we win- it's not really inspiring or great baseball-

So much dead weight/AAAA players on this roster (Wise, Wells, Jordan Danks, Flowers, De Aza, Omogrosso, Troncoso)-
I'm reluctant to say De Aza belongs on that list. He's second on the team in RBIs, and he's among the best in the American League as far as hitting with RISP. So, that part's been good. The defense and baserunning have been poor, and his strikeout totals are ridiculous.

I don't know what to think of De Aza this year, but I do think he does more good things for the team than the other stiffs on that list.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 5-7; Total: 123-97.
Next game: Aug. 30 vs. Detroit

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
kufram kufram is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Of England
Posts: 1,971
Default

I'm not a stat freak and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there have been teams in contention for a division title after being 10 games out halfway through a season.

I agree completely about what KW would have done and I'll be glad not to see that old chestnut making the call this year.

It's not impossible that after losing so many for so long that a couple of wins give a team some confidence and some more winning occurs. It's not like we've played well and lost. We've played very badly. Things can change. Now, no need for name calling or sarcasm here.... I'm not saying we will contend. I'm just saying things CAN get better. For example, I'm not sure that PK has had the last hot streak in his career.

Whatever the case I see no reason on this Earth NOT to just enjoy a win or two when we've endured so many losses.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,842
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
I'm not a stat freak and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there have been teams in contention for a division title after being 10 games out halfway through a season.

I agree completely about what KW would have done and I'll be glad not to see that old chestnut making the call this year.

It's not impossible that after losing so many for so long that a couple of wins give a team some confidence and some more winning occurs. It's not like we've played well and lost. We've played very badly. Things can change. Now, no need for name calling or sarcasm here.... I'm not saying we will contend. I'm just saying things CAN get better. For example, I'm not sure that PK has had the last hot streak in his career.

Whatever the case I see no reason on this Earth NOT to just enjoy a win or two when we've endured so many losses.
1951 NY Giants were 13 games behind the Brooklyn Dodgers in mid August and wound up in a tie for the NL pennant. Giants went on to win the playoff game with the famous Bobby Thompson "Shot heard around the world" home run.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,893
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'm reluctant to say De Aza belongs on that list. He's second on the team in RBIs, and he's among the best in the American League as far as hitting with RISP. So, that part's been good. The defense and baserunning have been poor, and his strikeout totals are ridiculous.

I don't know what to think of De Aza this year, but I do think he does more good things for the team than the other stiffs on that list.
I don't understand his poor play at all. His OBP is way down this year as well. Last year he gave us great work at lead-off.

The "awfulness" of the bottom of the roster is a big contributor to the weakness of this team. The Sox were pretty lazy with the bench last offseason (they helped themselves with the late trade for Gillespie), but the lack of just serviceable players from the AAA team is troubling.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.