White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 05:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Remember at the beginning of the season when the Sox were 4-2 to start the season? I'm just going to think about that from now on when Sox talk occurs.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I putting the blame right at the top, JR your time is up.
Nell you been around longer than me, you know it doesnt work like that. As long as pockets keep being filled, the only way hes leaving is in a meat wagon.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Nell you been around longer than me, you know it doesnt work like that. As long as pockets keep being filled, the only way hes leaving is in a meat wagon.
I can wish, can't I
Just looked at franchise indexes since JR took over in 81, when it comes to big market teams we are dead last in post season appearances, there are quite a few small market teams that have been to the playoffs more than us. We are a joke compared to the Yankees, Red Sox, Cards and Braves.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

No one thought they were gonna compete for the division, so hopefully no one is shocked and hopefully a dog **** season will bring about the kind of change you don't get after a 2nd or 3rd place season.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
I recommend you check out the article in the Sun Times about Hawk. He kinda touches on how its difficult for announcers to be as honest as they want when the team is this bad. He also says that he feels bad for some players but not all of them. Makes me think the clubhouse is probably pretty poor but that could also be attributed to the fact that we are so lousy.
There is an art to being honest without being critical, and Farmer showed glimpses of it today. In basically saying, "He was looking for a fastball and guess what he got - a fastball" I think Farmer did a nice job of giving the audience a sense of what runs through a major league pitcher's head during a game and also alluding to the fact that somewhere along the line the White Sox baseball system failed, but it was the manner in which he did it. It simply came out of his mouth - It was spontaneous. It was an oasis of "realness" in a two decade long desert of forced conversation.

It's no secret I'm not in love with Harrelson, and I'm so jaded with the guy that every sentence I hear him utter strikes me as a completely rehersed and previously thought through comment. Hell I even view his emotional outbursts as faux emotion. I'll read the Sun-Times article later, but guarantee you in will not change my mind about him. He's a shill.

No announcer would ever be as "honest as they want" because they'd be fired almost immediately in today's world (see: Piersall), but there is plenty of room to be honest without being a hatchet man (see: Stone).

Let's just hope Farmer keeps this going.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

What worries me most is that when the time comes to unload (and it's coming faster than most expected), I have little faith in Hahn & Company getting value for the assets we have. Sox recent track record with acquiring prospects is dismal.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sun-Times Headline - "Hawk Harrelson says White Sox’ season has been ‘hell on me’"

Some books can be judged by their cover, and some stories can be judged by their headline. I frankly don't care how "tough" everything is on Ken Harrelson, because - in the balance - it's not all that "tough" on him.

The guy gets paid a decent buck to announce White Sox games (unfortunately), and he's saying he "can't be as honest as he wants"? OK then folks, if Mr. Muzzled Truth Teller is so very torn up about not being able to verbalize that which he is thinking, why did he - on four separate occasions during yesterday's game - call the three singles in a row off of Sale "the softest singles you're ever going to see."? I watched the game too Harrelson, and they didn't appear particularly soft to me.

Nope - obviously Ken is so forced to keep the truth quiet he needs to speak in tangential manners to make excuse for the fact that Sale did not have a good outing.

Here's an idea Ken - just say, "This is not a good outing by Chris Sale."
Old 06-20-2013, 06:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Danks is setting records in abject arson.
Put him in the pen when Peavy comes back, please. Santiago is better, as many of us have suggested.

The good news in unloading is that there aren't that many teams looking to unload (maybe 7,although there are probably 5 others willing to listen) and Peavy will easily be the best pitcher unloaded (unless the Phils decide to trade Lee). We cannot blow this.
Don't be afraid to take AA and A high ceiling players, over flawed and stunted AAA players (that we've taken recently). And we have to be willing to pick up salary.
I just wish we had more to trade.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
and hopefully a dog **** season will bring about the kind of change you don't get after a 2nd or 3rd place season.
You are so right. I agree 100%.... when are competing with the Astros for last in the AL, there is no where to run, no where to hide for those who have a hand in putting the Sox in this predicament.

It will be interesting to see what the Sox do about the manager position.. they very well may feel like the talent is there on the current roster.. in the form of DeAza, Viciedo, Ramirez, Flowers, Gillespie and Keppinger... with Sale, Santiago, and Alxerod, Reed on the pitching side.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

I heard Farmer and then Rongey talk a lot about how Danks was missing his spots, as if he starts hitting his spots then everything will be okay. Part of being an effective pitcher is having good enough stuff to get away with missing your spots. Danks does not have Major League stuff right now. He's going to get hit hard in most of his outings. Why put him in the bullpen when he's going to suck there, too? Send him to the minors and bring him back up if/when he improves. Right now he's Jim Parque.

Williams does not deserve to hold any job in the organization after giving Danks $50 million.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:15 PM
WSI Regular

What sucks too is that there is over half a season left and nothing to look forward too. There is absolutely no way this team is coming back and having a respectable season.

I have season tickets and most Sox fans are just not going to the park when the team is this bad. Baseball is over at this point.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I got to see this garbage in person. At least they hit a couple of bombs, Crain got a team record aside from Danks having nothing.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:38 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
We are a joke compared to the Yankees, Red Sox, Cards and Braves.
Uh, as are the other 26 teams.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out if I'm more depressed or just damn mad about this team.
The surrender flag is fitting because I think this team has already given up.
I putting the blame right at the top, JR your time is up. A fish rots from the head. Except for 2005, your regime has been a dismal failure.
If you follow the business news, the Men's Wearhouse corporate Board of Directors fired founder and TV spokesman George Zimmer on Tuesday, so nobody stays on top forever. If any of the Sox partners are reading this, take it as a hint.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:43 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Danks is setting records in abject arson.
Put him in the pen when Peavy comes back, please. Santiago is better, as many of us have suggested.
What point would that really serve? Danks is a better pitcher than Santiago who is still recovering from shoulder surgery, he's not going to rebuild his arm coming in throwing bullpen sessions. It should be painfully clear to everyone that the Sox need not worry about results in 2013 any more.

FWIW, if he qualified with innings, coming into this start Danks would be top 5 in the AL in WHIP and #1 in K/BB. So he's not exactly getting shelled out there.