White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Ethier is junk.
I think they're all junk
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Here's my list:

Konerko to the Orioles for Jonathon Schoop

Alexei Ramirez and Jesse Crain to St. Louis for Matt Adams and Carlos Martinez

Matt Thornton & Charlie Leesman to Atlanta for Sean Gilmartin

Alex Rios to Texas for Mike Olt & Cody Buckell
or
Alex Rios to NY Yankees for Gary Sanchez, Tyler Austin

If any or all of this happened I would be thrilled.....
If any of this happened the commissioner would block it because it's obvious Rick Hahn held someone at gunpoint.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:44 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Teams are not going to pay a high price for Crain, especially when there's guys like Jose Veras available who have a very cheap option year next year and have already shown they can close. Veras won't get a high price. Crain certainly isn't. The days of rental relievers fetching value have been over for a half decade. The only reliever on our roster with high value is Reed.
Well that statement's certainly not true at all
Old 06-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well that statement's certainly not true at all
Example?

edit: I take it back. How about good value, that's really what we're talking about here. When was the last time a reliever in a walk year got traded for an A list prospect?
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Example?

edit: I take it back. How about good value, that's really what we're talking about here. When was the last time a reliever in a walk year got traded for an A list prospect?
Well now you're just moving the goalposts aroud on me, but I'd personally be happy with a B-level prospect for a guy we're going to lose this off-season anyway. I know the Sox need some top level talent, but they also need a lot of organizational depth as well. Really anything at this point helps.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Well now you're just moving the goalposts aroud on me, but I'd personally be happy with a B-level prospect for a guy we're going to lose this off-season anyway. I know the Sox need some top level talent, but they also need a lot of organizational depth as well. Really anything at this point helps.
That's fair, I honestly didn't mean to claim he was worthless, but everyone seems to be talking about marquee prospects here so I was making the statement based on that. What we'd be looking at for Crain would be a project, or a guy with some tools but not enough to be considered a good candidate for advancement.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
That's fair, I honestly didn't mean to claim he was worthless, but everyone seems to be talking about marquee prospects here so I was making the statement based on that. What we'd be looking at for Crain would be a project, or a guy with some tools but not enough to be considered a good candidate for advancement.
I don't think anyone is expecting a Mike Trout or Bryce Harper level prospect for three months of Crain or Thornton. However, there will definitely be a lot of teams calling and if a GM is "going for it" and feels that Crain is the 8th inning guy (or closer) that they need to win it all, they may have to part with a halfway decent prospect to beat out the other teams for him. Hahn has all the leverage here and can take the best offer that comes his way from what is sure to be a host of contending clubs.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I'd be happy with getting a body back in return if it meant not having to watch majority of our players struggle to play baseball at a respectable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
I don't think anyone is expecting a Mike Trout or Bryce Harper level prospect for three months of Crain or Thornton. However, there will definitely be a lot of teams calling and if a GM is "going for it" and feels that Crain is the 8th inning guy (or closer) that they need to win it all, they may have to part with a halfway decent prospect to beat out the other teams for him. Hahn has all the leverage here and can take the best offer that comes his way from what is sure to be a host of contending clubs.
Hahn has leverage now, but that can quickly change (whether it be by a team's performance or by a team going out and picking up a need from elsewhere).

Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI High Priest

I don't expect a top prospect, but I would be annoyed if they didn't get one steady starter out of these guys they could sell.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If any of this happened the commissioner would block it because it's obvious Rick Hahn held someone at gunpoint.
And who is to say any of those prospects are going to great let alone average or a complete bust. For every Mike Trout their are plenty of herald prospects who end up going bust. Prospect is just like the word says. The Yankees for years sent there prospects to Kansas City for proven players and Kansas City kept finishing at the bottom of the standings. I understand that your farm players are very important; but to say if the Sox were able to get the aforementioned players would be a steal is premature at best. It might look good on paper but it only counts on the field. Winning requires skill; but also a lot of luck. I'm pretty sure no one looking at the Sox's 2005 roster thought they were headed for the World Series. The Sox need to upgrade their defense CF, 1B, SS, and Catcher. Hopefully they hold on to most of the pitching and are able to acquire players in trades and the off season to be able to compete.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM
WSI High Priest

I just listened to the Score talk about how if this team gets gutted noone will come to the ballpark. I don't believe that. I don't think attendance would go up, but I think people would still come out for a team that isn't paying a ton of money to lose as much as they are.

I'm not sure who the Sox should target. Hitting definitely needs to be improved. It seems like the toughest place to get a hitter in free agency these days is 3B. It'd be nice to see them upgrade that position young and build around it.

I personally could live without Peavy, Thornton, Floyd, Crain, Konerko, Rios, Dunn. That's the majority of money there. There's not much I'd say is necessary to keep. Sale, Quintana, and Ramirez if you can. Save some money and get that power position player after some younger talent is developed. Build a defensive team with good pitching and move on. Bring in the big money players when the supporting cast is assembled.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I just listened to the Score talk about how if this team gets gutted noone will come to the ballpark. I don't believe that. I don't think attendance would go up, but I think people would still come out for a team that isn't paying a ton of money to lose as much as they are.

I'm not sure who the Sox should target. Hitting definitely needs to be improved. It seems like the toughest place to get a hitter in free agency these days is 3B. It'd be nice to see them upgrade that position young and build around it.

I personally could live without Peavy, Thornton, Floyd, Crain, Konerko, Rios, Dunn. That's the majority of money there. There's not much I'd say is necessary to keep. Sale, Quintana, and Ramirez if you can. Save some money and get that power position player after some younger talent is developed. Build a defensive team with good pitching and move on. Bring in the big money players when the supporting cast is assembled.
Despite his current struggles at the plate and his occasional defensive gaffes, I think Ramirez still could have some value in a trade. He's owed about $20 million in the next two seasons, and I think the Sox could be better off dealing him.

If there are any pluses for the Sox in the long-term, it's that we don't have (m)any bad long-term deals. Just $75 million on the books in 2014 and $36 million in 2015. The Sox may not have a lot of young talent, but they do have quite a bit of flexibility for the future.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The Orioles need starting pitching badly. If Peavy comes back before the deadline (doubtful but possible), we might be able to get an injured Dylan Bundy, or if we're lucky a Kevin Gausman (Peavy would need to be back early and pitching lights out).

Unless we're willing to trade a young stud (like Sale or Reed), there really isn't an obvious match to a team with prospects worth mentioning. At least not yet. Our only other chip (Rios) is more expensive than guys who are likely to be out there at the deadline, which hurts our chances of dealing him for anything but pennies on the dollar.
The Orioles aren't moving Bundy, injured or not. And certainly not for Peavy. I love Peavy, but you fire management if you move Bundy for Peavy right now.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 AM
WSI Personality

The LA media seems to think the Angels are going to trade either Mark Trumbo or Peter Bourjos for some pitching. Either of these guys would look good in a White Sox uniform. The LA media claims the Angels have absolutely nothing in their farm system to help their pitching staff. They seem to think the Angels have a glut of outfielders and are going to move at least one of them.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
The LA media seems to think the Angels are going to trade either Mark Trumbo or Peter Bourjos for some pitching. Either of these guys would look good in a White Sox uniform. The LA media claims the Angels have absolutely nothing in their farm system to help their pitching staff. They seem to think the Angels have a glut of outfielders and are going to move at least one of them.
Trumbo would look great in a White Sox uniform but they aren't just going to give a guy like that away. It could take a package of players to make that happen. Still, he would definitely be a nice middle of the order run producer in his prime. I love the glove and speed of Bourjos but he is unproven as an everyday player and I would consider him more of a project.