White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Last I tuned in, Hawk was still able to string together a coherent sentence and remembers how to enunciate words, so I'm going to answer no to the OP.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
He absolutely is.

Lip
And don't forget Mike Mulligan and John Kass.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

I dearly loved watching Sox games with my old man. But when they were losing, it was hard being in the same house with him, much less the same room. This is not an exaggeration. He would've been the darkest of the dark clouds these days.

Listening to Hawk when they're losing is the same, and it's a good reason to turn them off. Time is getting short for him to make a graceful exit. When he's gone, I'll probably miss him, but not as often as I miss the old man.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Hawk Harrelson says White Sox’ season has been ‘hell on me’

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseb...ell-on-me.html
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM
WSI Personality

In the article, Hawk said, "it's been horse**** baseball". Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI Personality

1) Hawk compares this season to the 2007 White Sox season. I agree that this has been the worse team we've had since 2007. The difference is in 2007 the White Sox had numerous injuries and the year went down the tubes. With some moves in the off season and a healthy team in 2008, the White Sox were back in the playoffs in 2008. We can't blame injuries this season. Does any body really think this team (if all the players are brought back) is good enough to be in the playoffs in 2014? The White Sox are going to have to make some major moves in the off season to contend in 2014.
2) Todays article in the Sun Times points out the difference between Hawk and Ron/Pizza Man/Scab/Santo. The Hawk was honest in his criticism of the 2013 White Sox team. Santo was a notorious houseman for the Cubs his entire career. (as a player and a radio announcer) He would of NEVER criticised the Cubs team the way Hawk did today. Santo was nothing but a big mouth crybaby who was notorious playing the blame game.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
I've always liked Hawk, but this really should be his final season. Beyond his comical reactions, which have turned into spectacles, he's regularly making mistakes about number of outs, score, etc. The organization should not allow an old man to embarrass himself.
Yes.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
1) Hawk compares this season to the 2007 White Sox season. I agree that this has been the worse team we've had since 2007. The difference is in 2007 the White Sox had numerous injuries and the year went down the tubes. With some moves in the off season and a healthy team in 2008, the White Sox were back in the playoffs in 2008. We can't blame injuries this season. Does any body really think this team (if all the players are brought back) is good enough to be in the playoffs in 2014? The White Sox are going to have to make some major moves in the off season to contend in 2014.
2) Todays article in the Sun Times points out the difference between Hawk and Ron/Pizza Man/Scab/Santo. The Hawk was honest in his criticism of the 2013 White Sox team. Santo was a notorious houseman for the Cubs his entire career. (as a player and a radio announcer) He would of NEVER criticised the Cubs team the way Hawk did today. Santo was nothing but a big mouth crybaby who was notorious playing the blame game.

I wouldn't blame injuries, but that's just not true. We've played with the 2,3,4 pitchers all sidelined at some point for extended periods. Konerko, Viciedo and Dunn have all been playing with back issues and Beckham was out for an extended period. This team sucks regardless, but injuries have been a problem. There isn't a team in baseball that contends while losing 3/5ths of their rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulTerritory View Post
Its the game that is supposed to be "entertaining," not the announcer.
I guess you wouldn't have liked Rosey Rowswell. Where is the rule that says baseball announcers have to be bland and boring. That is exactly what most of them are today. There should be room for a variety of styles. I like the timeless excellence of a Vin Scully, and the unabashed homerism of Bob Prince, Jack Brickhouse and the vintage Harry Caray.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI Prelate

I can't blame Hawk. If I had to watch this crap day in and day out so I could earn my next paycheck, it would probably break me too.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I guess you wouldn't have liked Rosey Rowswell. Where is the rule that says baseball announcers have to be bland and boring. That is exactly what most of them are today. There should be room for a variety of styles. I like the timeless excellence of a Vin Scully, and the unabashed homerism of Bob Prince, Jack Brickhouse and the vintage Harry Caray.
That's one of the things I was thinking about. When Hawk retires, I don't want to get someone who has the bland broadcast school voice who you cannot differentiate from anyone else.

BTW, I did like his "horse(bleep) baseball" comment in the Sun-Times. Just skimmed the article, but that stood out.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

In the article Hawk said he feels sorry for some of the players, I wonder which ones he doesn't feel sorry for? My guess is that Alexei would be at the top of that list followed by Dunn, DeAza and Flowers.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM
WSI Regular

Newsflash, Hawk still sucks. The days are long gone when talking about golf and Stan Musial or whomever are enlightening or entertaining to anyone except retiree's and Hawk himself. I still only learned where Stone Poney comes from the other day. I had been holding out googling it because I didn't want to give that old fart the satisfaction.

And it's not just Hawk. The Robin hiring has not come without it's fair share of boneheaded calls from the dugout. Does anyone really believe that hiring a manager who has never coached a game beyond high school (right after you fire a guy like Ozzie, who left much to be desired to put it lightly), running out a team like this day in-day out, and having Hawk Harrelson as your play by play guy will not have a negative impact on this organization for years to come? All this affects what free agent's are willing to sign here, the amount of money we have to spend on players, and the fan perception of the Sox around the country. This organization needs to stop kidding themselves and fooling it's fans with the nepotism and overall ineptitude. It's time to replace Hawk and I don't care or know who would be best suited for the job. Anyone will be better than this guy, and debating that is pointless.

I consider myself a die-hard Sox fan, but I'm not a fool. This organization stinks right now. I hope to see a big shake-up and look forward to seeing the minor league guys work their way up.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM
WSI Regular

I feel bad for Hawk ungracefully succumbing to the realities of aging. "Silence is the great communicator"? Thanks for treating all us fans to your special brand of silence, Hawk.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Stanley - I doubt there's ever been a bigger critic of Ken Harrelson than me, but I don't believe aging is his issue.

Constant self-promotion and contrived emotion is his issue.