White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the Sporting News ROTY award, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the season lost already?
Yes 176 95.14%
No 6 3.24%
No, because I can still get churros at the ballpark. 3 1.62%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2013, 10:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

The season was over before it started. The team stinks. They can't hit, run (they turn doubles into singles and don't know how to run the bases) or field. Besides that they are average.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:47 PM
WSI Personality

The Sox took a huge risk letting Aj go and gambling on Flowers being a quality everyday #1. It hasn't worked out. The other risk was hoping they could repeat 2012, and that hasnt worked out either. Bottom line, the Sox blew a lead down the stretch in 2012. It was not a successful season and things needed o b addressed but weren't, so we shouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 AM
WSI Regular

I hate piling on, but this has been coming for a long time. KW stumbled onto a WS win (thank you very much) and inadvertently convinced JR that he could be trusted with the keys to the car. Bad player, bad GM...gee, we better promote him to VP.

The 900 pound gorilla is one Robin Ventura. You simply do not put a major league baseball team in the hands of a man who has never so much as coached a little league team. If he had, I'd argue the Sox would have made the playoffs last year.

I loved him as a player. He is a decent man. He is giving his all. He is simply in over his head.

The unfortunate reality is that, JR makes money even when the Sox suck....even when attendance sucks. There is no real incentive to improve except pride. Apparently, loyalty rates higher.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegraz View Post
I hate piling on, but this has been coming for a long time. KW stumbled onto a WS win (thank you very much) and inadvertently convinced JR that he could be trusted with the keys to the car. Bad player, bad GM...gee, we better promote him to VP.

The 900 pound gorilla is one Robin Ventura. You simply do not put a major league baseball team in the hands of a man who has never so much as coached a little league team. If he had, I'd argue the Sox would have made the playoffs last year.

I loved him as a player. He is a decent man. He is giving his all. He is simply in over his head.

The unfortunate reality is that, JR makes money even when the Sox suck....even when attendance sucks. There is no real incentive to improve except pride. Apparently, loyalty rates higher.
I don't know if I could blame Robin for this mess. Sure has little experience but now he has a year under his belt. What he has is a team that can't hit and that are station to station. That is a bad combo when they are not hitting HRs. As for AJ, they were going to lose with him and/or without him. Maybe they wouldn't lose as badly tho. The only good about Kenny is that he tries to win. Sure he gets pantsed a few times on trades but he tried. Over all he has been ok, no GM is perfect on moves especially when the money is tight. All the scouts should have been years ago, these guys blow big time.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Location: In the water barrel off the now-finished Borman Expressway

The season is lost because frankly, it looks like this team has no soul. I think you can count on one hand the number of times we've had a come-from-behind win, because there's no one stepping up to rally the team when they're down.

Hate to pin it all on one move, but not resigning AJ in the off-season was big. In-season, though he was the #9 hitter, losing Beckham for nearly two months was big as well.

We're going to hang around for a while only because the division as a whole sucks. But, as someone mentioned, the schedule gets a lot tougher starting at the end of the month, and we have yet to play Detroit.

Obligatory 2014 attendance record: 1-1

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

JACK....IS....BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 AM
WSI Prelate

This analogy isn't perfect, but it's a useful illustration: This Sox team is roughly where the 87/88 Sox are.

Sale is McDowell. Beckham may finally be developing into a solid infield leader and hitter like Ventura. Reed is Thigpen. Carlos Sanchez, down on the farm, could be another young all-glove, zero power shortstop like Ozzie. Quintana and Santiago could be like Greg Hibbard and Eric King. Nate Jones could be Scott Radinsky.

Rios, Crain and Alexei might together net us in quantity the equivalent of what we got in quality for Harold Baines. Perhaps out of the prospects we acquire we nab a catcher or center fielder and a reliever who contribute next year. And we'll get salary relief from Paulie and Floyd's expiring contracts, which can be used to sign two stopgap outfielders and a catcher.

No, we haven't just drafted another Frank Thomas. But maybe we get a really solid hitter with our 2014 first round draft pick, and, after a lousy 2014, we draft the next Alex Fernandez in 2015.

By not trading away our young starting pitching, we could be rebounding by 2015 and competing by 2016.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM
WSI High Priest

The season is a lost cause.

I think it is interesting that for the fast fifteen years, the Sox have had two slow, lumbering first baseman/DH types, Such as Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko, Konerko and Jim Thome, or Konerko and Adam Dunn. The year the Sox won it all, Thomas was injured through most of the season.

The Sox need to develop their own players. I don't believe there is such a thing a Magic Bullet trade that turns a team into a contender for the last two months, or signing a high priced free agent will turn a team into an instant contender.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

I'm of the opinion that the goal should be salary dumps. If you can unload any of Rios/Dunn/Danks/Ramirez/Crain/Peavy/Thornton/Keppinger salaries even if it means nothing but D+ prospects, do it. Call up the Angel front office. They don't seem to mind taking on bad contracts (Vernon Wells, anyone?). I wouldn't even consider the return because I can't imagine it would be much with any of those guys. Shoot for some lottery tickets in the low minors. Refrain from resigning any expiring contracts (bye PK ). Keep Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Reed unless you are blown away by an offer, and start the offseason with a clean slate. I'd like to see the type of team that Hahn can build from scratch. The team will suck for a couple years, but I can't imagine they will suck any worse than if they try fielding a team with all of the guys mentioned above.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM
WSI Personality

A number of people seem to think the White Sox should trade their pitching for some hitters. If you trade any of the White Sox pitchers, who would do the pitching?. Pitching is harder to obtain than hitting. I still think the easiest way to contend is to keep the core of this pitching staff and then acquire some hitters in the free agent market this off season. Also the Dodgers have a glut of outfielders who they are willing to move. (Kemp and Ethier) I'm under the impression that their days in LA are coming to an end. Supposedly the Dodgers are even willing to pick up most of the money owed them. If we can acquire those guys for next to nothing plus have LA pick up the money, they would be an upgrade over our outfielders. (The Tank and DeAza.)
Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakath View Post
The season is lost because frankly, it looks like this team has no soul.
No, they just display no talent.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
A number of people seem to think the White Sox should trade their pitching for some hitters. If you trade any of the White Sox pitchers, who would do the pitching?. Pitching is harder to obtain than hitting. I still think the easiest way to contend is to keep the core of this pitching staff and then acquire some hitters in the free agent market this off season. Also the Dodgers have a glut of outfielders who they are willing to move. (Kemp and Ethier) I'm under the impression that their days in LA are coming to an end. Supposedly the Dodgers are even willing to pick up most of the money owed them. If we can acquire those guys for next to nothing plus have LA pick up the money, they would be an upgrade over our outfielders. (The Tank and DeAza.)
You have to trade from strength to get anything good back. Peavy is the obvious guy, if he can come back. Quintana could net a B level prospect.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM
WSI High Priest

117-2-2. Not much disagreement on this question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Of course it's a lost season. I'm 46 and this is the hardest Sox team to watch in my lifetime. Atrocious hitting, terrible fielding and daily blunders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This analogy isn't perfect, but it's a useful illustration: This Sox team is roughly where the 87/88 Sox are.

Sale is McDowell. Beckham may finally be developing into a solid infield leader and hitter like Ventura. Reed is Thigpen. Carlos Sanchez, down on the farm, could be another young all-glove, zero power shortstop like Ozzie. Quintana and Santiago could be like Greg Hibbard and Eric King. Nate Jones could be Scott Radinsky.

Rios, Crain and Alexei might together net us in quantity the equivalent of what we got in quality for Harold Baines. Perhaps out of the prospects we acquire we nab a catcher or center fielder and a reliever who contribute next year. And we'll get salary relief from Paulie and Floyd's expiring contracts, which can be used to sign two stopgap outfielders and a catcher.

No, we haven't just drafted another Frank Thomas. But maybe we get a really solid hitter with our 2014 first round draft pick, and, after a lousy 2014, we draft the next Alex Fernandez in 2015.

By not trading away our young starting pitching, we could be rebounding by 2015 and competing by 2016.
I've said it before in other threads, but this is the least interesting Sox team for me since the 1986-88 era when the Sox wore the Campbell Soup C/Einhorn E caps and ownership was planning for St. Petersburg.

1989's team was fun to watch because you could see the young talent come together. Even when the Sox fielded lousy teams in the late 90s, at least they had a young talented core in Konerko, Lee, and Ordonez.

I know fortunes in baseball can sometimes turn around quickly in a few short seasons, but based on the lack of enough young talent expected to arrive any time soon, I think we're in for a lot more disappointment for the foreseeable future.

At least Sale and Reed have been worthwhile to watch. Quintana and Santiago too. But this offense and defense are just dreadful.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:44 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
You have to trade from strength to get anything good back. Peavy is the obvious guy, if he can come back. Quintana could net a B level prospect.
I wouldn't have a problem trading Peavy. I don't have confidence he'll make it through a season without injury. I'd hold onto Quintana and Santiago though. The B prospect you speak of probably won't help the team any more than Quintana himself.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Yes- its a lost cause- and it's time to suck it up and rebuild.

Unfortunately- we are still saddled with very expensive 2104 contracts for our veterans- Dunn, Rios, Ramirez, Peavy.

Help in the minors? From the "Top 20" prospects from the White Sox website- very little help on the way for position players- a few good arms on the pitching side.

Other than Josh Phegley- there's no one at AA or AAA to get excited about. We're as bad as the Marlins or the Astros at the major league level- but without the youth/prospects.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Trading Quintana for a b level prospect was certainly the strangest post of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).