White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the season lost already?
Yes 176 95.14%
No 6 3.24%
No, because I can still get churros at the ballpark. 3 1.62%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am with Little Nell. This could be the start of a few lost seasons. Unless something dramatic happens in the off season, there can be little hope for 2014 and maybe beyond. And many fans, including myself, have little faith that this organization can turn things around soon.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I never completely give up hope until at least mid August unless the team is 15-20 back earlier than that. However, even a diehard optimist like me isn't finding much reason for hope this year. It's been a brutal first 2.5 months with no real reason to feel things will change. I'm not even watching the games all the time these days, opting for other forms of entertainment more often. Maybe I'll buy a Giants cap. I need a local team to root for and they are safe being a NL club and what the heck they are pretty good recently...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Define "lost."

It'll give us a great opportunity to give us a top ten, maybe top five, pick in the draft next year.

All hail The Rick
Old 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I never completely give up hope until at least mid August unless the team is 15-20 back earlier than that. However, even a diehard optimist like me isn't finding much reason for hope this year. It's been a brutal first 2.5 months with no real reason to feel things will change. I'm not even watching the games all the time these days, opting for other forms of entertainment more often. Maybe I'll buy a Giants cap. I need a local team to root for and they are safe being a NL club and what the heck they are pretty good recently...
I don't know if I could root for the Giants, but I do like Buster Posey.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
It absolutely is a lost season because these stiffs show no signs of improvement.

It's now the middle of June, they have played 65 games. The offense is till putrid, the defense is worse and the stupid, mental blunders continue.

Some of these guys have been playing poorly for years, why should I think that 'suddenly' the light switch is going to come on and they are going to be something completely different from what they have been showing me?

Also from a totally bizarre perspective remember this is an 'odd' year. The Sox haven't had even a winning season in an odd year since 2005.

2007- losing season
2009 - losing season
2011 - losing season

Looks like the 'trend" is going to continue.

Lip
Hate to agree,but the proof is in the stats.Good pitching+horrible defense+god awful offense= HERE COME THE HAWKS!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is a bad team. There's no way around it. I'm not sure what a lost season is though. There's a few reasons to watch. Can Beckham continue to turn it around? Can Flowers develop? The bat is coming around at least. I like our pitching. Can they get anything for the few assets they do have? I'll continue to watch because I'm a fan. I'll continue to stay optimistic because, for some reason, that's the type of Sox fan I am. Maybe it's a coping mechanism. I'll do my best not to cry on the internet. Nevertheless, this is a bad team, but all is not lost.

I'm not big of the "fire everyone" fan reaction. Though, there does need to be some accountability for stupid baseball. This is just a strange sport. It's the one team sport where "trying harder" can legitimately be detrimental. Hitters lose patience, swing at bad pitches and over-swing and ruin their mechanics. Fielders go for the home run and miss the cut off man. Pitchers over-throw, lose control and blow their elbows out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-16-2013, 06:21 PM
WSI Personality

Anybody who thinks this season isn't lost is absolutely dreaming. I still have to be positive about the future. I've always been good at spending other peoples money so here is what I'm hoping for. I'm thinking the White Sox won't have the salaries of Floyd, Konerko and Thornton next year. I 'm also thinking that Dunn and the Tank won't be on the team in 2014. I'm hoping JR opens up his checkbook for the following 3 free agents: Jacob Ellsbury, Brian McCann and most of all Kendrys Morales. Just adding these 3 players on this team will put us back in contention next year. Our pitching is good enough for the White Sox to contend next year. Rather than trade any of our pitchers, wouldn't it be easier to sign the 3 players I just mentioned?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I'm hoping JR opens up his checkbook for the following 3 free agents: Jacob Ellsbury, Brian McCann and most of all Kendrys Morales. Just adding these 3 players on this team will put us back in contention next year. Our pitching is good enough for the White Sox to contend next year. Rather than trade any of our pitchers, wouldn't it be easier to sign the 3 players I just mentioned?
Considering the past and the Sox lack of FA signings I doubt they would do this. If for some reason they would change their philosophy, would these players want to come to Sox? Would the Sox have to to overpay? I think they would and even then, would they want to come here?
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Considering the past and the Sox lack of FA signings I doubt they would do this. If for some reason they would change their philosophy, would these players want to come to Sox? Would the Sox have to to overpay? I think they would and even then, would they want to come here?
If the money is right, anybody will go anywhere.
If JR doesn't open up the checkbook USCF is going to be a ghost town for awhile.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post

First paying big money for FAs and then grossly overpaying, that is only a dream.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
If JR doesn't open up the checkbook USCF is going to be a ghost town for awhile.

And he wont pay rent and he'll make money, he always does.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:57 PM
WSI Personality

I saw a few posters asking for the definition of "lost". My definition of "lost" is not making the playoffs and that was my original intention with this thread.

Anticipated next game: Unknown
Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

The real shame about this season is that there is no general plan on what is next. This team needs to absolutely be going full out to acquire prospects for rebuilding, yet we are just seeing more of the same.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Opening up the check book is what got this team into the mess it is in. I'm all for paying players, but it needs to be done correctly. No more ****ing Adam Dunn's.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobears1987 View Post
Opening up the check book is what got this team into the mess it is in. I'm all for paying players, but it needs to be done correctly. No more ****ing Adam Dunn's.
Most analysts and fans thought the Dunn signing was great at the time. It just hasn't worked out.