White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Banned

I didn't watch last night's game, but when I read the headline about how it happened I wasn't shocked in the least.

This is the worst team in baseball. I've said it for months. Yeah, when they're hot they can beat anyone. When anyone's hot they can beat anyone. The other 95% of the time we win at a .300 clip.

This team and system is in terrible shape. No amount of free agent spending and trades will make this team better. It's time to realize the fact that we're 5 years+ away from building another winner. No one should be untouchable. Not even Sale.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM
WSI Guru

Tragg:

I disagree with your point about not pitching young pitchers 100+ innings right now.

With this brain-dead, non contending club, it is exactly the time to do that.

The pressure is abated somewhat, nobody cares really how the young pitchers do ultimately because the club is a joke. These are the circumstances for them to get their feet wet, start learning how to pitch at the big league level and have a more complete understanding of the game.

I'd rather them learn and make mistakes now rather than four years from now guys get called up in September in the middle of a pennant race and don't know what to do.

Lip
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

I think they should hang on to Rios until the offseason. He still has a year left on his deal, unless the team option is used. Plus, we might have to think about not being a .200 team for the rest of the year. Rios might be a little more enticing if the other team isn't on the hook for two years. Crain might be the only guy who can get us someone unless Rick gets really creative.

Last edited by SoxSpeed22; 06-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Yep. Everyone in the lineup owes Sale dinner.
And he'll eat all nine of them in one day probably from what we've heard about his food intake routine.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
I think they should hang on to Rios until the offseason. He still has a year left on his deal, unless the team option is used. Plus, we might have to think about not being a .200 team for the rest of the year. Rios might be a little more enticing if the other team isn't on the hook for two years. Crain might be the only guy who can get us someone unless Rick gets really creative.
If we sell, we'd prefer to be a .200 team the rest of the way. Better pick.

I know people hate talking like that, but if you sell you're essentially giving up anyway.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Yep. Everyone in the lineup owes Sale dinner.
And by the looks of him, he could use all those dinners.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

I know people hate talking like that, but if you sell you're essentially giving up anyway.
There is really no reason not to give up. Hope only goes so far.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I thought it was hilarious when Hawk started whining that the first Alexei error should have been a hit, but after the 2nd error the whining was that TWO unearned runs had scored on Sale and at the end of the game "nothing even close to an earned run scored."

If the scorer had changed the first error to a hit, then only one unearned run would have scored while the first run would have been earned.

Who ya crappin, Hawk?!???!
After re-visiting the box score this morning, I think I was wrong last night. Even if Cedeno gets on cleanly with a hit to lead off the inning, his run would have scored on Alexei's throwing error which should have been the third out, so I believe both runs would have been unearned even if Alexei was only charged with one error. I think. I need TDog or some other scoring wiz to verify that.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

Has it not been proven though that the difference between the 2nd pick and the 10th pick is really very small? This is not the NBA draft in terms of being able to forecast talent.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Has it not been proven though that the difference between the 2nd pick and the 10th pick is really very small? This is not the NBA draft in terms of being able to forecast talent.
When teams draft based on bonus size? Yes.

But the top talent in the draft is almost always a better bet. It's just a lot of times it went to the Tigers, or the Red Sox, or the Yankees way down in the draft. For instance, after the top three in this years draft, there was a huge drop. Not in ceiling, but in probability. If you're asking scouts which guys are the best bet to be stars, those are the three names that come up.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:51 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
After re-visiting the box score this morning, I think I was wrong last night. Even if Cedeno gets on cleanly with a hit to lead off the inning, his run would have scored on Alexei's throwing error which should have been the third out, so I believe both runs would have been unearned even if Alexei was only charged with one error. I think. I need TDog or some other scoring wiz to verify that.
Both runs would have been unearned even if Cedeno had been credited with an infield single. If Ramirez makes an accurate throw on the Barnes grounder, it's the third out and no runs score -- even with the first error.

Sickening loss.

When I was at the ballpark last weekend, I was looking around the diamond while the Sox were on the field. I think I saw maybe two position players I'd want back for next season.

It's really a shame because I like this pitching staff a lot. I disagree with blandman's comments about this being the "worst team in baseball." The pitching staff is too good to allow this team to become the worst in baseball. On 17 occasions this year, they've won games despite scoring four runs or fewer. The pitching has allowed them to win some 3-1, 4-3 and 2-1 type games. Take that away, and maybe they become the worst team.

I would, however, be willing to entertain the idea that the Sox have the worst lineup in baseball. This group of nine regulars is very, very poor. They put a tremendous amount of pressure on the pitchers each and every day with their inability to score runs and idiotic mistakes in the field.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Sickening loss.

...I would, however, be willing to entertain the idea that the Sox have the worst lineup in baseball. This group of nine regulars is very, very poor. They put a tremendous amount of pressure on the pitchers each and every day with their inability to score runs and idiotic mistakes in the field.
The Sox score one run against a pitcher with a 5 ERA? Terrible offense. Terrible defense. Mental mistakes. Lather, rinse repeat.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-15-2013, 02:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Has anyone noted yet that Chris Sale clearly just doesn't have #TWTW?

2014: 4-8 plus Fenway and HOF weekend
2013: 4-6 plus St. Louis and Milwaukee
2012: 7-4
2011: 6-4 plus NYC parks and Minnesota
2010: 5-6
2009: 2-4 plus Pittsburgh

"Genius is not replicable. Inspiration, though, is contagious, and multiform and even just to see, close up, power and aggression made vulnerable to beauty is to feel inspired and (in a fleeting, mortal way) reconciled."
--David Foster Wallace, () "Roger Federer as Religious Experience"
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM
WSI Guru

Sale yesterday was just the 3rd pitcher in the last 100 years to strike out 14+ batters, allow no earned runs and lose.

https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/statu...76508956946432

One of the other two was also on the '13 Sox. 1913:

https://twitter.com/MDGonzales/statu...77161158647809
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

2. Ozzie tried, Robin has tried to get fundamentals taught and preached (granted I honestly don't think Ozzie cared much but in fact he did try from time to time). Yet the same players are making the same mistakes.

There's a reason why guys can't hit the cutoff man, execute bunts, work a hit and run, keep getting caught on the bases. It's because they are baseball-stupid. Not saying they aren't smart guys, not saying they don't have common sense, I'm saying in terms of the small things about the game, the details, they are simply baseball stupid.

And it's costing the Sox wins.

The players know that Robin has very little he can hold over them despite the stupid things they keep doing. Who is going to replace DeAza for example when the Sox don't have a leadoff man? Who is going to replace Ramirez and his half assed attitude when they don't have another shortstop??

The players know this...Robin has to know it and the fans have known about this stuff since 2009.

Lip

The question then is what happened last year to make us one of the best defensive teams in baseball? Do the Sox still take infield before the first game of road series? Don't know if that makes much of a difference or not but something has changed drastically with pretty much the same group of guys who caught the ball really well last year. Maybe it was just a fluke.