White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Sale should give Alexei a once-over with a cue ball in a tube sock.
Getting tired of TCM's "make the fabulous play, muff the routine play" schtick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Stymied by the Astros.
Errors.
What a bunch of clowns.
Get to work, Hahn, on the dispersal.
We have an ace so there's something to build around.
I don't know who has much trade value left, but since it is looking like the Sox would finish last with them, can't do much any worse without them. IMHO, only Sale is untouchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Since we beat ourselves, you were right the first time. Zero earned runs for either side. Hard to stay interested in this bunch.
Thinking a bout a Sox moratorium until they put two W's in a row. This team is SO hard to watch right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxman219 View Post
Only the Sox can have a pitcher who K's 14 people, give up no earned runs, AND STILL LOSE. Seriously, **** this team. I weep for Chris Sale.
Same old, same old is right.

SMO
Old 06-15-2013, 12:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox cannot hit. It's as simple as that. The defense has been poor so far but that is probably an aberration. The defense should regress to the mean and be a lot better the rest of the way. And don't forget, the pitching is quite good.

But the offense is awful. And Tyler Flowers, wow! He can't catch and he really can't hit.

Rick Hahn has to start re-tooling this offense. The Sox really have no alternative.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 AM
WSI Guru

Just some more thoughts on tonight's farce. Might be a good discussion topic if a mod wants to move it into a new thread.

I think there are two main reasons why you keep seeing the same things over and over from players the past few years in particular (in no particular order)

1. The organization from the top down does not hold people responsible for results. Loyalty means more than performance...than winning. That not only includes players but the front office.

2. Ozzie tried, Robin has tried to get fundamentals taught and preached (granted I honestly don't think Ozzie cared much but in fact he did try from time to time). Yet the same players are making the same mistakes.

There's a reason why guys can't hit the cutoff man, execute bunts, work a hit and run, keep getting caught on the bases. It's because they are baseball-stupid. Not saying they aren't smart guys, not saying they don't have common sense, I'm saying in terms of the small things about the game, the details, they are simply baseball stupid.

And it's costing the Sox wins.

The players know that Robin has very little he can hold over them despite the stupid things they keep doing. Who is going to replace DeAza for example when the Sox don't have a leadoff man? Who is going to replace Ramirez and his half assed attitude when they don't have another shortstop??

The players know this...Robin has to know it and the fans have known about this stuff since 2009.

Plenty of blame to go around, absolutely....but ultimately the bottom line is ownership has to set the tone, be in charge, place demands...and right now ownership is not doing any of those things.

Lip
Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Alexei has been having a major brain cramp this entire season. Maybe a change of scenery might help him, preferably to a group of guys who won't put up with those mistakes. The problem is who do you get to replace him with? The big problem here is that trading these guys might sound good, but there would be nothing else to work with.
Sale told Alexei that even Jeter makes errors.
The difference is that in Baseball 101, Jeter gers a A, Alexei gets a D.
Lets start the rebuild by trading him.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Sale told Alexei that even Jeter makes errors.
The difference is that in Baseball 101, Jeter gers a A, Alexei gets a D.
Lets start the rebuild by trading him.
Hilarious, because Jeter is one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephClone89 View Post
Hilarious, because Jeter is one of the worst defensive shortstops in baseball.
I'm talking about ''smarts''.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Because you listen, take offers, wait for buyers to distinguish themselves, and weigh your options. Players are going to be dealt. Patience. It's quite unfortunate Peavy hurt himself though. He would have fetched a nice return.
On the other hand, aren't Thornton and Crain worth more now to teams in need of bullpen health. You may miss out on a team being desperate around the trade deadline, but I'd rather try now for a more established minor leaguer or two to bring over. No matter what assets we try for when dispersing these guys, can we get a young catcher as a top priority?

As far as Dunn, how much of his contract will we have to eat for next year to trade him?

Oh yeah, the game itself...nice job Chris! Everyone else...argh!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

I finished working a 12 hour shift yesterday (7 am - 7 pm) and came home with a major headache.

Tuned in to watch the Sox game only to see another very disappointing loss.

Losing Ugly.

Looking for positives...kudos to Chris Sale for being the class act that he is.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 AM
WSI Prelate

I am willing to bet Hahn is listening to offers, but is not finding any to his liking.

On the other hand, do you really think it builds value for Hahn to call up 20 other GMs and ask, "What will you give me for Thornton and Crain?"

Impulsive aggression is part of the reason we are in this mess; KW would pull the trigger quickly and often overpay when trading prospects to acquire a veteran, and often settle for lousy prospects when dealing away a veteran.

The fact that Floyd and Peavy suffered injuries sucks, but sometimes "it's a big **** sandwich, and we all have to take a bite."
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by October26 View Post
I finished working a 12 hour shift yesterday (7 am - 7 pm) and came home with a major headache.

Tuned in to watch the Sox game only to see another very disappointing loss.

Losing Ugly.

Looking for positives...kudos to Chris Sale for being the class act that he is.
Yep. Everyone in the lineup owes Sale dinner.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGal85 View Post
Yep. Everyone in the lineup owes Sale dinner.
Indeed.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM
WSI Personality

After another dreadful loss last night, I have come to some conclusions:
1) The White Sox organization has no regard for Josh Phegley. If they did he would be playing on the White Sox now. Tyler Flowers looks totally overmatched at the plate. I think it was only right that Flowers be given a chance to make it this year. He's got his chance and he has flopped. I would think if the White Sox had a high opinion of Phegley, he would be given his chance now.
2) There's a nice article in todays Sun Times about Chris Sale. After losing last nights ugly game the article pointed out how Sale is not into the blame game. Some players blame their teammates for their losses. Sale could of blamed the White Sox offense or Ramirez for his loss last night, but he didn't. It's good to see that he's not a crybaby and he's not into the blame game. Some players have always been good at the blame game. One of them was Ron/Pizza Man/ Scab/Santo. It's good to see that Sale is not like that.
3) I'm just wondering if the real reason Hahn hasn't made any trades yet is because the other teams don't want most of the players Hahn is offering. Other than Sale, Rios and Reed I can't see any other team wanting anybody else the White Sox have. I would think that you probably wouldn't get much for Crain either simply because he's a free agent at the end of the season.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

You think it's bad now? Wait till the Blackhawks season ends (hopefully with Cup in tow) and we have nothing to distract us from this horror show.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I would have to think he has done about all the preaching and practicing of fundamentals time allows. We don't really know what goes on behind closed doors either but I would bet even Robin has laid the hammer down on certain players on this team. The fact is they are just a big collection of washed up's and never will be's . The complete and utter failure to develop any kind of positional talent has come to roost. Not to get all sabermetric and all but I think it's clear now this team was lucky last year and has regressed to the mean this year. The Sox we saw choke the division away last year was the real Sox. Lot's of the same players.
My thoughts, exactly.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
After another dreadful loss last night, I have come to some conclusions:
1) The White Sox organization has no regard for Josh Phegley. If they did he would be playing on the White Sox now. Tyler Flowers looks totally overmatched at the plate. I think it was only right that Flowers be given a chance to make it this year. He's got his chance and he has flopped. I would think if the White Sox had a high opinion of Phegley, he would be given his chance now.
2) There's a nice article in todays Sun Times about Chris Sale. After losing last nights ugly game the article pointed out how Sale is not into the blame game. Some players blame their teammates for their losses. Sale could of blamed the White Sox offense or Ramirez for his loss last night, but he didn't. It's good to see that he's not a crybaby and he's not into the blame game. Some players have always been good at the blame game. One of them was Ron/Pizza Man/ Scab/Santo. It's good to see that Sale is not like that.
3) I'm just wondering if the real reason Hahn hasn't made any trades yet is because the other teams don't want most of the players Hahn is offering. Other than Sale, Rios and Reed I can't see any other team wanting anybody else the White Sox have. I would think that you probably wouldn't get much for Crain either simply because he's a free agent at the end of the season.
You get B prospects for these relievers with great numbers, free agent or not, if you try. We spent too many resources coddling goodwill. No giveaways of real players anymore, please.
As for Phegley, I'm hoping it's a matter of the Sox not wanting to rush him - I know he's older, but he's had a lot of DL time too. No use rushing a player up for this scrub team. Just like there's no point in pitching our young pitchers 100+ innings.