White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM
11 NFL 12&13PTC CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
As much as we all would like to see Dunn released, it ain't gonna happen, at least this season. Jerry might eat a partial year, or send cash in a final-year trade sometime next season.

But that doesn't mean the Sox should just roll over. How about sending Flowers and Viciedo down and bringing up Phegley and Danks? Dunn has had a few good ABs this week and his walks are up, but if he drops again, bench him.

The message that players can turn in such a poor compete level and performance at the plate and in the field and keep their "play every day" jobs has to change for this team to move forward.

Jordan is up and was in the starting lineup on June 7th.
https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/...080512/photo/1
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I'm thrilled beyond belief when Dunn goes on one of his hot streaks. I'm usually happy when he just hits the ball. If he can continue his present hot hitting I'm hoping the White Sox will be able to move him to another team. I don't care if we don't get anything for him. Just get rid of him. We can use the money for some other free agent. Morales of Seattle would look good in a White Sox uniform next year.
Thats all I ask for as well... I dont expect a HR each at bat, just put the damn ball in play and let the chips fall where they may. Nice to see him have some BP against Dickey the other night..

Funny, but if he were to hover at .250, that alone would be a world of difference.. Just that 1 hit over 4 ABs would make a huge difference..

BK59
Old 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM
WSI High Priest

I find it funny that the Sox cut ties with Frank Thomas when he was injured and declining. Even in 2005 when he could only get 35 games in - he had a .905 OPS.

Swamp Donkey hasn't sniffed that with the Sox. 3 years later Frank was cut from the Blue Jays after 16 games for putting up the type of numbers that Dunn has these past 3 seasons.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I find it funny that the Sox cut ties with Frank Thomas when he was injured and declining. Even in 2005 when he could only get 35 games in - he had a .905 OPS.

Swamp Donkey hasn't sniffed that with the Sox. 3 years later Frank was cut from the Blue Jays after 16 games for putting up the type of numbers that Dunn has these past 3 seasons.
$$$$$
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Swamp Donkeyhasn't sniffed that with the Sox. 3 years later Frank was cut from the Blue Jays after 16 games for putting up the type of numbers that Dunn has these past 3 seasons.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

How are the two positions even relevant to one another? The White Sox didn't re-sign Thomas after he only managed 35 games near the end of his career, concerned for his health as well as his declining skills. The A's signed him but didn't sign him after the season, concerned for his health and diminishing skills for what he was asking. The Blue Jays signed him but let him go back to the A's, picking up most of his salary, in his second season because of his diminishing skills. The A's saw the skills diminished, and no one had any interest in Thomas after that. The Blue Jays have dumped some big contracts. Vernon Wells and Alex Rios could have been much worse financially, though, and the Blue Jays aren't exactly a 21st century model franchise.

The White Sox signed Dunn in what was supposed to be the peak years of his career, not believing he had issues of health or diminishing skills. He only signed the one contract. If in the last year of that contract he only plays 35 games, I doubt the White Sox will re-sign him.

The White Sox didn't cut Thomas before his contract was up. The White Sox haven't cut Dunn with time left on his contract. I see only consistency.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
How are the two positions even relevant to one another? The White Sox didn't re-sign Thomas after he only managed 35 games near the end of his career, concerned for his health as well as his declining skills. The A's signed him but didn't sign him after the season, concerned for his health and diminishing skills for what he was asking. The Blue Jays signed him but let him go back to the A's, picking up most of his salary, in his second season because of his diminishing skills. The A's saw the skills diminished, and no one had any interest in Thomas after that. The Blue Jays have dumped some big contracts. Vernon Wells and Alex Rios could have been much worse financially, though, and the Blue Jays aren't exactly a 21st century model franchise.

The White Sox signed Dunn in what was supposed to be the peak years of his career, not believing he had issues of health or diminishing skills. He only signed the one contract. If in the last year of that contract he only plays 35 games, I doubt the White Sox will re-sign him.

The White Sox didn't cut Thomas before his contract was up. The White Sox haven't cut Dunn with time left on his contract. I see only consistency.
Excellent post, pointing out the flaws in the original contention.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I've got a feeling that even if Adam plays 162 games in 2014, he won't be back with the Sox for the 2015 season.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I've got a feeling that even if Adam plays 162 games in 2014, he won't be back with the Sox for the 2015 season.
He'll either get traded based on performance, or they'll let him walk. No question, IMO.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I am guessing that Dunn's 2014 season would have to include at least three miracles in addition to strong offensive numbers for the White Sox to re-sign him.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
I am guessing that Dunn's 2014 season would have to include at least three miracles in addition to strong offensive numbers for the White Sox to re-sign him.
Maybe JR will die and he'll buy the team.

Say hello to your DH For Life!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Would one of the miracles be a salary under $5 million and a BA over .220?
Old 06-15-2013, 09:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Never mentioned this before, but I ran across a really ancient Sox near-great at an event in June 2011, guy probably didn't make $1M in his career. You should have heard him go off on Dunn, esp. after I told him the deal was for $56M/4 years. Not much has changed since then.

Don't think these guys from another era don't remain Sox fans for the rest of their lives. It becomes part of you.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

I never thought I'd say this but I have started to think that Adam Dunn is the least of this team's problems.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I never thought I'd say this but I have started to think that Adam Dunn is the least of this team's problems.
I agree. Konerko is not exactly lighting it up either.

This team is old and bad. I really wish a new "Larry Himes" era would begin. It seemed like the SOX farm system was producing a new star every season back then. McDowell, Ventura, Thomas...