White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
One major difference. The Red Sox had a solid core of quality everyday players and pitchers going in. You say they signed quality free agents. So far Napoli, Carp, and Victorino have produced, Drew has been okay and Gomes has been lousy. From a pitching standpoint, they have had some success from a few new guys in the pen but Dempster has been mediocre
But Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Nava and Saltalamacchia are all having big years as have Buchholz and Lester.
Today's Providence Journal said a lot of credit goes to a much better coaching staff especially the advanced scouts.
Exactly. Our team is not a small spending spree away from contending. We've got a core of one starter, one reliever, and an aging outfielder. Everyone else is either gone next year, useless, or at the very least in need of an upgrade if we're to compete. Using the free agent market to get there isn't viable. You need a solid core of several players first.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Exactly. Our team is not a small spending spree away from contending. We've got a core of one starter, one reliever, and an aging outfielder. Everyone else is either gone next year, useless, or at the very least in need of an upgrade if we're to compete. Using the free agent market to get there isn't viable. You need a solid core of several players first.
The Sox don't have to compete with the Yankees and Rays, either. We just have to find a way to be better than Detroit. Not nearly as challenging.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
The Sox don't have to compete with the Yankees and Rays, either. We just have to find a way to be better than Detroit. Not nearly as challenging.
I disagree with that assessment. I'd much rather compete with the Yanks and Rays, at least over the next three years. Neither is likely a match for the Tigers for that time frame.

Now, in the future ten years from now? Of course. But the Tiger's are positioned to be the league favorites for the next few years, barring some catastrophic injuries to players without a history of injuries.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:43 PM
WSI Prelate

It shouldn't be his decision. He's managed like an amateur this year and the team has executed poorly.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
It shouldn't be his decision. He's managed like an amateur this year and the team has executed poorly.
Bingo!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
A couple of clutch hits and a little better D and the record could be a lot different due to all of the very close games the Sox have lost. You can't blame that on the manager, and I believe those are the keys to the poor play this year. Yea, there are some questionable moves on his part, but that's debatable in the outcomes. Big money players stranding runners and botching plays are done on the field, not on the bench.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM
WSI Guru

Mrwag:

But who makes out the lineup? Who continues to tolerate mental mistakes seemingly on a daily basis?

I don't blame Robin at all for the lack of talent on the roster. I do hold him accountable for how whatever talent there is, is used.

Lip
Old 06-17-2013, 03:09 PM
WSI High Priest

I was never wild about the hiring of RV but looking at the big picture he is a very small part of the problem.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:24 PM
WSI Prelate

If this was a football team, and the team constantly missed tackles and blocking assignments, and called absurd plays, would the coach not be held accountable?

The season's cooked. Really all I want from him now is to stop pitching these young starters over 100 innings for no real benefit.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Really all I want from him now is to stop pitching these young starters over 100 innings for no real benefit.
I agree. This makes no sense. It was inexcusable to let Sale, a guy who missed a recent start due to arm trouble, throw so many pitches in his last outing. It's not about letting Sale stay in the game to get a possible deserved win. That's the thought of an amateur, of someone who is more worried about what players will think of him than doing what's best for the team.

I've been troubled by Ventura's game pitching decisions and how much input Cooper has. I think Cooper is a great pitching coach in preparing a pitcher for success. However, I have no faith in Cooper's judgement during a game. Ventura's handling of pitchers has been bad and Cooper has his fingerprints on that.