White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 02:23 PM
WSI Guru

Default Robin says, he's not leaving...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,4646865.story

Lip
Old 06-08-2013, 02:41 PM
WSI Prelate

*evil laugh*
Old 06-08-2013, 04:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Robin's made some trivial decisions at times, mainly based on inexperience I think, but he can't do much about an offense that stinks.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

The SOX organization have the right man for the right time. A likeable, ex-player with a laid back demeanor who the press won't beat up too badly during this rebuilding period.

Unfortunately, this rebuilding period is going to last longer than Ventura's contract.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 06-09-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would want to stay at my 8 month a year, multi million dollar paying job too. This writer obviously needed a story by a deadline.

In the bigger picture, if the Sox decide to go into full rebuild mode in 2014, do they want to go into it with a manager with 2 year of so-so experience dealing with mostly veteran teams or do you bring in someone with rebuild experience? Not saying that sticking with RV wrong be the wrong decision, just a thought.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't think they get rid of Ventura anytime soon.

Last edited by amsteel; 06-08-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Banned

I swear, I had nothing to do with this article!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsteel View Post
I would want to stay at my 8 month a year, multi million dollar paying job too. This writer obviously needed a story by a deadline.

In the bigger picture, if the Sox decide to go into full rebuild mode in 2014, do they want to go into it with a manager with 2 year of so-so experience dealing with mostly veteran teams or do you bring in someone with rebuild experience? Not saying that sticking with RV wrong be the wrong decision, just a thought.

From a marketing standpoint, I don't think they get rid of Ventura anytime soon.
Depends on what "rebuilding" means. If it means tearing it down to scratch and starting over then probably not, but I don't see the Sox doing that. They will shed some high end contracts and sign some new FA. I just cant see them going to full rebuild mode for two reasons:

1. They don't have the minor league players to do ti with.

2. Their pitching staff could be quite good for a few more years at least. Danks, Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Axelrod, Reed and even Jones are fine pieces to build a pitching staff around. I assume Floyd is gone and I don't see Peavy coming back unless he gives them a nice discount, but I imagine he wants to go somewhere he has a serious shot at a title. I won't be shocked if he signs with the Yankees actually, but could see both the Giants and Cardinals making a run at him and there are probably plenty of other teams would love to have him who are a stud 1/2 starter from making a serious run at the whole thing.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-08-2013, 05:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I swear, I had nothing to do with this article!
No, but you were the reason for my evil laugh earlier in the thread.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Depends on what "rebuilding" means. If it means tearing it down to scratch and starting over then probably not, but I don't see the Sox doing that. They will shed some high end contracts and sign some new FA. I just cant see them going to full rebuild mode for two reasons:

1. They don't have the minor league players to do ti with.

2. Their pitching staff could be quite good for a few more years at least. Danks, Sale, Quintana, Santiago, Axelrod, Reed and even Jones are fine pieces to build a pitching staff around. I assume Floyd is gone and I don't see Peavy coming back unless he gives them a nice discount, but I imagine he wants to go somewhere he has a serious shot at a title. I won't be shocked if he signs with the Yankees actually, but could see both the Giants and Cardinals making a run at him and there are probably plenty of other teams would love to have him who are a stud 1/2 starter from making a serious run at the whole thing.
I would like to see the Sox have an offseason like the Red Sox did this past winter, although they don't have quite as much money to spend (though the Sox do not have much in the way of long-term contracts). Sign a number of quality free agents to short-term deals to compete in the short and medium term, while putting more effort into developing young talent on the farm.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
I would like to see the Sox have an offseason like the Red Sox did this past winter, although they don't have quite as much money to spend (though the Sox do not have much in the way of long-term contracts). Sign a number of quality free agents to short-term deals to compete in the short and medium term, while putting more effort into developing young talent on the farm.
That would be nice though I don't think we'll see the Sox make any kind of moves until after 2014 when almost all the moneys comes off the books
Old 06-08-2013, 11:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
That would be nice though I don't think we'll see the Sox make any kind of moves until after 2014 when almost all the moneys comes off the books
Still only $75 million on the books for 2014, and that's without any trades.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

After the craziness of Ozzie, I'm not surprised the Sox went with someone like Robin. I'm just surprised that Robin took the job considering he's never managed or full time coached at any professional level.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Ill only believe it after he reups his current contract.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
No, but you were the reason for my evil laugh earlier in the thread.
Haha...yeah. Though I'm sure some would still argue that I was "trolling" instead of actually seeing this as a possibility in the likely scenario that we fell flat on our face (which we also have).

So far looks like he's staying with the sinking ship, though.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
One major difference. The Red Sox had a solid core of quality everyday players and pitchers going in. You say they signed quality free agents. So far Napoli, Carp, and Victorino have produced, Drew has been okay and Gomes has been lousy. From a pitching standpoint, they have had some success from a few new guys in the pen but Dempster has been mediocre
But Ortiz, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Nava and Saltalamacchia are all having big years as have Buchholz and Lester.
Today's Providence Journal said a lot of credit goes to a much better coaching staff especially the advanced scouts.