White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 AM
WSI Personality

Play any random clip of Bob Uecker as Harry Doyle in "Major League" when the Tribe was going bad and it would probably fit this club right now. And I might be more inclined to tune in.

Regarding a replacement for Hawk, as long as JR owns this team it will be a former Sox player. He'd probably hire Ozzie.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:12 PM
WSI High Priest

I have always defended Hawk,but even I am starting to struggle listening to Hawk during this last month or so.

He is ok when the team is doing ok,but hard to listen to in a losing streak like this. He sounds too desperate.

His continual predictions of a huge impact with Gordo's return started to sound kind of delusional. We all know he loves Gordo,and his family,but I think he actually added pressure on Gordo,who himself tried to distance himself from the savior role this week in his quotes.

It is very hard to like anything about Sox baseball the last two weeks,so I will wait until they come out of this tailspin before supporting a wholesale housecleaning,but right now that looks good...from top to bottom.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I will wait until they come out of this tailspin before supporting a wholesale housecleaning,but right now that looks good...from top to bottom.
"Therein lies the rub" - Bill Shakespeare

I truly believe you'll get the rebuilding process starting in a month but a housecleaning from top to bottom?

Not as long as JR owns the team and that's unfortunate. "It's time" (LOL) for new ideas, new faces, new sets of eyes looking at the problems from outside the organization. Folks who have no ties, zero...none to the White Sox.

Lip
Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Let me know once he has an orgasm on the air. I'm convinced Santo creamed himself following a Bill Mueller home run in 2001.
Buehrles perfect game. His yesses at the end matched Meg Ryan's in her oragasm seen in When Harry Met Sally. For the record, I love Hawk
Old 06-08-2013, 01:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yup, Hawk has reached the "Hey you kids, get off of the Damn lawn" season in his life.. Even his anecdotal Hawkisms are gettin old.. Its sad when these guys get to the point where they sound like the character in the movie "Everybodys All American" reliving their own exploits. We know Hawk, those 67 Red Sox were a damn fine team..Um, they also caught a few breaks too,.

Sad to lose him in favour of a cookie cutter talking head, but that seems to be the MLB way. Have to hand it to a picture painter like Scully. The guy has survived talking a baseball in the context of the game itself without all of the new bangs and whistles and over the top colour commentary. Maybe thats how my ear grew up listening to guys like him and Elson describing the game.

I as well think its time to turn the page. Nell has it right. A big catharsis is in order.. Watching this team is like watching a faithful old dog die. You know its right to put it down, but the Mutt has always been there for ya and in your heart of hearts you just cant do it...

BK59
Old 06-08-2013, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Yup, Hawk has reached the "Hey you kids, get off of the Damn lawn" season in his life.. Even his anecdotal Hawkisms are gettin old.. Its sad when these guys get to the point where they sound like the character in the movie "Everybodys All American" reliving their own exploits. We know Hawk, those 67 Red Sox were a damn fine team..Um, they also caught a few breaks too,.

Sad to lose him in favour of a cookie cutter talking head, but that seems to be the MLB way. Have to hand it to a picture painter like Scully. The guy has survived talking a baseball in the context of the game itself without all of the new bangs and whistles and over the top colour commentary. Maybe thats how my ear grew up listening to guys like him and Elson describing the game.

I as well think its time to turn the page. Nell has it right. A big catharsis is in order.. Watching this team is like watching a faithful old dog die. You know its right to put it down, but the Mutt has always been there for ya and in your heart of hearts you just cant do it...

BK59
Klu, Some think that the Commander was boring but I thought he was damn good, the game, without getting too emotional about it, was the all important thing. He got a little excited for a White Sox Wallop and a box of White Owl Cigars. Never heard the man knock a player. "Remember fans, that errors like runs and hits are all part of this great game."

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-08-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
That's one of the great unanswerable question of all time? LOL.

Seriously I don't know and apparently neither does Dave. Dave's supporters pitched him to JR but could never get his 'blessing.'

The idea of Dave returning has sailed in my opinion. I think he's established in Tampa, making a good living for him and his family and I don't think he's return to just do three innings or so as basically a caddy for Hawk or Farmer. If the Sox were ever to come to him and offer the primary announcers gig he'd consider it maybe...but again as long as JR owns the team, Hawk will be the main TV guy so the point is moot.

Lip
I'd be fine if they offered him the radio gig if it got Farmer off the air.

SMO
Old 06-08-2013, 02:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
I'd be fine if they offered him the radio gig if it got Farmer off the air.

SMO
If Farmer goes, he can take DJ with him. I can't take anymore of his singing, his horrible home run calls, or the way he randomly blurts out, "ka-doob-lee-woo," or whatever the hell he says every broadcast. I wish Rooney were still around, but he has a nice gig in St. Louis, where he doesn't have to deal with the perpetual bull**** that always seems to dog the Sox organization. Of course, where there's ****, there has to be a farm animal of some sort.

<----------------------------------------- Undisputed farm animal
Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Has Hawk become Santo? Nope. Not even close. He is also missing the element of being a fan favorite player of the team who whined every time the HOF vote passed him up.

When Hawks dies, will the White Sox fanbase act as if they lost their closest friend ever and make him out to be the male version of Mother Theresa? Nope. Hell, he's not even Harry Caray. He's just Hawk.

All hail The Rick
Old 06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

When's the last time he gave somone a nickname? He's slipping, ready for the pasture.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrod View Post
When's the last time he gave somone a nickname? He's slipping, ready for the pasture.
El Stallion would beg to differ with that. Not that Alex Rios would know what the heck it meant, because the Spanish word for stallion is semental.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:04 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
El Stallion would beg to differ with that. Not that Alex Rios would know what the heck it meant, because the Spanish word for stallion is semental.
That's not even that creative, it sounds too much like El Caballo.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That's not even that creative, it sounds too much like El Caballo.
I stopped calling him that after he was picked off third base in 2002. From then on, he was El Stupido.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I stopped calling him that after he was picked off third base in 2002. From then on, he was El Stupido.
When it comes to intelligence, horses aren't exactly dolphins.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Has Hawk become Santo? Nope. Not even close. He is also missing the element of being a fan favorite player of the team who whined every time the HOF vote passed him up.

When Hawks dies, will the White Sox fanbase act as if they lost their closest friend ever and make him out to be the male version of Mother Theresa? Nope. Hell, he's not even Harry Caray. He's just Hawk.

This.