White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Has Hawk become Ron Santo?

Especially lately as we have been very bad, Hawk has been getting more and more filled with angst. Whether it was "NOOOOOOOO!" over Angel Hernandez's call at first base a few weeks ago or his reaction to Adam Dunn's home run that wasn't, he is sounding more and more like Ron Santo to me. In fact, if a Sox game were to end like the Cubs game in which Brant Brown dropped the ball, it might sound like this:

"Bottom of the 9th at Comerica, Sox leading 4-2, sacks packed with Tigers, two out...Cabrera hits it to left playable, and when this ball comes down this game is OV.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! DADGUMMIT!!!!!!!!!!............................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................and the Tigers win it 5-4 on the dropped ball by Tank..........we'll be back."

Every Hawk outburst is now played on sports talk radio over and over again. And it's not just Boers & Bernstein where it happens.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 PM
WSI High Priest

For a fan, watching a Sox game for the past three years (save a few great months here and there) has felt like being held down while three people kick you and steal your wallet.

For an aging man that A.)loves the team more than anyone alive and B.)must watch every game, I'd say it could quickly deteriorate one's mind.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Let me know once he has an orgasm on the air. I'm convinced Santo creamed himself following a Bill Mueller home run in 2001.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM
WSI Prelate

I don't think he's there, yet, but I do think its time to work on an exit transition plan before things get much worse.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I don't think he's there, yet, but I do think its time to work on an exit transition plan before things get much worse.
I tend to agree, but who do the Sox replace him with? Any chance Rooney would agree to come back? I know he's always done primarily radio, but I'd love to have him call Sox games again.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
I tend to agree, but who do the Sox replace him with? Any chance Rooney would agree to come back? I know he's always done primarily radio, but I'd love to have him call Sox games again.
Doubt Rooney leaves STL. Likely the same with Wills in TB. Those two would be my first two choices. If not them, how about Wayne Hagin?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Harrelson more turkey than hawk.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI High Priest

No.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 PM
WSI Prelate

"I could do it!"

"But you won't."
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

I really think he's hurting, watching the team play so poorly for what seem like longer and longer stretches of futility. I also think he is getting a bit tired of spouting the party line and trying to blow sunshine up our asses regarding this team. He actually called the offense "inept" this evening.

SMO
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie View Post
I really think he's hurting, watching the team play so poorly for what seem like longer and longer stretches of futility. I also think he is getting a bit tired of spouting the party line and trying to blow sunshine up our asses regarding this team. He actually called the offense "inept" this evening.

SMO
On other thing to keep in mind is that Hawk has long served as Jerry Reinsdorf's mouthpiece. He never says anything unless it reflects Reinsdorf's feelings about the club, which is part of the reason why JR was so hard on him last season after his umpiring outburst. If Hawk is avoiding negative comments about the team, it's likely because that's what he's been told to do. If he called the team's offense inept, that probably means JR is pissed about the offense's futility.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 PM
WSI Guru

As long as JR owns the team Hawk isn't going anywhere and remember he just signed a new four year deal before the season started.

As far as Dave he has (had) supporters on the staff, JR apparently wasn't one of them and when push comes to shove he has 51% of the vote.

Lip
Old 06-07-2013, 10:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
As long as JR owns the team Hawk isn't going anywhere and remember he just signed a new four year deal before the season started.

As far as Dave he has (had) supporters on the staff, JR apparently wasn't one of them and when push comes to shove he has 51% of the vote.

Lip
I'm sure it's more fun calling that Rays team, anyway.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Lip
Why is this? Dave did a good job when he worked in the studio.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 PM
WSI Guru

That's one of the great unanswerable question of all time? LOL.

Seriously I don't know and apparently neither does Dave. Dave's supporters pitched him to JR but could never get his 'blessing.'

The idea of Dave returning has sailed in my opinion. I think he's established in Tampa, making a good living for him and his family and I don't think he's return to just do three innings or so as basically a caddy for Hawk or Farmer. If the Sox were ever to come to him and offer the primary announcers gig he'd consider it maybe...but again as long as JR owns the team, Hawk will be the main TV guy so the point is moot.

Lip