White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 04:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Oh, I'm not critiqueing his opinion of the actual players, most everything I've read suggests the Sox did reach a bit for Anderson and Danish, I'm just saying that the way the draft is set up now, the way the bonus money is slotted and lumped, there's really no point in making any sweeping generalizations about how a team passed or failed after only 2 rounds. That'd be the rough equivalent of saying the Spurs will definitely win the NBA Finals now that they've won the first 14% of the series. It's stupid fluff that's not worth reading. Yes, the Sox reached for their first two picks, but they seem to be making up for it with some pretty bold selections today. I would have to assume that's been the plan all along.

By the way, that can't be a paid site, right? I mean, seriously, they ough to fire the writer, find some other idiot who will write the same **** for free and pay someone who is capable of actual web design. Looks like it was coded in 1999.
I think its a side site, its all word-press. Crawford has a few of those (one with Jason Churchill, prospectinsider.com). They did the ESPN.com analysis last night also and the ESPN.COM live chat during the draft http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-...-pick-analysis

Its funny actually, most MLB scouting sites are just horrendously ugly, look like they were build in the 90s using Angelfire. I mean really, no one cares about this stuff, its not the NFL draft, so its probably the same guys building the site that are sitting there watching the prospects.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
While he agrees with you on Anderson, he just as strongly disagrees with you on Danish, based purely on the notion that nobody else liked him that high. Hmmm.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 06-07-2013, 04:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
While he agrees with you on Anderson, he just as strongly disagrees with you on Danish, based purely on the notion that nobody else liked him that high. Hmmm.

Yah. I will fulllllyyy admit Chris Crawford is a friend of mine, and he lives and breathes this stuff. We don't always see eye-to-eye on guys. I played through college, so I tend to look at prospects as a player would, where Chris sees them as a scout would.

But few people outwork him in this craft, and over his career hes been right a lot more than wrong. I respect his opinion.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Mets got a nice grab in Pat Biondi. Kid tore up the Cape Cod league, good speed, great defender, he has a great chance to be hitting 1 or 2 for them for years.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
7th - Trey Michalczewski - 3B - Jenks HS (Jenks, OK) - 6'3'' - 205 lbs - DOB: 2/27/1995

Write up from MLB.com:

From the Tulsa World: http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...5_CUTLIN685182

Pretty optimistic write up from SB Nation, but also suggests the Sox are going to have to pay up to get him to sign: http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013-ml...3b-jenks-hs-ok
Possibly why they went under slot in round 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Nick Blount and Brad Goldberg are the picks in round 9 and 10. There are the big-arm guys we usually get. Goldberg is more of a sinker-type guy.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 PM
MMXXIII

9th Round - NICK BLOUNT - Southern Polytechnic State (Marietta, GA) - 6'6'' - DOB: 9/1/1990

SPSU Profile: http://www.spsuhornets.com/roster/17/3/736.php

Profile from University of Tennessee, where he played his first three seasons of college baseball: http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-bas...nt_nick00.html

Was dismissed from the Volunteers last year for "violating team rules:" http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/...baseball-team/
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
MMXXIII

10th Round - BRAD GOLDBERG - Ohio State University - 6'4'' - 235 lbs. - DOB: 2/21/1990

OSU Profile: http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...rg_751878.html

BA Archives: http://www.baseballamerica.com/t/brad-goldberg/
Old 06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
I know next to nothing about drafting or how baseball players develop before they make the show. No, make that nothing that I know.

So with that disclaimer, I read that the pitcher they drafted in the 2nd round is looking likely to end up in the bullpen should he make the majors. Is that normal for a high prospect? It just seems to me like that would be a waste for such a high draft pick as a starter, aren't a lot of relievers just failed starters anyway and could be found in later rounds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
Not necessarily. Tanner Scheppers, Rex Brothers, and Addison Reed were all drafted relatively early with the primary focus on being a great bullpen arm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
No, it's not odd. Early first round would be. It's why you saw Stanek fall to the same range. Most teams believe with his command and injury concerns he'll end up in the pen. High end pen choices go in that range.

Now, whether or not our kid (who isn't on anyone's top 100 board) belongs there is a huge question.
Actually it's extremely rare to take a high school player in the 2nd round, who most project to be a RP. It's one thing to spend the pick on 'proven' college guys like Scheppers, Brother, Reed, Storen, ect.

The thing with Danish is that there's a minority of scouts who are absolutely in love with his stuff and it's really a crap shoot on predicting pitcher injuries. It's universal that his motion is awful, but that doesn't mean that he'll ever end up with an arm injury. Personally I kind of like the roll of the dice.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Rivaldi:

Checked back with the person who made that comment and it was based on the opinion that the kid is more of an athlete than a baseball player per se. Was told the kid has a high upside but is really raw. Some scouts apparently have him pegged as a potential center fielder.

Lip
Okay, interesting to hear that. Unfortunately, I sometimes worry that scouts peg kids as "athletes" based on the color of their skin. It's an unfortunate opinion of mine, but I do sometimes think that.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-08-2013, 10:41 PM
MMXXIII

Full Draft:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...ft=team&fv=cha
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm disappointed at not going after a catcher higher up. Flowers is playing much better than I expected, but this is a key position to have guys in the pipeline at.

Now onto seeing how these guys sign and start performing in the minors and how our guys selected the last few years continue to develop.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Octavio Rodriguez, late rounder, is going to be very interesting to see if we can sign him..... He is purely a projection guy, but if he can put good weight on the big frame, he could come out of no where....
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I'm disappointed at not going after a catcher higher up. Flowers is playing much better than I expected, but this is a key position to have guys in the pipeline at.

Now onto seeing how these guys sign and start performing in the minors and how our guys selected the last few years continue to develop.
You must have had really, really, really low expectations.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:17 PM
WSI High Priest

I would be shocked if Rodriguez signs, all reports are that he will play a few years at Oklahoma to try and propel himself into the early rounds. He has the stuff to get there too.
Some of the mid-round pitchers have intrigue. Brad Goldberg could make it to the show if he cleans up some of his mechanics. Matt Ball and Alex Powers have some good tools to work with, but will probably have to add some weight. Devin Moore could turn into a sleeper.
The outfielders could give a boost to the system if they are handled properly. Adam Engel might have been the second best athlete the White Sox drafted this weekend, but will need to figure things out at the plate. Overall, this could be a real big draft for the Sox going forward.