White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Sox 5th round pick: Thaddius Lowry, a RHP out of Spring HS in Texas.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM
MMXXIII

5th Round pick, Thaddius Lowry, is excited:

Thaddius Lowry‏@BiGBadTHadd2m
@CHawkins10 ill you there bro #soxnation #Htown!!!

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Outside of the third pick, they're going high risk/high upside. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).
Old 06-07-2013, 02:53 PM
MMXXIII

Preseason piece on James Dykstra, 6th round pick:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...arcos-pitcher/
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
WSI High Priest

6th - James Dykstra - RHP - Cal State San Marcos.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:37 PM
MMXXIII

7th - Trey Michalczewski - 3B - Jenks HS (Jenks, OK) - 6'3'' - 205 lbs - DOB: 2/27/1995

Write up from MLB.com:
Quote:
Michalczewski plays shortstop at Jenks, but will almost certainly move to third base as a professional. He has a good approach at the plate and his bat speed allows him to let the ball get deep in the strike zone before starting to swing. Listed at 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Michalczewski already has good size and projects to have good power. While he is probably destined to move to the hot corner, he is a solid defender with a strong arm and should easily make the transition. Michalczewski is committed to Oklahoma.
From the Tulsa World: http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...5_CUTLIN685182

Pretty optimistic write up from SB Nation, but also suggests the Sox are going to have to pay up to get him to sign: http://www.crawfishboxes.com/2013-ml...3b-jenks-hs-ok

Last edited by doublem23; 06-07-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:58 PM
WSI High Priest

SD got a great pick at 50 in Dustin Peterson. He will eventually be moved to 3b, but I think he has more power potential than his brother who is a MONSTER.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
He's only saying that because he didn't like the pick. He is the only one saying it's a huge reach, based on the Sox's poor player development record, not the potential of the player himself.
http://mlbdraftinsider.com/2013/06/p...rades-day-one/

Not the only one any more haha
Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Anybody who is judging a baseball draft by it's first two rounds either doesn't understand how it works, or is just a ****ing moron. Either way, not worth reading, for sure.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Anybody who is judging a baseball draft by it's first two rounds either doesn't understand how it works, or is just a ****ing moron. Either way, not worth reading, for sure.
Its just a Day 1 Pass/Fail on the process.......But I am sure you know more about these guys than the guys who get paid to scout them
Old 06-07-2013, 04:15 PM
WSI High Priest

That said, I don't dislike Tyler at all, I think he is going to be good. I still think he can be a starter personally, but I am in the small minority there, and probably wrong.

I think we had a pretty blah day 1, but if we did it to spend more on Day 2, I am cool with that. We are having a REALLY GOOD day 2 so far. And in the MLB draft, that might be more important than any other sport.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
We pick a JUCO SS and high school pitcher in the first two rounds and this sounds like Kenny? While I'm not crazy about the picks, I really don't see how this resembles what we've done in the past.
Rivaldi:

Checked back with the person who made that comment and it was based on the opinion that the kid is more of an athlete than a baseball player per se. Was told the kid has a high upside but is really raw. Some scouts apparently have him pegged as a potential center fielder.

Lip
Old 06-07-2013, 04:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Lowry, the Texas kid, is another kid I love. The thing about him is (and this is similar to what you heard Reynolds talking about last night with cold-weather states), he is so incredibly Raw. He was never really a pitcher, he was a catching prospect who could pitch, and he is JUST NOW getting that feel for pitching. He sits low 90s, touches like 95-96, but as he builds up endurance and develops, I think he is going to sit 94-96 and he has 2 other pitches with a lot of potential.

You may never hear his name again, but he has the tools to be a number 2 SP in 4 years IMHO.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:21 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Its just a Day 1 Pass/Fail on the process.......But I am sure you know more about these guys than the guys who get paid to scout them
Oh, I'm not critiqueing his opinion of the actual players, most everything I've read suggests the Sox did reach a bit for Anderson and Danish, I'm just saying that the way the draft is set up now, the way the bonus money is slotted and lumped, there's really no point in making any sweeping generalizations about how a team passed or failed after only 2 rounds. That'd be the rough equivalent of saying the Spurs will definitely win the NBA Finals now that they've won the first 14% of the series. It's stupid fluff that's not worth reading. Yes, the Sox reached for their first two picks, but they seem to be making up for it with some pretty bold selections today. I would have to assume that's been the plan all along.

By the way, that can't be a paid site, right? I mean, seriously, they ough to fire the writer, find some other idiot who will write the same **** for free and pay someone who is capable of actual web design. Looks like it was coded in 1999.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
MMXXIII

8th Rd - CHRIS FREUDENBERG - LHP - South Mountain CC (Phoenix, AZ) - 6'3'' - 195 lbs - DOB: 6/19/1993

MLB.com Scouting Report:
Quote:
Freudenberg began his college career at Central Arizona Junior College last year before transferring to Arizona Christian that spring. He then moved onto South Mountain this year. Despite all the upheaval, Freudenberg managed a breakout season this year. He throws in the upper-80s to low-90s with a clean, easy arm action. Freudenberg's velocity dipped late in the season, likely as a result of a heavy workload that included starting and relieving. Freudenberg also throws a curveball and cutter. He will need to add a changeup and fill out his 6-foot-3, 195-pound frame to remain a starter as a professional.