White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 AM
MMXXIII

From the always good Jim Margalus at SSS:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2013/6/6...2013-mlb-draft

Pretty good summary of everything you need to know about our new young shortstop and pitcher
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Umm, Randy Johnson struggled with injuries because he didn't know how to pitch, gaining fifty pounds did not magically make him an effective pitcher, learning how to pitch did that.
He didn't change his motion though.

Just to be clear because I know someone will go there...I am not implying any sort of "boost" for his drastic frame change. It wasn't overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
He also didn't have arm injuries until he was with the Yankees, he had frequent back problems earlier in his career.
You're right, my bad. Still though, it was his frame and mechanics. He fixed the former.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
He's only saying that because he didn't like the pick. He is the only one saying it's a huge reach, based on the Sox's poor player development record, not the potential of the player himself.
That and there was just much better talent available. I will admit, when it comes to the MLB draft, I hate the notion of drafting based on a certain position as prospects are such crap shoots and provide little immediate impact. So drafting the best SS available, because the position is very thin this year and he is very signable, and not because he is anything close to the best player available, is a big reach to me.

That said, I really enjoy the draft and amateur baseball, a friend of mine did the pick by pick analysis for ESPN.com this year, so I could talk about these guys all day.

I think after sleeping on it, most of my disappointment stems from the fact Hahn is not changing anything, atleast not early in the draft.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
From the always good Jim Margalus at SSS:

Pretty good summary of everything you need to know about our new young shortstop and pitcher
I love it.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Banned

Anderson's Twitter, for those of you interested in such things: https://twitter.com/TimAnderson7
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
WSI High Priest

I love the Danish pick.... The article nailed it.... The Kid is as much Jake Peavy as he is Pat Neshek....

He has good velocity and he gets insane movement on his stuff with that delivery. He is very young, but the potential to be great is there.

I admittedly don't mind bad mechanics as much as some. Mark Prior had perfect mechanics that were going to carry him for 20 years, and now those mechanics are blamed for ruining his arm.

Love this kids stuff. Bradford is even a bad comparison, he threw from underneath and had no velocity. This kid has not even maxed out, he could sit in the mid 90s when he finishes developing.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 AM
WSI Regular

Default 2013 White Sox Draft

Thoughts on the first 2 picks?

Who's on your radar in the upcoming rounds?

I love the Anderson pick, better bat than Crawford. Danish should fly through the system, assuming Thornton/Crain are gone soon..

Love to see Cavan Biggio or JaCoby Jones selected soon.

Hursh and Vanegas both great arms and NOT HS pitchers :-)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

From John Sickels:

Quote:
The lack of quality shortstops in this draft class pushed Anderson up the lists, but his tools would stand out any year. His best tool is speed but he's got some pop in his bat too, hitting .495 this spring with 18 doubles, 11 triples, 10 homers. He also stole 41 bases. The 6-1, 175 pound right-handed hitter has some a long way in a short time, going from an obscure athlete to a legitimate first-round choice in less than a year. The White Sox are often linked with big, hard-throwing pitchers and toolsy outfielders, but Anderson is a good fit in this organization, or any organization really.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Check it out: Reaction here: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=138253
Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I love the Danish pick.... The article nailed it.... The Kid is as much Jake Peavy as he is Pat Neshek....

He has good velocity and he gets insane movement on his stuff with that delivery. He is very young, but the potential to be great is there.

I admittedly don't mind bad mechanics as much as some. Mark Prior had perfect mechanics that were going to carry him for 20 years, and now those mechanics are blamed for ruining his arm.

Love this kids stuff. Bradford is even a bad comparison, he threw from underneath and had no velocity. This kid has not even maxed out, he could sit in the mid 90s when he finishes developing.
Well, the Peavy comparison was simply a slot comparison, not a stuff or even a motion comparison. I mean...the article even says he's Neshek without the stuff. And Neshek didn't have Peavy's stuff.

I'm not thrilled with the pick, but I don't hate it. He's really young, so you never know. They might see something in that delivery that they can fix and make him more effective.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:00 AM
WSI Personality

These scouting reports/player comparisons are entertaining but almost useless. Trying to predict the future of a 19-year old like Anderson is a fool's errand and trying to set a "ceiling" (.270/20) is just plain silly. VERY few players in any draft are "can't miss" (i.e. Strasburg) and a good many of those "can't miss" players do end up missing. Without looking it up, I'm sure the MLB is full of players that greatly exceeded the projections assigned to them by the scouts/media. Baseball is unique in this regard. None of the other major sports are as speculative/inconsistent when it comes to projecting future success. Football is probably a distant second.

Anderson may bust, but he has things that can't be taught. But I would agree that the Sox haven't done a very good job of developing players of his ilk which is the only thing that gives me pause.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Well, the Peavy comparison was simply a slot comparison, not a stuff or even a motion comparison. I mean...the article even says he's Neshek without the stuff. And Neshek didn't have Peavy's stuff.

I'm not thrilled with the pick, but I don't hate it. He's really young, so you never know. They might see something in that delivery that they can fix and make him more effective.
Well Peavy did not have Peavy's stuff at 18 either... I would HATE it as a 22 year old, but I think the Sox could really lock this kid in. I am more excited about him than I have been most of our young pitching (not counting Sale) in years.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Well Peavy did not have Peavy's stuff at 18 either... I would HATE it as a 22 year old, but I think the Sox could really lock this kid in. I am more excited about him than I have been most of our young pitching (not counting Sale) in years.
Hopefully they are able to persuade him to sign and not follow through on his college commitement, but I don't necessarily mind them taking a few reaches in the early rounds; of course, the Sox need impact prospects badly, but they also need general depth in the farm system. Hopefully if they can get Anderson and Danish to sign under slot that will open up some cash for the next few rounds some more prep players with some upside that maybe have slid because of college commitments. Dangle some cash in front of them and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
That and there was just much better talent available. I will admit, when it comes to the MLB draft, I hate the notion of drafting based on a certain position as prospects are such crap shoots and provide little immediate impact. So drafting the best SS available, because the position is very thin this year and he is very signable, and not because he is anything close to the best player available, is a big reach to me.

That said, I really enjoy the draft and amateur baseball, a friend of mine did the pick by pick analysis for ESPN.com this year, so I could talk about these guys all day.

I think after sleeping on it, most of my disappointment stems from the fact Hahn is not changing anything, atleast not early in the draft.
Dome:

I'll be curious if anything comes out in the next few days / weeks about who really is making the calls with the draft. Giving Hahn most of the credit or blame for that matter might be wrong.

Was told that the pick "appeared to have Kenny's fingerprint's all over it..." That doesn't mean it's a bad pick or the wrong pick but if the comment is true you do really wonder if Rick has as much authority as suspected in things.

Lip
Old 06-07-2013, 11:30 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Dome:

I'll be curious if anything comes out in the next few days / weeks about who really is making the calls with the draft. Giving Hahn most of the credit or blame for that matter might be wrong.

Was told that the pick "appeared to have Kenny's fingerprint's all over it..." That doesn't mean it's a bad pick or the wrong pick but if the comment is true you do really wonder if Rick has as much authority as suspected in things.

Lip
Flip side, of course, is that Hahn was the Sox's AGM for almost all of Kenny's tenure so it's possible that Hahn was the driving force behind so many of the so-called "Kenny" picks the last decade.

I just think everyone who expects Hahn to be this completely different person than KW need to be more realistic in their expectations.