White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 10:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by canOcorn View Post
Rip on Clayton all you want, but the Sox will be very lucky if this guy can play 17 years in the Show.....
I wouldn't call what Clayton did playing. He wore tennis shoes in the dugout, slept with Frank Thomas' ex-wife, marched to the beat of his own drum, and spilled ice cream all over Jerry Manuel's car.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Tyler Danish is our next pick. Will have to be more of a trickster with extremely unorthodox mechanics.
Sweeet, I've wanted a submarine pitcher on the Sox ever since Billy Beane fleeced Kenny out of Chad Bradford for Miguel Olivo.

Danish has more a like a "low three-quarter" delivery like Pat Neshek, but that's still pretty cool. Kinda sucks that scouts frown on all but the textbook deliveries these days.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Sweeet, I've wanted a submarine pitcher on the Sox ever since Billy Beane fleeced Kenny out of Chad Bradford for Miguel Olivo.

Danish has more a like a "low three-quarter" delivery like Pat Neshek, but that's still pretty cool. Kinda sucks that scouts frown on all but the textbook deliveries these days.
Considering that Miguel Olivo was a key component of the trade for the winner of Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, I'll make that trade eleven times out of ten
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:

Considering Neshek blew out his arm because of it...

The kid doesn't have Neshek's talent anyway. It's low ceiling, high risk.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

I don't now about that.

Check out the article that Merkin tweeted.

Numbers: 94 IP, 156Ks 15-1, 0.00 ERA. I know that's HS, but still it's pretty sick. Who knows, maybe he has a little bit of Bradford's freakish luck with health despite having super-funky mechanics/delivery.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I don't now about that.

Check out the article that Merkin tweeted.

Numbers: 94 IP, 156Ks 15-1, 0.00 ERA. I know that's HS, but still it's pretty sick. Who knows, maybe he has a little bit of Bradford's freakish luck with health despite having super-funky mechanics/delivery.
How did he lose a game with an ERA of 0? I'm guessing there was an unearned run here or there, but pretty crazy numbers, even for High School.

Edit: Read the article, which I should have done first, and now see it was a 1-0 loss with an unearned run.

Last edited by Deadguy; 06-06-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Too lazy to read the linked article before posting
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM
WSI High Priest

He's very quick out of the stretch.

People can say all they want about arm angles leading to injuries, but as far as I'm concerned, it's all a crapshoot. Randy Johnson had quite the career. People said Sale would blow out his elbow after 3 pitches. Then there are pitchers with very "safe" motions who end up having Tommy John. Let's see how these players develop before we call Dr. Andrews and schedule them for surgeries.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

You realize that every pitcher with a slightly funky motion isn't going need their arm amputated, right?

Gavin Floyd blew his arm out last month, meanwhile Carlos Marmol of the herky-jerky violent motion has never seen the disabled list.

People said the same thing about Tim Lincecum too, and despite his issues he's been healthy as can be.

There was once a tall lefty named Randy Johnson who managed to throw damn near 300 innings a few times with his arm described by some as a ticking time bomb.

I wait on every pitch with bated breath for Chris Sale to destroy his elbow as you've prognosticated for years, and he seems to be doing well thus far.

I know there are a few actual doctors on this board, let's leave the diagnoses to them.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm ok with this. Who knows.

I just watched a few videos of the guy and it makes my arm hurt watching him pitch though.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
You realize that every pitcher with a slightly funky motion isn't going need their arm amputated, right?

Gavin Floyd blew his arm out last month, meanwhile Carlos Marmol of the herky-jerky violent motion has never seen the disabled list.

People said the same thing about Tim Lincecum too, and despite his issues he's been healthy as can be.

There was once a tall lefty named Randy Johnson who managed to throw damn near 300 innings a few times with his arm described by some as a ticking time bomb.

I wait on every pitch with bated breath for Chris Sale to destroy his elbow as you've prognosticated for years, and he seems to be doing well thus far.

I know there are a few actual doctors on this board, let's leave the diagnoses to them.
Way to make it seem like the guys I talk about aren't extreme cases with the worst possible mechanics.

Extreme cases almost always blow out their arm.

Randy Johnson is not an exception. He battled arm injuries that kept him ineffective until he was almost 30. He wasn't "the big unit" until age 29. It wasn't until he gained 50 pounds of muscle to his frame that things turned around for him. There isn't anyone in the history of baseball with his physique. No, Chris Sale is not a Randy Johnson clone. You could fit Chris Sale inside Randy Johnson's frame and still have room for another person.

Every artlicle I've seen on Danish says he's Neshek without the stuff. It shouldn't be Earth shattering to make the connection to his arm problems, Neshek was another of those extreme case ticking time bombs that went off.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 AM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Way to make it seem like the guys I talk about aren't extreme cases with the worst possible mechanics.

Randy Johnson is not an exception. He battled arm injuries that kept him ineffective until he was almost 30. He wasn't "the big unit" until age 29. It wasn't until he gained 50 pounds of muscle to his frame that things turned around for him. There isn't anyone in the history of baseball with his physique. No, Chris Sale is not a Randy Johnson clone. You could fit Chris Sale inside Randy Johnson's frame and still have room for another person.
Umm, Randy Johnson struggled with injuries because he didn't know how to pitch, gaining fifty pounds did not magically make him an effective pitcher, learning how to pitch did that.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
No, the last three times the Sox picked in the 1st round, it was the high risk/high reward type; Mitchell, Sale, and Hawkins... Problem with those guys is that they're high risk. That only 4 years into this new draft strategy 1 has already worked out to be arguably among the best players in baseball is an outstanding track record, when you think about it.
One problem I saw with Mitchell is that he was still unrefined after time in college, not right out of high school.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Ugh, good player, HUGE REACH
Why not.
A Sox tradition.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Why not.
A Sox tradition.
He's only saying that because he didn't like the pick. He is the only one saying it's a huge reach, based on the Sox's poor player development record, not the potential of the player himself.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Every artlicle I've seen on Danish says he's Neshek without the stuff. It shouldn't be Earth shattering to make the connection to his arm problems, Neshek was another of those extreme case ticking time bombs that went off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Umm, Randy Johnson struggled with injuries because he didn't know how to pitch, gaining fifty pounds did not magically make him an effective pitcher, learning how to pitch did that.
He also didn't have arm injuries until he was with the Yankees, he had frequent back problems earlier in his career.

Go Sox!!!