White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
No, the last three times the Sox picked in the 1st round, it was the high risk/high reward type; Mitchell, Sale, and Hawkins... Problem with those guys is that they're high risk. That only 4 years into this new draft strategy 1 has already worked out to be arguably among the best players in baseball is an outstanding track record, when you think about it.
Agreed, Sale has produced more than almost every pick of the past 12 years. You have to go back to 2004 to find a player (Gio) that has had that much impact in MLB. When you look back at past #1 picks of this century (including sandwich)....

2012 - Courtney Hawkins
2012 - Keon Barnum (s)
2011 - Keenyn Walker (s)
2010 - Chris Sale
2009 - Jared Mitchell
2009 - Josh Phegley (s)
2008 - Gordon Beckham
2007 - Aaron Poreda
2006 - Kyle McCulloch
2005 - Lance Broadway
2004 - Josh Fields
2004 - Tyler Lumsden (s)
2004 - Gio Gonzalez (s)
2003 - Brian Anderson
2002 - Royce Ring
2001 - Kris Honel
2001 - Wyatt Allen (s)

That's a whole lot of nothin' from 2001 to 2007.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 666
Default

Here's an article about the Sox draft preparation on MLB.com...

http://mlb.mlb.com//news/article.jsp...k_cws&c_id=cws

This is Hahn's first Draft in charge and will show his imprint, but the marching orders haven't changed for taking a player with impact. That player could be a high-school middle infielder or college pitcher. But Laumann believes the team can get someone with a high upside and someone who is signable as well.

"We might have one guy and I'd rather not comment on any specifics, one guy we deem to be a superior talent that for more than just signability reasons might slide a little bit," Laumann said. "We are going to have to play that game, if the percentages of taking that risk to get him signed outweigh getting the guy we want. We are going to get a guy we want and can sign and address things we need to get done."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-06-2013, 11:04 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
But Laumann believes the team can get someone with a high upside and someone who is signable as well.

"We might have one guy and I'd rather not comment on any specifics, one guy we deem to be a superior talent that for more than just signability reasons might slide a little bit," Laumann said. "We are going to have to play that game, if the percentages of taking that risk to get him signed outweigh getting the guy we want. We are going to get a guy we want and can sign and address things we need to get done."
"Signability", I'm so tired of that expression. With the new rules, almost all players taken in the first round should be "signable".
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,378
Default

Signability is in the eye of the beholder though isn't it? What a player an agent or for that matter the rest of MLB says is signable may not fit into the White Sox definition of signable.

Remember they've spent the least amount of money signing minor league talent over the past five years than anyone in MLB.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 54,203
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Signability is in the eye of the beholder though isn't it? What a player an agent or for that matter the rest of MLB says is signable may not fit into the White Sox definition of signable.

Remember they've spent the least amount of money signing minor league talent over the past five years than anyone in MLB.

Lip
That's basically irrelevant now under the new CBA which essentially sets your spending limit for you.

However the Sox, or any other team, operated under the old CBA essentially has no meaning any more.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Signability is in the eye of the beholder though isn't it? What a player an agent or for that matter the rest of MLB says is signable may not fit into the White Sox definition of signable.

Remember they've spent the least amount of money signing minor league talent over the past five years than anyone in MLB.

Lip
Well, the new rules are there to level the playing field. If a player thinks they can wait a year and be drafted higher in 2014 (like Mark Appel last year), they have that right. But there should be no more reaches and head scratchers in the first few rounds. Take the best player and give them what MLB dictates as "slot money".

As long as players and agents can no longer hold teams hostage with absurd, out of line demands, then 99.9% of players should be signable.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,933
Blog Entries: 2
Default

All I ask is no reaches and no polished college pitchers who have no "Stuff". Draft the best talent available.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,562
Default

Chris Anderson, who Law has been projecting, would be a solid get in my opinion. They need to build up his endurance, but man his slider can be devastating. He also has a decent change up. If they can get that arm ready for 190-200 IP while sitting in the 90s on the fastball, kid is going to be solid.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:04 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Chris Anderson, who Law has been projecting, would be a solid get in my opinion. They need to build up his endurance, but man his slider can be devastating. He also has a decent change up. If they can get that arm ready for 190-200 IP while sitting in the 90s on the fastball, kid is going to be solid.
Agreed, he is the one pitcher in our draft pick "range" that has me most interested.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,727
Blog Entries: 1
Default

It will be interesting to see who the Astros take first. I've heard it could be either of Gray, Appel or Bryant.

Something tells me Boras will be up to his old tricks with Appel. I wonder how far he'll fall this year, with no college to fall back on...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
blandman blandman is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,482
Default

I hope we at least take a look at Tim Anderson and not get scared by the fact that he might go to college. Kids the only decent SS prospect in the draft and has a real shot. Plus, we're absolutely barren there in our system (I know, pretty much everywhere else too).
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 666
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I hope we at least take a look at Tim Anderson and not get scared by the fact that he might go to college. Kids the only decent SS prospect in the draft and has a real shot. Plus, we're absolutely barren there in our system (I know, pretty much everywhere else too).
I like him too. Well, as much as I can like a h.s. kid with limited video. Some guy from Baseball America was on the Score and Anderson's name came up. They seem to think the Sox are dialed in on a college pitcher, but who knows?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-06-2013, 05:37 PM
EMachine10 EMachine10 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,412
Default

I would be concerned about Anderson's bat developing, and not only because our farm system has not been good at it historically.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM
russ99 russ99 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,727
Blog Entries: 1
Default

First two picks make the prognosticators look dumb.

I'm really surprised on Appel going to Houston, hope they can sign him. The Astros did sign two of Boras' players last year.

Also the Cubs not picking Gray is a bit odd, as they have little SP depth in their system.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minooka
Posts: 9,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
First two picks make the prognosticators look dumb.

I'm really surprised on Appel going to Houston, hope they can sign him. The Astros did sign two of Boras' players last year.

Also the Cubs not picking Gray is a bit odd, as they have little SP depth in their system.
Theo has a belief that all-star hitters come from the top rounds, where all-star pitchers develop more from later rounds...... its pretty proven and I think its a decent philosphy. Hard to not like the Bryant pick, of everyone, he has the best chance to be something special in the draft.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.