White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Unless they have evidence as constituted in the CBA as a failed test it's a witch hunt.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Send in the Lawyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLL1855 View Post
Looking forward to watching Braun squirm some more.
His body language in that presser after he got off was the picture of guilt. Take away the MVP!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
I agree, Rodgers usually chooses his words carefully so I was surprised when he came out and said what he said. I don't know how similar the testing is for the NFL and MLB so that would have been the only thing Rodgers could speak on.
There's some testing, but it's not nearly as thorough and, frankly, I would be stunned, STUNNED, if the number of current NFL players on some sort of PED is anything less than 100%; just in football, nobody really cares. You're going to tell me a guy who tears his ACL in December comes back the very next year and rushes for 2,000+ yards? Come on. Those guys are all doping.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
There's some testing, but it's not nearly as thorough and, frankly, I would be stunned, STUNNED, if the number of current NFL players on some sort of PED is anything less than 100%; just in football, nobody really cares. You're going to tell me a guy who tears his ACL in December comes back the very next year and rushes for 2,000+ yards? Come on. Those guys are all doping.
Yup. Baseball seems to be only of the 4 major American sports that takes testing seriously.

Whenever the Sox or Brewers win, it's PARTY TIME!!!!!

Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 AM
WSI Guru

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...ion-biogenesis

Lip
Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

This is like putting a small 4 inch speed bump on a NASCAR track....this will never end, may as well let em drug and let the game evolve

RIP Casey Viator youngest ever AAU Mr America (age 19)
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by white sox bill View Post
This is like putting a small 4 inch speed bump on a NASCAR track....this will never end, may as well let em drug and let the game evolve
And what happens twenty years from now when retired players come forward about the side-effects incurred by PED use? The I have a problem with the use of PEDs has nothing to do with the idea of having a level playing field in Major League Baseball, as there is no such thing. My primary complaint against the use of any supplementation is that the side-effects of long-term use cannot be predicted: are players willing to risk the remainder of their lives for the sake of prolonging their careers by four or five years? I don't know that I'd be willing to take that risk, but baseball needs to consider both the short- and long-term ramifications of allowing PEDs to become such a problem.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 AM
WSI Personality

Let's play a guessing game.

Name the seven MLB franchises that have had no player suspended for use of banned substances since 2005, nor have a player on the list provided by ESPN of potential suspensions as a result of the Biogenesis investigation.

1. Angels
2. Pirates
3. Red Sox
4. Cardinals
5. Braves
6. Cubs
7. White Sox

Now, guess the four MLB franchises that have four players on those two lists:

1. Mariners
2. Mets
3. Yankees
4. Padres

You can do your own research to figure out the names of the six franchises with three players.

When I look at these lists of players I think, these guys were all caught red-handed and they are going to get punished for it, and well they have earned that punishment.

Then I look at the list of teams with the number of suspended players for each. I wonder if the teams with no suspended players have just been lucky to have had no PED users on the team, or, maybe, they actively assess players for risk of PED use and steer away from them.

And then I look at the list of four teams with four suspended players and wonder if they are just unlucky, or maybe they are willing to accept the risk that some of their roster may be PED users. After all, the franchises aren't sanctioned by the league if a player or two or three or four or eight ends up suspended for PED use. Sure they lose a player to suspension, but thats a competitive limit rather than a true financial sanction on the franchise.

There is no way that PED use will be diminished by sanctions on the players alone.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
Honestly, I doubt there is any fan base out there that wouldn't have the majority of their fans doing something like that. Most fans are morons.
Exactly.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
What is Peyton Manning on?
Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Probably steroids

Last edited by doublem23; 06-05-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
The meat that the butcher was cutting for him.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny bench View Post
Let's play a guessing game.

Name the seven MLB franchises that have had no player suspended for use of banned substances since 2005, nor have a player on the list provided by ESPN of potential suspensions as a result of the Biogenesis investigation.

1. Angels
2. Pirates
3. Red Sox
4. Cardinals
5. Braves
6. Cubs
7. White Sox

Now, guess the four MLB franchises that have four players on those two lists:

1. Mariners
2. Mets
3. Yankees
4. Padres

You can do your own research to figure out the names of the six franchises with three players.

When I look at these lists of players I think, these guys were all caught red-handed and they are going to get punished for it, and well they have earned that punishment.

Then I look at the list of teams with the number of suspended players for each. I wonder if the teams with no suspended players have just been lucky to have had no PED users on the team, or, maybe, they actively assess players for risk of PED use and steer away from them.

And then I look at the list of four teams with four suspended players and wonder if they are just unlucky, or maybe they are willing to accept the risk that some of their roster may be PED users. After all, the franchises aren't sanctioned by the league if a player or two or three or four or eight ends up suspended for PED use. Sure they lose a player to suspension, but thats a competitive limit rather than a true financial sanction on the franchise.

There is no way that PED use will be diminished by sanctions on the players alone.
The Sox willingly traded for Tyler Flowers after he was already busted for juicing with the Braves organization so you can forget thinking that they actively assess players for PED use and steer clear. I think it is much more about who got caught than certain teams cheating any more or less than any other team.

In fact, if you take a look at the list of minor league guys busted every organization on your list goes away.

http://www.baseballssteroidera.com/m...uspensions.htm
Old 06-05-2013, 12:41 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComiskeyBrewer View Post
They have to. If they don't, these cases will quickly be dismissed and baseball will once again become the butt of many jokes.
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/bl...ase-this-time/
Old 06-05-2013, 02:25 PM
WSI Prelate

I think we're safe.