White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-03-2013, 03:43 PM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Oh come on. I have no reason to believe you would make up a story like this, but that has nothing to do with the value of the ball. If you just met some guy on the street selling that exact same ball, are you just going to give him/her the benefit of the doubt, assume it is real, and fork over a ton of cash for it if you were into collecting autographs?
I agree. Were I in this situation, I'd want proof that the autographs were legitimate before purchasing the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 29,505
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Oh come on. I have no reason to believe you would make up a story like this, but that has nothing to do with the value of the ball. If you just met some guy on the street selling that exact same ball, are you just going to give him/her the benefit of the doubt, assume it is real, and fork over a ton of cash for it if you were into collecting autographs?
However, the logic of that makes no sense. If someone on the street was going to forge signatures on a ball, he wouldnt "leave money on the table" by adding Ozzie Virgil Jr, Julio Cruz and Steve Yeager. If you were forging autographs, you would only have top names on it.
__________________
2014 Attendance Record: 4-5; 0.444
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2013, 10:44 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufram View Post
I used the word significant rather than valuable for a reason. As if I or my coach or anyone else would sit down and practice over 20 signatures, some quite obscure, to create a forgery.

I found it a few months ago and it has sat on my desk and I was guessing at a lot of the names and I like holding it. I recognized Oh, Killebrew (a great hitter), Snider, Minoso, Campaneris and a few others. But last week, in another box for some reason, I found the list that came with the ball. Now they are easily identified. I will give it away one day hopefully to someone who might get the same feeling I get when I hold it... a connection to some players from the past. Perhaps the only connection between all of these guys is that they were all in Japan in 1989. I'm not a collector and I don't really like pristine things kept in sealed glass containers.

I also have an 1865 Lincoln penny I found in my English house some years back. It is very worn but you can see the date. Worthless to a collector but it is in my valuables box. When I look at it I think about the era and who could have held it, spent it, or left it in a house in England.
You can get these auto's verified by reputable businesses like PSA or Beckett who do cards also I believe. I have a whole bunch of HOF auto's I want to get graded and get verified myself. It adds value to the item but it is a little pricey, like 30 bucks per signing I believe. Not sure what a ball would cost. I assume they have a database of sigs they use to verify with. Value goes way up after they stamp the approval letter to it. I disagree that the ball is worthless. Oh, Killebrew, and Snider, as well as Minnie are all HOF (except Minnie) standard players. Legends really. The other poster might be right about the other sigs bringing the value down but there are some cool players there as well from that era. I would just put it in a nice display case and show it off to visitors, it's a very cool ball. Fake auto's do not include a list of players like that . If you really want to, check e- bay and search the web for auto's of these players and compare, I always do that just to verify if I didn't see it signed myself.

Last edited by mahagga73; 06-03-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
However, the logic of that makes no sense. If someone on the street was going to forge signatures on a ball, he wouldnt "leave money on the table" by adding Ozzie Virgil Jr, Julio Cruz and Steve Yeager. If you were forging autographs, you would only have top names on it.
Yeah , no way a forger adds sigs that bring the value down. I don't really get into autograph buying myself, because it costs to much. I don't really believe it's real unless I saw it signed or it is obviously authentic like this ball. They arrested some guy at the national convention for selling fake autographed items a couple years ago in Rosemont I believe. Imagine all the people who spent top dollar for these legendary items only to find out they were fake. No thanks, I will stick to vintage cards.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,058
Default

I would think Sadaharu Oh's autograph would get some high buyers on the ball. I don't know much about autogrphs though.

I remember watching an episode of Pawn Stars and some guy had a 1951 New York Yankees autogrphed ball with DiMaggio, Mantle, Stengal and Berra as some of the big names and they had a expert authenticate the ball yet the poor guy was only offered like 300 bucks for it. I would have thought that ball would be worth thousands.

On the other pawn shop show "Hard Core Pawn" some guy brought in a autographed Lou Brock baseball and was asking 100,000 dollars for it and I think the owners basically told him it was almost worthless and that the ball was worth more without the autograph because it was a old baseball.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 PM
mahagga73 mahagga73 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Downs, Il.
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
I would think Sadaharu Oh's autograph would get some high buyers on the ball. I don't know much about autogrphs though.

I remember watching an episode of Pawn Stars and some guy had a 1951 New York Yankees autogrphed ball with DiMaggio, Mantle, Stengal and Berra as some of the big names and they had a expert authenticate the ball yet the poor guy was only offered like 300 bucks for it. I would have thought that ball would be worth thousands.

On the other pawn shop show "Hard Core Pawn" some guy brought in a autographed Lou Brock baseball and was asking 100,000 dollars for it and I think the owners basically told him it was almost worthless and that the ball was worth more without the autograph because it was a old baseball.
He wanted all that for a Lou Brock? Man, he got some bad info. If Pawn Stars offered 300 it was probably worth 2000. They are in the business of taking whatever advantage they can of desperate people. I can't understand the Yankee ball only being worth that .Those are 4 bigtime legends . I would seriously question that. Maybe the auto's were faded or poor ?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
chicagowhitesox1 chicagowhitesox1 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora Illinois
Posts: 1,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
He wanted all that for a Lou Brock? Man, he got some bad info. If Pawn Stars offered 300 it was probably worth 2000. They are in the business of taking whatever advantage they can of desperate people. I can't understand the Yankee ball only being worth that .Those are 4 bigtime legends . I would seriously question that. Maybe the auto's were faded or poor ?
Some of the autographs on the 1951 ball were faded and the lady had a hard time determining some of the names but she did say it was real. I thought it was interesting how she used Mantles autograph as a way to determine if it was real. Apparently Mantle signed his name different as he got older by using a sailboat type of M and the ball showed Mantle's autograph as how he signed balls when he was younger.

I think the guy with the Lou Brock ball in Hard Core Pawn just wanted to get on tv although he did look pretty disappointed when he found out how much it was worth.

You can probably look these scenes up on YouTube. I would post it but I don't know how to post videos.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
However, the logic of that makes no sense. If someone on the street was going to forge signatures on a ball, he wouldnt "leave money on the table" by adding Ozzie Virgil Jr, Julio Cruz and Steve Yeager. If you were forging autographs, you would only have top names on it.
Seems the logic would work perfectly well in making it appear to be more realistic for the very reason you mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-04-2013, 11:22 AM
BainesHOF BainesHOF is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 2,951
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx View Post
Seems the logic would work perfectly well in making it appear to be more realistic for the very reason you mentioned.
Yes, add random names so that a forged ball that could have been passed off as valuable is now a forged ball that's worthless. That'll fool everybody, Mr. Jinx!!!

The "Pawn Stars" workers don't know what they're doing when it comes to sports memorabilia unless they bring in their expert. Most Letters of Authenticy are worthless. If you can forge an autograph/item you can certainly forge a piece of paper.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Mr. Jinx Mr. Jinx is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Yes, add random names so that a forged ball that could have been passed off as valuable is now a forged ball that's worthless. That'll fool everybody, Mr. Jinx!!!

The "Pawn Stars" workers don't know what they're doing when it comes to sports memorabilia unless they bring in their expert. Most Letters of Authenticy are worthless. If you can forge an autograph/item you can certainly forge a piece of paper.
About as genius as paying real value for any autographed ball without any guarantees that it is authentic.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 PM
kufram kufram is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Of England
Posts: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
You can get these auto's verified by reputable businesses like PSA or Beckett who do cards also I believe. I have a whole bunch of HOF auto's I want to get graded and get verified myself. It adds value to the item but it is a little pricey, like 30 bucks per signing I believe. Not sure what a ball would cost. I assume they have a database of sigs they use to verify with. Value goes way up after they stamp the approval letter to it. I disagree that the ball is worthless. Oh, Killebrew, and Snider, as well as Minnie are all HOF (except Minnie) standard players. Legends really. The other poster might be right about the other sigs bringing the value down but there are some cool players there as well from that era. I would just put it in a nice display case and show it off to visitors, it's a very cool ball. Fake auto's do not include a list of players like that . If you really want to, check e- bay and search the web for auto's of these players and compare, I always do that just to verify if I didn't see it signed myself.
Thank you for that. This was the kind of discussion I was hoping for. Money is not the indicator of all value. In this instance I was given the ball and I will give it away one day. I'm not worried about whether or not people think it is genuine because I know it is genuine. Even the names I never heard give it a significance to me. It's a bit of history in my hand.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.