White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 03:48 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Not with his contract. It wouldn't just be bad business for us. It would be bad for baseball. Suddenly, the days of large guaranteed contracts would be put at risk. As much as I'd like to see a salary cap in MLB, one of the attractions for teams in the long run is that they get fans to come out and see their stars produce for an extended period. Dunn should not be the player to ruin it for everyone. Believe it or not, most players are serviceable at worst for contracts like these. Has Soriano lived up to his deal every year with the Cubs? No. His defense has left something to be desired in years past. Still, most would love to have him on their team. The Cubs have been rather lucky to have him all this time.

If Adam Dunn is the reason blockbuster deals can't be played out anymore, I fear for the future of this game.
what

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Thigpen View Post
Name the last Sox player released in the middle of a 4 year contract.

Heck, name the last "star" player to get released in the middle of their contract. This isn't football.
I didn't say the Sox had done it, and no, it's not usually guys who are currently stars, but rather guys who got too much money and took a nose dive. Bobby Bonilla comes to mind, and the Mets even paid him more over a long time to do it, though he kind of orchestrated that himself.

Carlos Silva was released by the Cubs with a year and $11.5 million left on his contract, though some of that was being paid by the Mariners.

I guess doing it with more than a year on a contract isn't common, but doing it going into the last year of a contract isn't unprecedented. Dunn's performance with his contract is rather unprecedented, so maybe he should be the exception to the 1-year-remaining release norm.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's not quite the same, but Anaheim traded Gary Matthews Jr to the Mets along with $22.3 million of the 2 years and $23.4 million he still had left. The Mets then released him in June with a year and a half of that remaining. Obviously the Mets didn't car that they released him, because they didn't have to eat the money, but Anaheim got nothing back for him and ate two years of salary.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisj View Post
It's not quite the same, but Anaheim traded Gary Matthews Jr to the Mets along with $22.3 million of the 2 years and $23.4 million he still had left. The Mets then released him in June with a year and a half of that remaining. Obviously the Mets didn't car that they released him, because they didn't have to eat the money, but Anaheim got nothing back for him and ate two years of salary.
That reminds me...

Who are the Mets 2 highest-paid OFs this season? Jason Bay. And Bobby Bonilla.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That reminds me...

Who are the Mets 2 highest-paid OFs this season? Jason Bay. And Bobby Bonilla.
And they released Bay which made them have to pay him $18 million this year and $3 million next year while Seattle pays him $1 million.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Since we're not competing, releasing him wouldn't make sense. As his contract nears it's finish, if he gets hot enough, we might be able to get something for him.
He couldn't get hot enough if someone set him on fire.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The only guy I can come up with, and this is not even remotely close in magnitude, is/was Royce Clayton.
Perhaps Dunn should sleep with Frank's ex and then wear sneakers in the dugout. That might do the trick.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
The only guy I can come up with, and this is not even remotely close in magnitude, is/was Royce Clayton.
I've been trying to think of some too, off the top of my head I can think of Milton Bradley, Carlos Silva and Carlos Zambrano (but they might have been on the last years of their contracts), Chone Figgins. I am sure there are others that I am just completely blanking on.

Go Sox!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM
WSI High Priest

I still don't think it's unreasonable for the Sox to trade Dunn to a deep-pockets NL team, with the caveat being that we take back an equally bad contract in return.

Also, if we can wait until next July, I'm sure a contender would take a flyer on 3 months of his salary.

Cutting him just puts the Sox in a big hole financially, that would take years to dig out from.

IMO, if he's in the lineup Rios should bat after him, so he could at least get something to hit once in a while. Face it, he'll probably put up crappy numbers batting 3rd, 4th or 8th, so juggling makes little sense.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Cutting him just puts the Sox in a big hole financially, that would take years to dig out from.
The Sox have to pay him whether he's on the team or not. The financial hole is already there. The only additional cost would be the league minimum paid to his replacement.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's a sunk cost. The difference between 23 and 25 mil is not much so release him and sign an a guy that has a WAR > -1 for 1.5 years at 2 Mil total and you've upgraded Dunn while only increasing his contract by around 9%.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post

You can't actually think you're the first guy whose made these points
No, cant claim that... On this board the knives came out early. I was one of the deluded few that thought, maybe, just maybe, I was watching somebody who could turn things around once so called "set backs" were overcome. The benefit given to the doubt has long since passed since then..

BK59
Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:

Heck, name the last "star" player to get released in the middle of their contract. This isn't football.
Not a "star" player or a Sox player, but I'll throw Russ Ortiz into the discussion.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2482960

He had $22 million left on his contract at the time the Diamondbacks cut him loose. Of course, that was six or seven years ago. Teams don't eat money like that too often.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-31-2013, 09:25 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:

Wouldn't Andruw Jones being released from the Dodgers fall into this category? That's the first example that comes to my head.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
No, cant claim that... On this board the knives came out early. I was one of the deluded few that thought, maybe, just maybe, I was watching somebody who could turn things around once so called "set backs" were overcome. The benefit given to the doubt has long since passed since then..

BK59
They come out early, often and mostly for no good reason. BTW I didn't take your post in the manner in which it was laughed at.